The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone staying up to watch the election results 2010

TopgunTT

Looking at what the parties want to do, i.e. more control & taxes, less control & taxes, i.d cards, immigration, holding terrorist suspects etc, then it looks to me as though Lib Dems have more in common with the Conservatives than Labour, or am I way off ?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define your "genuine democracy"

Every News channel and station broadcasts the days messages, things like "Should we join the EURO?", and "Should immigrants all be deported if they're not white?", you know; the usual! Then everyone has 7 days to vote on the internet or by phone or post (you'd have to ID yourself somehow so you don't double post? ID cards here we go). Biggest number carries.

Not hard really?

//edit: The gov would then be solely responsible for sifting through the waffle on the petition gov website to find the issues to vote on. :D

Every News channel and station broadcasts the days messages, things like "Should we join the EURO?", and "Should immigrants all be deported if they're not white?", you know; the usual! Then everyone has 7 days to vote on the internet or by phone or post (you'd have to ID yourself somehow so you don't double post? ID cards here we go). Biggest number carries.

Not hard really?

//edit: The gov would then be solely responsible for sifting through the waffle on the petition gov website to find the issues to vote on. :D

here here

Biggest number carries.

Not hard really?

It is really. Consider a question like 'should people who live in the country pay 10x more road tax to pay for the upkeep on the less used, quieter country lanes?'. It'd probably get a big YES vote since most people don't live in the country - but for those who do, it'd have a huge impact on their lives.

I say it every time an election comes around, democracy isn't majority rules - it's about everyone having an equal voice. Hence one seat in the country is worth the same as one seat in the city, even though the city has 100x the inhabitents. Without this, the masses would control everything and the minorities in every walk of life would get shafted.

It is really. Consider a question like 'should people who live in the country pay 10x more road tax to pay for the upkeep on the less used, quieter country lanes?'. It'd probably get a big YES vote since most people don't live in the country - but for those who do, it'd have a huge impact on their lives.

I say it every time an election comes around, democracy isn't majority rules - it's about everyone having an equal voice. Hence one seat in the country is worth the same as one seat in the city, even though the city has 100x the inhabitents.

So you could keep the seat/voters ratio the same and locate each ID card voter to work it in the same way as the election, just for every single issue.

define 'genuine democracy' ?

:rolleyes:

My god, give the people total power?

Heres one, should we pay duty on fuel? Should taxes go up?

I can guess how those vote would go. You cant let the public decide everything!:rolleyes:

It'd be chaos for a few decades, then people would start requesting tax increases so they can have their bins collected! It'd all work out in the end. :D

So you could keep the seat/voters ratio the same and locate each ID card voter to work it in the same way as the election, just for every single issue.

Ah so you're saying hold referendums for each major issue based on the MP's boundaries.... sorry, misunderstood your point. :)

I think its hilarious that when you look at the voting map you can see all the areas that have high immigration and unemployment are Labour.

Exactly and why would they want a change, Labour has done exceedingly well for them.

Who is our PM, do we know?

it's about everyone having an equal voice. Hence one seat in the country is worth the same as one seat in the city, even though the city has 100x the inhabitents. Without this, the masses would control everything and the minorities in every walk of life would get shafted.

Its far from the case with the current system though.......

Guess acting in the national interest as always.......:rolleyes:

Based on the results and the lowest Labour votes since 1931 (IIRC) and the recent public poll whereby 61% of people want him to resign, you'd think the Rt Honourable Gordon Brown, would in fact just resign, honourably.

He was unelected, he's unwanted, his position is untennable...