Windows Phones 7 Series

edinlexusV8

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reasons not to switch ;)

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/10/11/hands_on_windows_7/

The downside here is that if you're not an avid Facebooker and you don't own an Xbox, you probably don't care about any of this. And you'll notice some big, empty gaps in WinPho 7's "hubs", the zones in which the OS groups related data and services.

That said, looking forward to getting my hands on a device soon, and since I'm not an xbox or a facebook person, be interested to see how much is lost.

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/10/12/windows_mobile_7_what_and_where/

Specs aren't great yet though :(

Semi-positive review

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/12/windows_phone_prospects/

On the rumours ....

Apparently word is hitting the net waves that a Microsoft Windows Phone 7 update which is apparently due release sometime in January 2011 might deliver copy and paste to the operating system, but apparently that’s not all the update could offer.

According to an article over on Ubergizmo, that Windows Phone 7 update just might also bring a few other improvements to the new OS such as Microsoft’s Skydrive cloud storage and even turn-by-turn GPS navigation with voice directions support.

Furthermore apparently there are also whispers that the Windows Phone 7 update may also include app switching meaning that applications should be able to be preserved when a user switches between applications.

Other word has it that WP7 business users should have the option to seed pro applications straight to their Windows Phone 7 smartphones without the necessity of going via the Windows Marketplace, although of course not of this has yet been confirmed by Microsoft.

Apparently word is hitting the net waves that a Microsoft Windows Phone 7 update which is apparently due release sometime in January 2011 might deliver copy and paste to the operating system, but apparently that’s not all the update could offer

Copy and Paste? My HD2 does that now.

According to an article over on Ubergizmo, that Windows Phone 7 update just might also bring a few other improvements to the new OS such as Microsoft’s Skydrive cloud storage and even turn-by-turn GPS navigation with voice directions support.

Satnav? My HD2 does that now.

Furthermore apparently there are also whispers that the Windows Phone 7 update may also include app switching meaning that applications should be able to be preserved when a user switches between applications.

I'm sure my HD2 does this too.

Other word has it that WP7 business users should have the option to seed pro applications straight to their Windows Phone 7 smartphones without the necessity of going via the Windows Marketplace, although of course not of this has yet been confirmed by Microsoft.

Install apps that aren't from Windows Marketplace? My HD2 does that now.

Sooo... for a non-Xbox user, what exactly does Windows Phone 7 do that I can't do already??? :search:

yeah all these features are already present in Windows Mobile 6.5. I suppose your HD2 is running WM6.5

Sooo... for a non-Xbox user, what exactly does Windows Phone 7 do that I can't do already???

But there are a lot of things that IOS and Andriod does better than WM6.5, so this rewite of OS from windows is to compete in the consumer market with IOS and Andriod in terms of features and the way they do it.

Also windows phones 7 is very much integrated with their cloud offering, you would be getting 25GB of skydrive to store all your stuff on the cloud.

Most of all the user interface is much better than WM6.5. Previously maunfacturers like HTC, Samsung etc used to build their own UI on the top of the OS n each WM6.5 phones used to have different spec n features and different look n feel but from now on all of these will be managed by MS (similar to an iPhone)

Yeah, I'd actually like MS to put a stop to phone OEMs writing their own front ends and come out with something standardised. I actually like using my phone as a mini computer. One of the first things I did was turn off the HTC front end. The fact that you cannot disable their incredibly flaky MMS/SMS app and use standard Mobile Outlook instead amazes me. I don't get how they can claim the phone runs WM6.5 when they actually take WM6.5, chop some bits out and add other stuff on top to disguise it.

Actually, I think its a bit ironic that now smartphones are the "things to have", OEMs are creating ever more powerful phones but then having to create more and more dumbed down UI's so that your average joe user can just use them to text, play music and games and post on Facebook.

Also windows phones 7 is very much integrated with their cloud offering, you would be getting 25GB of skydrive to store all your stuff on the cloud.

This is a good point to raise, I know HTC are going to have a similar offering soon, and it is a useful feature but it will be complicated by the operators.

This isn't a win7mo issue, but rather a failing on the operator side. In a nutshell there is going to be too much data traffic on the networks and they are worried, hence the capping of data transfers and things like that.

The other aspect which will affect phones like this, specifically with the iphone is that the operators don't get any benefit from services offered outside of their network. Apple is prime example, app store doesn't bring in income for the operator other than the device costs, so they aren't always as a big a fan of them as they would say a service where they get a revenue share, which means they don't jump to get these devices as quickly.

Most of all the user interface is much better than WM6.5. Previously maunfacturers like HTC, Samsung etc used to build their own UI on the top of the OS n each WM6.5 phones used to have different spec n features and different look n feel but from now on all of these will be managed by MS (similar to an iPhone)

Again, for the operators, that isn't a draw card, as much as I hate walled garden solutions, the operators are at the end of the day a service provider and business, and 2g/3g is simply a comms method these days and there isn't much in it, so it comes down to service differentiators for them, and while we may bitch and moan about the custom interfaces, majority of users do use them. (I suspect we are somewhat of a unique audience however who like to do things differently ;))

hmmm ... so I am doing a biased crap-speak .... may be so does the BBC then ... they dont generally do any positive reviews of MS so why do they do this? ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9091992.stm

Ages ago ... During the days of IBM, it was called bad n called all sorts of shit until MS came along n became a big player then some people took pleasure in talking shit about MS then Apple came along after a while with their first IOS then everybody said it dont even have some basic features what at that time the smartphones were having, then Google came along with andriod and people wrote off andriod 1.0 as being very buggy n lots of them on the forums complained that there is no need for another smartphones OS. So the story goes on MS with some of you guys bashing MS ... Finally MS wrote a product from ground up and their first version seems better than IOS first version or Andriod's first version ... the initial reviews on various tech websites are quite positive about this phones and some big manufaturers are betting on this platform n if I say the same thing it becomes biased crap-speak :(

Though I dont have a device with this OS in my hand I only pointed to the reviews on the net by people who played with one of the devices. I am waiting for the first phone to come out through the door. Then I will definitely do a hand on personal review of the device but until then I could only talk about new features, games and apps coming to the platform mentioned on other tech forums.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the Nokia N8 yet.

Just got one and the hardware is very, very good.

Not too keen on the Facebook app.

The Ovi store is improving a lot too.

By all means start a thread re the symbian side..

There are threads for android, iphone, winmo which allow for a good debate. No matter how much stick I give el8, it is meant harmlessly as being a gadget-guy myself (and in the telecomms sector) it is actually rather nice to debate the various devices. I'm lucky to have direct access to pretty much all the new devices.