The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AP Racing 6 Pots have arrived (pics)

jevansio

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having driven with both I can honestly say that the AP kit that I have (6 pot fronts, 4 pot rears) are IMHO vastly better than the UK kit.

Don't get me wrong, the UK's are very very good, but when driving really very hard (admittedly probably harder than should be driven on the public road), I've found that the AP kit gave me more confidence not only in the initial bite and overall retardation, but also in the intangible pedal feel.

As a word of warning, I drove with the AP fronts and j-spec rears for a while, and found that the j-spec rear discs were really taking a beating having cracked two sets of disc in fairly short order. So definitely would not recommend just a front upgrade with J-spec rears.

As for Brembo being better than AP, I'd be interested to see a link to the information, as I'm fairly sure they're pretty much identical. The only thing I've seen was a list that had been posted but there wasn't any link to where that data had come from.

The initial bite of the UK's is the only thing I have found slightly disappointing. I wasn't sure if it was down to performance pads though? The bite from my Focus brakes almost throws you through the window lol.

I always did wonder about the AP Vs Brembo. More opinions on the forum than genuine data. A lot of people seemed to think the pads/discs with the AP's weren't as good as Brembo? I genuinely can't remember the specifics I just remember reading it during one of the conversations/debates on here.

Would 4pot UK's fit on the rear of the Supra? I know they won't go straight on but could an adapter be made or is the shape of the caliper bracket too much to get around (Just thinking out loud as the mounting location is already there, bracketing it might be difficult).

Totally off topic mate, and no offense meant. Are you totally happy with the wheels being bronze? :)

I know what you mean lol, when I picked them I went bronze due to Jamie having black RSs and I didn't want my car to look exactly like his, they're a lot darker in real life (esp when covered in brake dust :D), the HDR effect really brings the lighter colour out in them. I figured I'd try them as I'd always wanted bronze wheels, and if after a year I wasn't happy I'd get them powdercoated in gunmetal, so far I'm happy to keep them bronze, but when I get bored (which I always do) I think a dark grey paint will be on the cards :)

So what was the trouble with the brackets in the end?

Idiot installer :D

I pretty much followed the exploded diagram for the bracket installation, as it turned out it was totally wrong (upsidedown & rotated), then when I checked the part nos didn;t match I just assumed they were wrong (before I had tried all rotations of both brackets). That coupled with me being in a rush didn't help. With a level head & time the next night they went straight on :D

AP only do one bracket for the Supra, the 994/995 bracket with a helicoil fitted is 996/997

No George, once I figured it, 2 bolts to bolt on bracket, 2 bolts to bolt on caliper, 1 banjo to swap for brake line, pads in then that was it. Shims are needed (and supplied) to centralise caliper, but once I I figured how many I needed on first side, other side took no time. One of the easiest jobs I have done, 2 people is preferable to bleed though (ie my lass :D)

No George, once I figured it, 2 bolts to bolt on bracket, 2 bolts to bolt on caliper, 1 banjo to swap for brake line, pads in then that was it. Shims are needed (and supplied) to centralise caliper, but once I I figured how many I needed on first side, other side took no time. One of the easiest jobs I have done, 2 people is preferable to bleed though (ie my lass :D)

cool mate, might go for a set of these next year at some point, they look the nuts.

You finding a difference with the stopping power using these compared to the UK fronts?

cool mate, might go for a set of these next year at some point, they look the nuts.

You finding a difference with the stopping power using these compared to the UK fronts?

i'm sure one of CW's post mentioned that there shouldn't be any difference in stopping power compared to the UK or even the J-Spec ones.