The mkiv Supra Owners Club

thinking of opening a tuning shop/garage

hodge

go for it if it doesnt succeed at least you had a good go at it and there will be no what ifs.I would love to have a garage purely set up for welding and mot repairs but units are too expensive around here so will just have to settle with the mobile aspect,plus im trying to make the fibreglass roofing work.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One way of getting a foot in the door is networking with the local garages - get your name and the quality of your work more widely known, then do bit work as a contractor for a wider audience through some of these garages, and build on that.

People who might be worth getting to know are other custom fabricators, hot-rodders, antique restorers, custom interior guys - as they might occasionally need a specific bit of work done, or know of people they can refer to you.

as much as this sounds a good idea bear in mind the current conditions ive seen grasshopper pro sport and hi teq all go bump recently.

the tuning game is very fickle and you will only get 4 to 5 big spenders the rest will be all odds and ends and its not just the rental of the unit you have all sorts of vat and other tax implications

im not trying to put a dampner on your idea as i genuinly think there is a market there for a company of this nature and as long as you are going to widen the scope for all cars not just supras as the supra is now an old car like the 300 and isnt going to command top dollar like it used to then you should if you weather the next coming year be in a good place for next as a lot of the other companies are no longer in the game any more

This sounds like a great idea, if I had the ability its something I'd love to do. I'd say the further north you go the wider your market will be as there aren't many places with decent reputations north of your area. Good luck if you do decide to make a go of it.

I've got a pretty good rep up here anyway. I work on a few members and past members cars already. I can fit anything you want really n love the idea of wanting something in a certain place in the car and modding it to fit. This is what I find most interesting and rewarding..

How about the engine in the back :D

Best of luck John.

Do it mate, i'm not going to open my own unit but at the moment have a few things in the pipe line with a jap performance place near mine, i'm hoping mine and there plans come together as there's been alot of talk recently about a few things, i'm hoping if it goes well as planned to be doing that this time next year full time instead of working for toyota and lexus!

My advice , follow your dream, if your hearts in it and you have the drive for it then you'll get the rewards! :)

Guest samurai infidel

When i finally get the pennies saved up, i know i'll be taking my car to john to have the work done.

He's worked on my 350Z before and i cant fault the quality of the work.I asked him to build an install for me, showed him a picture and he did exactly what i asked for,even though it was a chew on to do.

So good luck with the venture John, and dont forget, mates rates brings back customers...lol

IMG_2339-Edit.jpg

DSCF0677.jpg

When i finally get the pennies saved up, i know i'll be taking my car to john to have the work done.

He's worked on my 350Z before and i cant fault the quality of the work.I asked him to build an install for me, showed him a picture and he did exactly what i asked for,even though it was a chew on to do.

So good luck with the venture John, and dont forget, mates rates brings back customers...lol

Anytime mark. Cheers for the compliments, aye it was a total nightmare to build the box but I did love the finished result. Like I said i'd have bought the install back off you before you sold the car.

I've got a pretty good rep up here anyway. I work on a few members and past members cars already. I can fit anything you want really n love the idea of wanting something in a certain place in the car and modding it to fit. This is what I find most interesting and rewarding..

I understand what you mean re the nodding things to fit where they shouldn't etc, it's really satisfying when it's finished.. However, doing things like this will not make umoney.. And u end up working hours for free.. From a business sence that is pointless..

You ll also have to spend alot on insurance etc, IDE just stay as u are..