The mkiv Supra Owners Club

thinking of opening a tuning shop/garage

hodge

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget, if you are looking to be a trader on the forum you need to get your name on the quite long waiting list.

I'm a long way off applying for trader status I think. I'm Going make an apointment with business link asap to have a chat about it, and hopefully move on from there.

I want to fully understand all I need to before I make the jump.

Ultimately I'd love to trade on here but like I said I'm a long way off yet.

Free advert time. I owe it to you really seens as you built my whole car.

The 2 things that I think will bring customers to you are the fact that you do what the customer asked and not some quicker, cheaper effort of a job, and the quality of your work. Not once have I ever had to say "do that again mate" or, "That’s a bit shit" and that’s saying a lot given that I'm possibly the most fussy owner on here.

I gave up on garages over 3 years ago and the car has only ever been to Hodge's garage. Granted the jobs were done at mates rates so they were obviously cheaper, but they were of a far better quality than that of any other garage in the north east and the other garages and traders that I travelled to. I should also add that every job a garage made a mess of you were able to put right in a fraction of the time it took them and at a fraction of the cost.

If I list all the jobs you've done then it will take an hour to read but I'll add some pics to my garage later today of some of your work and the more tricky jobs I asked you to do. Jobs such as fitting a 60mm gauge to a 52 mm pod, making a pod for 6x9’s to fit into the rear speaker compartment and modding my TRD bonnet to fit over my engine bling and fan shroud. All because they said it couldn't be done.

The MOST important thing is customer service. Never lose sight of that and you'll go far. The second you forget it, you'll know why so many companies fail in this sector.

Good luck :)

I agree completely the number of garages I've never gone back to and wouldn't recommend. I'd treat each car as your own, if you wouldn't be happy with it you shouldn't expect the customer to be either.

If more garages treated customers this way the whole industry would have a much better reputation.

Free advert time. I owe it to you really seens as you built my whole car.

The 2 things that I think will bring customers to you are the fact that you do what the customer asked and not some quicker, cheaper effort of a job, and the quality of your work. Not once have I ever had to say "do that again mate" or, "That’s a bit shit" and that’s saying a lot given that I'm possibly the most fussy owner on here.

I gave up on garages over 3 years ago and the car has only ever been to Hodge's garage. Granted the jobs were done at mates rates so they were obviously cheaper, but they were of a far better quality than that of any other garage in the north east and the other garages and traders that I travelled to. I should also add that every job a garage made a mess of you were able to put right in a fraction of the time it took them and at a fraction of the cost.

If I list all the jobs you've done then it will take an hour to read but I'll add some pics to my garage later today of some of your work and the more tricky jobs I asked you to do. Jobs such as fitting a 60mm gauge to a 52 mm pod, making a pod for 6x9’s to fit into the rear speaker compartment and modding my TRD bonnet to fit over my engine bling and fan shroud. All because they said it couldn't be done.

Well that means alot form the O.C.D king lol. I must admit your car is always a total challange, seems ive put in 3 radiators, 4 power steering pumps, a water pump, boot install in and out 4 times now, and after fixing all the crap the other garages have done lol. Ive no dout the single conversion will be on the cards in the near future.

I agree completely the number of garages I've never gone back to and wouldn't recommend. I'd treat each car as your own, if you wouldn't be happy with it you shouldn't expect the customer to be either.

If more garages treated customers this way the whole industry would have a much better reputation.

Mate I couldnt agree more.

For what it is worth I would specialize in 1 or 2 makes, and if you want to earn money they really need to be a make that you CAN charge for the time you spend, any car can have problems and you don't want to be paying for stuff that isn't your fault.

For what it is worth I would specialize in 1 or 2 makes, and if you want to earn money they really need to be a make that you CAN charge for the time you spend, any car can have problems and you don't want to be paying for stuff that isn't your fault.

Cheers dude I think your right. Specializing is the way forwards. This way your time is used constructivly as you know with your eyes shut how everything comes apart and goes back together without thinking if you know what I mean.

• 6 months later...

I think if you keep your price decent-low you can't go wrong

-the way I see it is:

a- you can either make a couple hundred £ profit off each customer and probably only have a few customers per week leaving you approx £600 profit a week...

Or

b- you could take it the other way and make minimum profit off each customer & every customer would recommend and stay loyal sticking to you for anything small or big. (I'd be there everyday! Lol)

It depends how you want to run things, but that's just from my business experience. Although I'm not experienced in the field your interested in I'm pretty good at thinking in a business mind.

And as for a business loan, you'd need to show at least 40% of capital start up to the bank for them to provide you the remaining 60% (well that's how it was 2years ago)

been thinking about doing something similar (although not a tuning company)

im fed up of working in IT and not getting great money. even people i know with great qualifications still dont get good money.

having lost my job and doing contracting at the moment has spurred me on even more.

Id much rather do something where i can put my passion into it. perform a service and make people happy.

Ive spent a lot of time thinking about it and id love to do something similar to jurgen. the only problem with that is jurgen himself :p

Id like to import jap cars or just sell them. Do a bit of work to them to make them nicer, have seats retrimed, alloys refurbed etc then sell them to a happy buyer. that would make me happy :)

then if thats sucessfull id love to just import a car. do a project on it and then sell it on.

Plenty of ideas in my head but no idea if they would work. Id like to see if my photoshop of a supra with a r33 front end would be possible.

or an old school skyline with a sr20 engine in it or something interesting like that :p

also would like to run something like ace cafe in northampton. it seems a perfect location. ive even seen a place that would be great for it. but its not for sale :p

Or even an independant dyno like SRR. Again, in northampton so its nice and central.

my only problems are i dont know how to import cars. I have no idea how to run my own business (although my dad has run 2 so he would be a lot of help :) ). And thirdly i have no idea where to start!

Sorry to crash your thread mate. maybe we can go into business together :p

hey up hodge,

Ive worked for myself for years now and im 32 years old, i think its one of the best things u can do in life being your own boss!

Hodge you have a great passion and some serious skills when it comes to moding cars, if u start this off as a side project whilst u keep working your normal job you really dont have anything to lose mate, and i wish u the best of luck man.

I ran a bodyshop for over 10 years and loved it, did a few front page magazine cars, and had some great coverage in the uk for what i was doing, unfortunatly it wasn't on cars to everyones tastes i.e minis and vws but the rewards were just as good.

I think the area of work u want to attack is a very small part of the market, but u will be amazed at how far good news of quality workmanship travels.

People are always willing to travel for the right reasons, and u defo tick all the boxes with your single builds;)

all the best mate

I am actually going to do this. I don't want to look back on my life in years to come and say what if.

I'm starting to do small work at the moment as I'm going to start working from home.

I think the main concern is to get my car finished so I have space to store a car for larger work. I've got plenty of room at the side of the house but ideally I need to have my garage accessible.

Things are starting to move but I've got a lot to learn about running a part time business and feel I need to be totally clued up before I move forwards officially.

i dont think funds would be an issue. have a house, no mortgage. and plenty of family who are not short ;)

im 27 (and starting to feel old) i dont want to be in the position some of the guys i have worked with in the past are. 40-45 or so and stuck earning 16k in a boring job that doesnt make me happy. The money is OK. but its just not what i want.

i do like the idea of an ace cafe type thing. Id love it to have an american theme. my wife is from the USA and they do some cracking food over there. but nowhere over here can get it right... :D

Maybe its something i could look into doing. Then we would have a place to meet all the time :p

I think it would take off. so much motorsport arround this area with silverstone, pod, bedford etc. all the f1 teams. rally teams, cosworth factory etc. its like a petrolhead magnet :) Then maybe after its taken off i can tack a dyno on the side of the building :p

sorry again for crashing your thread. I should start my own at some point :p

i dont think funds would be an issue. have a house, no mortgage. and plenty of family who are not short ;)

im 27 (and starting to feel old) i dont want to be in the position some of the guys i have worked with in the past are. 40-45 or so and stuck earning 16k in a boring job that doesnt make me happy. The money is OK. but its just not what i want.

i do like the idea of an ace cafe type thing. Id love it to have an american theme. my wife is from the USA and they do some cracking food over there. but nowhere over here can get it right... :D

Maybe its something i could look into doing. Then we would have a place to meet all the time :p

I think it would take off. so much motorsport arround this area with silverstone, pod, bedford etc. all the f1 teams. rally teams, cosworth factory etc. its like a petrolhead magnet :) Then maybe after its taken off i can tack a dyno on the side of the building :p

sorry again for crashing your thread. I should start my own at some point :p

No probs mate fill ya boots:D