The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend me some Android apps, please.

RedM

one for the business people.

Fed up of business cards in your wallet?

Install camcard! It basically scans the card and converts the details to save in your contacts. simple and easy!

Im also having a play with different modems on the sgs to see if I can get better battery life etc.

Currently running serendipity 6.3 rom with a speedmod kernal. I was on JPY baseband and got a full day with normal to heavy use. Just flashed ZSJPG via CWM. will see what results I get.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have just had my first crisis! :D

I have been playing around with basebands to see what is good for battery life etc and haven't had a problem until now. I flashed a very current modem file and lost all of my networks. no problem, redo the APN and re asssign the carrier and away we go. Just happened to look at my phone yesterday and noticed emergency numbers only. Bugger thinks I! At this point I had no idea what the issue was so thought it may be Telstra (work network) as we are having major storms etc atm.

Roll on this morning still no signal. I swapped my sims around just to check and the telstra one worked in my vodaphone and vice versa. Tried to select telstra on my SGS and it wouldnt detect it. All other carriers were detected,Voda and Optus, just not the one I want! I decided to flash back to stock and it still didnt fix it. I put Serendipity back on a clean install with the original baseband and still it wouldnt detect telstra. Hair pulling time as its a work phone!

decided to hunt down a current telstra modem and flash that... it worked! thank god! :D

I have no idea why the other basebands wouldnt work when flashed as I have been using them previously? Its more of a warning really to those that may mod their phones... always keep a current version of your stock rom!

• 2 weeks later...

have another very cool live wallpaper for you gents.

This one is called: video live wallpaper.

No code has to be inserted here.

simply put, you can use any video stored on your phone as the wallpaper and it runs on a loop.... very cool!!!

Will be putting a film on to test that aswell..... will report back!

Edit: Just put an avi/MP4 of fast and the furious on the sd card.. fire up the live wallpaer, selected the film and hey presto.. a film as my live wallpaper!

I'm liking this ALOT!

quick video of it in action playing F&F tokyo drift..

• 1 month later...

another quick update...

got a few apps I have been trying..

convertpad - convertion tool for everything!

Business calendar full - calendar widget that works with google calendars. The stock calendar is rubbish and doesnt sync with gmail.. go figure, this app does what the stock calendar should do!

• 2 weeks later...
had a little thought today and for those of us that have no idea what these phones can do should really start with superoneclick. This will root 95% of android phones and is your first step to having full control over your device.

Firstly, thanks very much for all your input into this thread. :thumbs:

I'm loving the live video wallpaper. :D

Could you give me a couple of reasons why I should root? As I'm struggling to see any huge advantages it brings.

I already acquire all my music through the music wizard app, can watch live tv on catchup tv website.

I love my torque app, just a shame I can't use it on a supra.

I've got my Last FM account all linked up to my widget.

I can already install non market apps, just changed the setting on the phone.

ps. I have absolutely no interest what-so-ever in any form of social network, so forget any apps relating to that. :)

Any input appreciated.

S

Firstly, thanks very much for all your input into this thread. :thumbs:

I'm loving the live video wallpaper. :D

Could you give me a couple of reasons why I should root? As I'm struggling to see any huge advantages it brings.

I already acquire all my music through the music wizard app, can watch live tv on catchup tv website.

I love my torque app, just a shame I can't use it on a supra.

I've got my Last FM account all linked up to my widget.

I can already install non market apps, just changed the setting on the phone.

ps. I have absolutely no interest what-so-ever in any form of social network, so forget any apps relating to that. :)

Any input appreciated.

S

Rooting gives you access to the main files of the phone. Think of it like the system folder on windows. There are certain apps that require root access in order to work, for example Adfree and titanium backup. The main reason for rooting though is for custom roms. There is alot you can do from this point on. you can install a faster kernal, a streamlined rom, or a completely different version of android if you so wish. The processes these days are getting even easier to do this. For example, My HTC magic started on 1.6 and is now running gingerbread (2.3). My SGS was rooted within 5min of coming out the box and over-clocked using an app called Setcpu. I then had a major problem with an official update that semi bricked my phone. Due to being rooted I was able to download an official Rom and get my phone working again using a prog called ODIN.

From there I installed a over-clocked Kernal@500mhz and a Serendipity rom and haven't looked back! I am able to change the basebands which allow for different battery times, signal strength, better gps and so on. Its all about trying what's out there. I have found a combination that works well on my phone in my country.

This is the joy of android. I am not tied to one piece of software or manufacturer. If something breaks, I just replace it. example. My SGS has a front camera that doesnt work. This is due to the camera apk in serendipity. My girlfriend also has an SGS and her camera apk DOES allow the use of the front camera. I Rooted her phone, extracted the apk and installed it in mine. I now have the same functions that she did.

I have no bloatware that you usually get from providers and I can even change the splashscreen when it boots if I want.

I could go on and on but have a good look around XDA forums. That place is a wealth of information and there is some seriously cool stuff being developed!

Thanks creative.

I think I'll just leave it as-is just now, I'm running Froyo 2.2 on my desire, and I'm hoping that they will eventually do an OTA update to 2.3.

As so far, they have only released a "developer" version which involves flashing the phone. :(

• 4 weeks later...

A little update on the Torque app.

Got my cheapo bluetooth OBDii adapter today, plugged it in and launched the app.

All I can say is wow! What a cracking app! I updated it to Torque Pro v1.5.11 and the number of options is outstanding! You can keep an eye on pretty much everything, so long as your ecu puts it out, including reading and clearing fault codes.

a few pics for you:

Dashboard

auto rotate

a small selection of a very long list of parameters it can measure

there are also plug ins that are support and these include track recorder, shift lights and quick OBD read.

I personally think that everyone with an android phone and a modded car needs this app!

Any advice on the best free music app?

I cant get soe of the one's mentioned in this thread to work:(

Yeah the music wizard one I have has been removed from the market.

Just search for music downloader or mp3 downloader in the market and several that all do the same job will come up. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

next one gents.

The boss recently got an SGSii after ditching his Ifail. he noticed the stock voice recognition was a bit pants when compared to the ifails version so the hunt was on for a decent one.

I found it in the app called:

Cyberon Voice Commander.

hl4HgdZwGD4

tested it out and it works perfectly. very good for hands free and when you are driving.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone using fbreader? I've got an iPhone at the mo, but I'll probably be switching to Android soon. However, my favourite app on the iPhone is Stanza, which is a free ebook reader. I use it all the time... Never without my whole book library!! But it hasn't been developed on the Andriod platform, and I hear fbreader might be a good alternative?

Anyone using fbreader? I've got an iPhone at the mo, but I'll probably be switching to Android soon. However, my favourite app on the iPhone is Stanza, which is a free ebook reader. I use it all the time... Never without my whole book library!! But it hasn't been developed on the Andriod platform, and I hear fbreader might be a good alternative?

What format are your books in? The missus uses aldiko. We use calibre to convert any book files into ePub and copy/paste onto the phone.

Try kindle but I just couldn't get it to recognize any of our own books.

I use Calibre too. What an awesome application that is. Espiecally for free! I convert everything to ePub. Stanza allows you to download from your Calibre library wirelessly, which is a nice feature. I've heard of Aldiko, but the reviews I've seen of it say it isn't very good and far inferior to Stanza. But I have no first hand experience. I might get a friend to download it so I can do a comparison. Thanks for the info.

fbreader is really good on my Galaxy TAB 10.1.

What format are your books in? The missus uses aldiko. We use calibre to convert any book files into ePub and copy/paste onto the phone.

Try kindle but I just couldn't get it to recognize any of our own books.

Calibre is excellent for converting and keeping your library, Aldiko worked really well on my Desire.

Paul