The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Windows Phones 7 Series

edinlexusV8

I understand some of the members here dont like the UI on WP7 phones. But this has been my view aswell when I saw these phones for the first time. Use it for a week or so and you will start LOVING it!! I agree with some of your comments that its feature set is quite a bit smaller than a current iPhone or current Android phones. But coming to UI I am pretty sure MS has nailed it perfectly. Have a look at this post on Gizmodo last year talking about the WP7 UI. You cannot call Gizmodo a Microsoft's bitch!

http://gizmodo.com/5472010/windows-phone-7-interface-microsoft-has-out+appled-apple

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12238367

Microsoft has confirmed that some handsets running its Windows Phone 7 software are sending and receiving "phantom data".

Earlier this year, users complained on net forums that their phones were automatically eating into their monthly data plans without their knowledge.

Microsoft said its investigation found that most problems were caused by an unnamed "third party" service.

Riiiight

Microsoft has admitted that not all problems may have the same root cause and has said it was still "investigating" other potential reasons for the fault.

IE : We don't know yet....

The firm also said that it was looking into "potential workarounds" until the issue was solved.

- There are bugs and we need to bodge it....

Microsoft said its investigation found that most problems were caused by an unnamed "third party" service.

Wasn't us Guv, must be someone else....

Typical MS, reminds of this vid

GH_StQ6KdW0

Oh wait, it is Microsoft, they must be write, they never make a mistake... ;)

Actually that number comes with a big caveat since it started circulating a few weeks earlier, that even that mashable article, or the MS link it references, are carefully avoiding to shed light on. Those reported are 1.5 million handset sold "to carriers", or "by manufacturers" (which mostly sell to carriers, gosh).

For all we know, 90% of those 1.5 million might be still be unsold, sitting on shelves and warehouses and NOT in the hands of a customer. And that kind of carefully treading around the ambiguity is a giant, glowing, blinking warning sign..

Well my phone is not sending any PHANTOM data. Most of the issues you mentioned sound very childish (atleast to me). I am yet to see any software that is bug free! BBC is always critical about MS and are usually biased towards Apple.Very few people are having this data problem and is only happening in US. I dont see any problem in linking it to some 3rd party service.

Most of the issues you mentioned sound very childish (atleast to me). I am yet to see any software that is bug free! BBC is always critical about MS and are usually biased towards Apple.Very few people are having this data problem and is only happening in US. I dont see any problem in linking it to some 3rd party service.

Hahahaha, struck the ol' MS nerve have i :)

So the people who designed the software are unable to debug their own OS and see what is running on a system, that in itself says everything....It really isn't that difficult to work out what application/OS section is sending traffic, which means to me that it will probably get resolved in the next service pack...

From not-the-bbc

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/microsoft-passes-blame-for-windows-phone-7-phantom-data-18700

Microsoft has so far refused to reveal how many end users have purchased Windows Phone 7 handsets, although it has confirmed that it shipped 1.5 million devices to mobile operators and retailers globally.

Earlier this week an LG Electronics executive labelled the sales figures for Windows Phone 7 as ‘underwhelming’, but he said that the devices showed potential.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/19/microsoft-tracks-down-phantom-data-bug-in-windows-phone-7-poi/

Redmond's already reached out to help 'em make the necessary fixes; the story isn't necessarily over, though, because they're still "investigating additional potential root causes," which we presume could involve the operating system itself

And those were just first few on google....

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to be rude dude BUT I think the problem is that tacky 'tile' home screen. Not being funny, there are people like yourself and Gav (You must work for MS!!, where as Gav is open to all, although seems sold on droid.) and there are the 'normal' people. The 0.1% of people (Like yourself) look further than a home screen and look at physical specs. The other 99.9% of people (average Joe Public) i'd say, look at the phone itself first. If the phone looks nice, then they press the sleep/wake button... Then they see a nice picture OR they see some random, coloured tiles with a choice of white or black background. END OF! I'm sorry, I tried to look a little closer and indepth but it's just not for me. The waste of 1/4 of the screen to start with is a bit pointless. Anyways, not having a dig at you, just my own personal view of why there is such a lack of sales, apart from the whole 3rd party issues!

Gav is open to all, although seems sold on droid.

Oh, I'm not completely unbiased, I am a droid guy by choice, purely because I've had the chance to play with all three main players, and I keep going back to the same device, my android.... I've stuck with the iphone 4 now for almost 2 months, yes it is a nice device, but the OS is bordering on old hat now. The win7 phone I keep picking up at work TRYING to like it and it just doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Nokia has been making Windows Mobile phones for ages now. This is nothing new (only if you started using smart phones in the lsat 2-3 years). Only surprise is that they dropped thier enterprise software MeeGo after investing so much into it. I know this news is coming for about 4 months now when they replaced the CEO of Nokia with the Head of MS's Business Division.

Coming to MS I am sure they know what they are doing. Windows Pocket PC/Mobile

I am sure MS knows the best how to deal with all these. MS stragtegy is towards convergence of PC, laptop, Tablets, XBox, TV, WMC Set Top boxes, Phones, In Car Systems, Microsoft Surface, etc. What I mean by this is you only write an app once and it will run on all these platforms. They have been working on this convergence for some while now and this is why .Net & silverlight runtime is on PC, on the browser, on Xbox, on Windows Phone 7, on Microsoft Surface etc etc. Even the development languages and tools are way advanced. Java came way back in 1996 and .Net only came in 2003 and look where .Net languages are at the moment. C# 5.0 and F# are miles ahead of Java. Also the .Net run time not only enables convergence of platforms but also convergence of development languages. So a lot of developers can develop in their own known development language and still run their apps on any of the above platforms I mentioned.

I can understand some of your comments on the home screen on a WP7 phone. Not everybody will like it. But you can see the beauty of the Metro UI once you go past the home screen. I like the simplicity of the home screen. Every andriod phone I look at, I can see 90% of similarities with a windows mobile 6.5 phone. The icons, the UI, widgets, usb file access, copy and paste, office mobile, Wifi, Enterprise mail/exchange connectivity, google maps, google search etc etc are all there in my 2007/08 HTC Touch Pro and Samsung Omnia, Windows Mobile 6.0 & 6.5 phone. I would say MS need to brush up their advertising and marketting skills a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

A very small percentage of only one model (Samsung Focus/Omnia 7) waere bricked. This is a minor update. Actually an update that sets everything ready for an upcoming major update. Ooops ... sorry the android folks gets no updates at all so never came across this senario .... ;-)

A very small percentage of only one model (Samsung Focus/Omnia 7) waere bricked. This is a minor update. Actually an update that sets everything ready for an upcoming major update. Ooops ... sorry the android folks gets no updates at all so never came across this senario .... ;-)

Android phones do get OTA updates as well... it is the operators that delay it not the manufacturers and coders. Vodafone/Orange proved that with the Froyo update. :(

After reading several of these threads I have to say that the chances of me buying anything MS related are zilch. Not because I think they are worse than Android fones but just due to the attitude of EdinlexusV8 who comes across as the most blinkered, single minded, company robot type sales person you could ever come up against.

After reading several of these threads I have to say that the chances of me buying anything MS related are zilch. Not because I think they are worse than Android fones but just due to the attitude of EdinlexusV8 who comes across as the most blinkered, single minded, company robot type sales person you could ever come up against.

:) - and they have crap products which helps your decision too

... due to the attitude of EdinlexusV8 who comes across as the most blinkered, single minded, company robot type sales person you could ever come up against....

I think you have got blinkers or deaf ears than me ... What product am I selling here? I am not selling any thing ... I am more defending a new phone, a new platform and an altogether new ecosystem which has been looked at with a lot of pessimism. This happened with the release of iPhone and more so with the version 1 of Android. Another thing is I am hardly a sales person but rather a technical person. If you have properly gone through my messages you would have noticed that I highlighted the various benefits of this ecosystem & platform. I mentioned the various good features of apples approach and Androids approach and how MS meged the best of both world into one. Blinkers my arse ... read through my msgs before making any personal comments. This is a thread I started to have a discussion on this new platform and what people think about its good and bad.

:) - and they have crap products which helps your decision too

Ok now I understand, Let me make a couple of guesses .... Firstly, you must be living on another planet ...how is it like in there? Best ever products up for sale right from day one I suppose ... Secondly, you must be smarter than Nokia, the biggest phone manufacturer in the world!

Ok I will give you a chance ... you name the best product you have from day one on any platform ... let me see how many are out there ... I suppose when you say best products you do mean best in design and also in functionality right?

"Susceptibility to the problem, as well as the extent of the damage caused, both appear to have some dependence on the firmware version used on the handset. Samsung has released several different firmware versions for the Omnia 7, and while the newest versions seem to generally work fine, certain older ones do not. These firmware issues might also be compounded by bugs in the Samsung bootloader; phones with version 4.10.1.9 of the bootloader apparently cannot switch into download mode, which is used to recover from bad flashes. Both newer and older bootloaders are fine."