The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Windows Phones 7 Series

edinlexusV8

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;) - That was quick!

On the same day the Android marketplace hit officially hit 100,000 apps, Windows Phone 7 users also hit a much more significant milestone – 1000 apps in the Windows phone 7 marketplace.

It took the Windows Mobile Marketplace 7 months to break the 1000 app mark, something the Windows phone 7 marketplace did in less than 3 weeks after Marketplace opened.

Okay.......

I got my hands on the LG device today, and I will say for a quick 5 minute play with the unit, it was very responsive and seemed actually quite nice. Couldn't test many of the features because it was a Telstra device.

I was pleasantly surprised at how usable it turned out to be actually.

Hello Folks,

Finally got my hands on a WP7 devide. As I am on Vodafone went with LG Optimus 7. This device just blows me away. Just the responsiveness and screen transitions on the metro interface is just orgasmic! Loving the Zune pass and a load of free apps. The battery life is not bad at all. Like the office suite that comes on the phone esp One Note that saves all notes on the cloud/Skydrive. MS did a good job on Bing maps and search too. It is way way better than any WinMo phone.

Ok some of the features are missing compared to iPhone and Andriod but I dont have to wait for WP8 phone or for a 7.1 phone. Copy+Paste is in beta already and an app lets me watch videos on youtube already! Btw multitasking is build very well in to MS apps but 3rd party apps cannot just yet use this feature yet. The facebook, twitter and youtube apps are great!

If you have any questions about this device give me a shout!

After playing with WP7 devices for the last 2 day I would def recommend them. One of the issues I have identified with LG Optimus 7 is that the bluetooth doesnot work! So not good to pair with handfree in the car. This came as a bummer as I am with Vodafone and I took Optimus 7 on a contract. After replacing 3 LGs and a number of calls to Vodafone and LG customer service I finally ended up with HTC Trophy which is nothing but excellent!

• 1 month later...

ok found an iPhone user's unbiased review of WP7. Before the release of WP7 I never though you can compare a WP7 phone and iOS4 as iOS4 is the best smartphone OS in the market right now with 3 years head start and 4 versions.

I will wait for comments and views. Does anybody here own a WP7 device?

ok found an iPhone user's unbiased review of WP7. Before the release of WP7 I never though you can compare a WP7 phone and iOS4 as iOS4 is the best smartphone OS in the market right now with 3 years head start and 4 versions.

I'm not buying this comment, it's not as if MS have never been in the business of building OS's or GUI's for platforms. I mean at the end of the day the iPhone just resembles a cut down version of the Apple Mac OS.

I wont judge the Windows 7 Phones until I've seen one in the flesh, it does look like a good twist on the user front end though, so I'll give them that for trying to be different and thinking away from the existing standards.

Initially when I saw some reviews on the internet about WP7 way before their release, I really did not like the main UI screens with tiles and hubs though I liked the metro interface. But after having the phone for the last 6 weeks, I have nothing but praise for the amazing work MS has done. Th UI interface is very fast and fluid and it grew on me and now I think it is one of the best feature in a WP7 device. Would like to hear views from other WP7 device owners.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've got an HTC Win7 device at the moment, and initial impressions aren't good. The device isn't what I would call intuitive.

I'm not convinced on the UI either :(

Bit more info....

1. Screen rotation isn't there... somethings rotate, others don't

2. Photo enhancer... somewhat pointless but hey ho

3. Sound, VERY tinny, and not a patch on the iphone

4. The search button takes you to Bing and not context sensitive

5. Screen brightness isn't all that, iphone is far superior with the desire coming in 2nd. Turned the brightness up on the WM7 and the background went grey...

6. Video playback looks computery (almost as though there is a slight jitter, not fluid)

7. Installing a game toook AGGGGESSS, and that is on 50mb wifi....

Trust me, it is going to take a while to love a WP7 phone and its simplicity, esp if you are coming from a phone like an iPhone or a HTC Desire which have a pretty decent UI. I would like to hear your experiences with this phone after using it for a couple of weeks and how you find it going back to an iPhone or Desire. My HTC Trophy7 has quite a loud speaker. There is a known issue with adjusting the brigtness settings with WP7. Found no issues with installing apps/games. They actually install pretty quickly and there is a performance upgrade coming in the first update due beginning of Feb. The bing application on an iPhone is way superior than bing on WP7. For a better browsing experience try SurfCube (still in v1.0 waiting for an performance update in V2.0). The UI is pretty fast and feels fast. Check this video for a quick performance comparison (Overall not bad for a Version 1 OS when you compare with Nexus One or iPhone 1.0 though its is a bit behind in some features when you compare with an iPhone or an Andriod 2.3 phone. The updates are coming soon anyway -

Having seen first hand the HTC HD7 to say I was let down is an understatement purely as i'd seen the phone in the shop and it looked real nice!

Anyway, having getting some 'hands-on' time (using the same HD7 as Gav) I'd have to agree with everything he says.. Maybe half the issues we both found are all down to the phone but as for the colour/contrast issues, come on, after seeing the HD7 physically next to an iPhone 4 and HTC desire, if I worked for microsoft, or whoever made these things, i'd be embarrased. Picture quality i'd say, is like putting a 20 year old CRT tv playing betamax next to a 1080p HD bluray! Sound was appauling, I along with Gav counldn't listen to it for more thna a few seconds. Soooo tinny it's horrid!

I think the biggest let down is the interface (is that the correct term?). I'm sorry, I wanna see whats on the screen, not have to slide right god knows how many times to read the rest of the writing.

Again, as i've said before, the tiles thing is the biggest pile of camel plop i've seen in many years. Its so basic and tacky! Don't ever think i'll be getting a WP7 phone.. EVER!

Well everybody have their personal opinion. I have not heard anything other than positive feedback from anybody who used this phone for a month or two. To be honest the manufactures esp HTC let MS down with the quality of handsets esp cameras, speakers, memory type etc. Infact HTC has used Nexus One's hardware on most of the WP7 handsets which is more than an year old.

To be honest the manufactures esp HTC let MS down with the quality of handsets esp cameras, speakers, memory type etc. Infact HTC has used Nexus One's hardware on most of the WP7 handsets which is more than an year old.

Are you saying Microsoft don't have a say in the matter?

HTC can maybe take 'some' of the blame for the device, such as speakers and screen brightness, but the UI itself is MSs, and that is the bit that just doesn't work for me. It is that bad I have no intention of 'sticking' with it for a few weeks to get used to it, and this device is going back in cupboard. The whole tile affair is just messy, screen real estate is wasted on the sides.

The bit that made me chuckle, was a screenshot for Need 4 speed from the market place. The images were originally up loaded 90 degree off, so no matter which way you twist the phone the image is wrong and you are chasing it round the screen....BAD user experience with that, sure it probably isn't MS's fault but it is their marketplace and as from an end-user POV that is what I see.

I'm getting my hands on an HTC desire HD tomorrow which is pretty much identical to the 7 device, so will see if the android OS makes better use of similar hardware...