The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Borg Warner EFR turbos

Paul Whiffin

My new BW should be arriving this week from Fullrace; spoke to Geoff and he convinced me to try a Fullrace special build turbo which is similar, but not identical, to the 8875. Apparently it should spool faster than my 67DBB and make more power at the same boost. What more could I ask for? :D

I read up on the EFR turbos and discussed my options in depth with Geoff and decided not to go the EFR route and am more than happy with that decision. If I see some dyno plots to convince me they offer a strong advantage (as a direct turbo swap on an existing installation) then I'd try one.

Back to back Precision vs BW test coming up shortly at SRR :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short story involved there mate....I still can't drive after a shoulder op but I'm hoping that will change this week once I've got enough strength to stretch out my arm and change gear! :limp: :D

As soon as I can drive I will check the car over 100%, change the diff oil and fit my wider rear wheels, fit my exhaust manifold pressure transducer kit and then book in to SRR as soon as Ryan is available. Once that is done I'll have a base run on my 67DBB for comparison and I can then come home, fit the BW and head back with no other changes and get a full picture of how they compare. I'm looking to do it all ASAP, the only thing I may do over the winter is relocate my battery and fit the Greddy intake and Q45 throttle body.

im not won over either...most commercial/plant t4 frame turbos are internally gated, lots of automotive turbos use a soleniod to control the gate...mondeoTDCI's ring a bell, so the only "new" technology seems to be the BOV unit being integral to the Comp housing.

what i would like to see is someone build a set of TT hybrids, using billet technology so they can be pushed beyond 2Bar and still be within thier effeciency range, still maintaining the quick spool of stock tubbies :)

so the only "new" technology seems to be the BOV unit being integral to the Comp housing.

what i would like to see is someone build a set of TT hybrids, using billet technology so they can be pushed beyond 2Bar and still be within thier effeciency range, still maintaining the quick spool of stock tubbies :)

That's not even new either, they've just renamed it from "diverter valve". A technology they've been producing for years for Porsche and VAG, amongst others.

What would be nice new tech for the aftermarket scene would be large frame VTG turbos that eliminate the wastegates altogether.

I thought we established early on that none of this is new. Wastegates, bov or recirc units, boost control solenoids are and have been part of turbo tech for a very long time, the only difference here is large frame turbos with them built in.

Garrett aswell as Borg Warner have been doing this for years on smaller units, just looks like BW might be the first on large tubbys.

That's not even new either, they've just renamed it from "diverter valve". A technology they've been producing for years for Porsche and VAG, amongst others.

What would be nice new tech for the aftermarket scene would be large frame VTG turbos that eliminate the wastegates altogether.

yes but diverter type valves hasnt been available on large frame turbos if you know what i mean.

VTG technology isnt the easiest to implement though in a larger frame, we discussed it in great detail a year or so ago, as dimitri had been using the AEM to control a set of porker tubbies on a supra IIRC.

we have compounding, twin charging, VNT, VTG, and other techologies being pushed, but there are lots of other smaller less beneficial ones that i would like to see used with in the supra domain.

The main one, is definately stock replacement catridges using larger billet wheels, supoorted by triple bearing technology which still maintain the spooling characterics or stock turbos, but the advantage of being able to push them harder. Imagine a set sequential tubbies capable of support 600hp+ that spool like stock :D

The issue with that is a limited audience on an old car, where else could units like that be easy fitted :search:

These other units have lots of applications with standard fitment.

people have been hybriding turbos for years though wez, using techology available to them, it wont be long before a big supplier in the supra performance arera like PHR or Titan approach the likes of comp, billet, bw, precision to have stock wheels and bearing centers remade using this technology in order to supply a Modern type hybrid turbo.

its happening already with ct26 turbos. the biggest trim was a 62-1 and even that caused bearing and shaft damage after sustained uses due to the large compressor wheel. Now VRP are making hybrids using billet and triple bearing techology which use larger compressor wheels (67mm) that can be pushed way beyond what the older 360 thrust hybrids could take and without any problems..and these are being used in mk3 supras - not a big market at all :)

VTG technology isnt the easiest to implement though in a larger frame, we discussed it in great detail a year or so ago, as dimitri had been using the AEM to control a set of porker tubbies on a supra IIRC.

It'll come, as you know yourself, it takes a while for tuners to get their heads around things. I know great strides have been made as far as controlling VTG's ( well it has in the German scene) so it's just a case of making them in bigger sizes now. :cool: