The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flat out?

tony tt

190mph i woul be really impressed if my bpu could get up to that speed gps

The 6spd is noticably quicker at the top end than the auto's. I'd be really surpised if any bpu auto got too much past 180mph, the 6spd will do a bit more, but not a lot! Top I ever got in a TT auto (UK spec) was 178 on the gps, it didn't feel like it had any more in it.

homers post scared me means there is 50ish mph to come out of my engine and i allready had kittens

That's the theoretical top speed if the engine has the power to do it (and the NA doesn't), so you'd struggle to get 150 in either the auto or 5spd

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what the most I could get out of my (pre-facelift) NA-TT 5spd would be? It's an SZ so no LSD.

Seen 160 on the speedo (not GPS) on my test track.

158.3mph mate. The engine makes no difference in theoretical top speed. If it's BPU and you have enough road I reackon you'd get to the limiter in 5th given the gear and final drive on the NA drivetrain.

160 on the speedo will be somewhere between 140-150mph actual mph.

Suprised if 180 is all an upgraded Supra would achieve. I got 260 km/h (161 mph) out of my STOCK TT6, even with stock exhaust, and 4 spare wheels/tyres in the car adding weight... There was even another 1000 RPM to go before redline, but ran into a rainstorm and had to back off :D First pic in the link in my sig shows the dial in KMs. And this *was* in Germany :p

Still, I suppose you get to 180 a lot faster than a stock car would ;)

Edited by paulrenn (see edit history)

You will do 180GPS with not too much trouble. A full on healthy 430hp SRR BPU will manage around 190, it won't be impressive though.

I have a facelift with a V160.

Edit: Am I right in saying that the figures above won't be entirely accurate due to the 6800 limit? 7200 is the stock for a TT is it not? I have 8k on tap but I don't think I would be trying a top speed run with it, not without head work anyway.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

Edit: Am I right in saying that the figures above won't be entirely accurate due to the 6800 limit? 7200 is the stock for a TT is it not? I have 8k on tap but I don't think I would be trying a top speed run with it, not without head work anyway.

6800rpm for the non-VVTi NA and TT. The tach is VERY inaccurate if you are going by that alone. My old one used to read 7600rpm or so when the ECU showed it was only 6800rpm.

As Daryl says non-VVTi 2JZGTE rev limit is 6800rpm, VVTi 2JZGTE rev limit is 7200rpm.

6800rpm for the non-VVTi NA and TT. The tach is VERY inaccurate if you are going by that alone. My old one used to read 7600rpm or so when the ECU showed it was only 6800rpm.

Ahh, I didn't know that. I had often read 7200rpm quoted as the stock TT rev limit.

Makes me worry about the Mines ECU opting for 8k. I don't mind a bit of a jump in revs but 1.2k without any other mods is a bit beyond my comfort zone.

They will do more than that, but need a *serious* amount of road to do it, literally miles of WOT once past 170!

For info (and assuming stock size rear wheel diameter and stock rev limit), the absolute maximums (I.e. without power limitations) are:

NA auto: 175.8mph

NA 5spd: 158.3mph

NA 6spd: 164.2mph

TT auto (jspec & UK): 190.5mph

TT 6spd (UK): 203.7mph

TT 6spd (pre-facelift): 195.4mph

TT 6spd (facelift): 189.1mph

Maybe a stupid question, but why is the auto capable of highest maximum speed in an NA, but not in a TT?

Maybe a stupid question, but why is the auto capable of highest maximum speed in an NA, but not in a TT?

It's not capable of it, the figures are quoting theoretical top speed if the engine has the power to make it.

Essentially it's about drive ratio (rpm of the engine vs output speed of the driveshafts). The gearbox and diff are the key factors when working out whats possible, engine power ignored of course.

Lets say for example, someone has a TT engine, but 5spd gearbox and diff. The final drive ratio between the NA and TT drivetrain in this situation is the same so the maximum speed it can do doesn't change because the maximum rpm from the engine is the same as the NA (6800rpm)

Is there anyplace the club could arrange a 'runway day' or something? something longer than a drag strip, I wouldnt want to do these speeds on a normal road but curious as to what it could do, could be a fun day.

i have been asking this for ages but i think 2 miles or so is the longest straight quoted to me, maybe we could get a cruise to head to nardo its 8 mile high speed bowl in italy.190gps i dont think i would bother going single ha,

Everytime i hit 88mph I end up starting last tuesday all over again. I have gone from a total tone deaf guy to a concert pianist in a week, although I have lived the week 700 times.

Back to the Future meets Groundhog Day.

What do I win?