The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BDC 2010 Supra Build Thread......

Suprash

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was awesome! Got to drive the new GP track in the Carrera and my mates were on the track in a Gallardo Superleggera, Diablo, Ultima and a Lotus. FUN!! :D Would have been cool to support you though. Next time hey ;)

Sounds like a fun group to run with.

Today we got the intercooler and pipe work fitted, had a massive headache sorting a route that works, but think we have found a way that works well, and it looks pretty good too :D Just need a couple more silicone bends to get it onto the turbo outlet, which we have now spun around.

Also came across another problem today, the filter pipe wont go onto the turbo because the dizzy is in the way, so Im going to run no filter. I will get some steel mesh and something like a filter paper or carb sock or something similar, not sure yet though, not really sure whats availlable yet, but it'll sound awsome lol :D

Also got the pull cords fitted, made a nice little brack to mount them on and cut through the bonnet, better then last years setup where the fitted straight onto the bonnet so you always have to have enough slack to allow the bonnet to open, and fitted the fire extinguisher and lines.

Edited by Suprash (see edit history)

Interesting way of doing the pipework, nice innovation :thumbs: It's going to get some serious heat soak though, are you wrapping the FMIC pipes?

Also, (maybe it's just the pic) the silicon pipe to the intake looks incredibly close to the turbo, please say you are using a blanket!

Hope it all works out Ash!

Thanks Darryl, yeah, everythings a bit close, but to be fair, every route we worked out we hit a problem with, there might be a bit of heaksoak around that area, so we did say we'll heat wrap it, and yeah as again, with this "turbo kit", the turbo will have to be blanketed because it's literally sat next to the silicon pipe, I'm still confident it will all work fine though

• 2 weeks later...

So as my Supra didnt make its appearance at Round 1, which I still had one of the best rounds yet which surprised me because with no car, only getting two practice laps thanks to my honky Joe letting me use his car and only qualifying 18th it was a truley awsome day still.

But after getting Round 1 out of the way I then had 3 weeks till Round 2 to get the car ready, easy, or so I thought lol. But those 3 weeks have rocked on and here we are nearly on the eve of Round 2.

After finally getting everything mechanical on the car sorted, working through various issues, well continuous issues actually, the car was finally at a stage ready for mapping and yesterday I got that phone I was so hoping I didnt get. Turns out the HKS ECU I bought doesnt have a 2j harness, but a 1j harness, which left me in a hell of a position so close to Round 2. After calling TDI who usually have these harnesses in stock, but not this time, they said they could speak with HKS Europe who could have one shipped to my mappers by the morning, except this was now too late in the day (16:30 yesterday) so there courier pickup wouldnt get it delivered until Friday morning now, which is just too late, as I still need the car back for a evenings work finishing off last bits (tonight)

So late yesterday, after months of doing everything I can to get this car completed, after throwing countless amounts of money I dont have at the project to try and meet deadlines, after driving ridulous miles ferrying parts around, the decision was made to run stock NA powers. But after everything I have been through getting this car to this stage, the finacial suicide I have managed, the gf nearly leaving me because I have done nothing but live and breath this car build since Jan, the amount of time I have actually done nothing in work all day because I have been on the phone sorting through issues and sourcing parts, I really dont care I have been in Supra ownership and the community for 8 years now and this was always going to be my chosen car, after the disaster with the Nissan at Round 5 last year, just to be out in a Supra competing, [sOPPY MOMENT]I will have won my own Championship. [/sOPPY MOMENT]

Im looking forward to skidding her with a lot, well months of built up frustration, excitement, vengance, determination, so many emotions from this year so far.

She will obviously be starting out the year in most stock of forms for now, stock powers, stock lock, stock pretty much everything lol, so I guess I had better find some skillz if Im to make the car look good, but to be finally there in my Supra I will feel like I have finally come home

Im looking forward to the coming months though, developing her further, getting her mapped in between Round 2 and 3, and developing her throughout the year and continuously as this will be the car Im stuck with now, well the misses WILL leave if I go through this all over again lol.

But for now, Im gonna rock it up for the NA boys :D

285s (!) hold my single supe in order pretty well, I can't see an NA breaking traction (and keeping it sliding) that easily, although admitedly I don't (can't/daren't) drift so I dont know anything about it.

Get the spacesavers slapped on ;)

It will be with 70 odd psi in the rears, plus weather forcast for Sat is possible rain, if it rains then having 400 under your foot is over kill, so I might just get away with this lol...

Gotta be the first time I have been wishing rain lol, although in just over a year of competing it's never rained yet on round, so surely we are due some :D

Dont be rushing out to quickly mate, things in my world can change at the drop of a hat lol......and it seems they have :(

After AFR text me yesterday at midday saying it runs, I thought in my excitement that meant that the car was ready. Turns out that after they had started the car up they realised the oil feed for the turbo wasnt plumbed in. So this now needs sorting, which it was decided to plumb the feed into the oil pressure switch, but obviously the air con pump is in the way, which needs to be removed and then a smaller belt needs to be found, along with making up new bits to plumb the feen into etc

That along with the car still needing a geo setup done, it appears that the guys might not have anymore time to spare on the car :(

Im also short of a decat pipe, if anyone has one ?, but this isnt a major hassle, I can steal the entire exhaust and decat pipe of my Supra for the weekend.

But I would like to take this oppurtunity to thank the Supra forum for their continued support and to publicy apologise for how this season is turning out. Im feeling pretty embarassed right now that the car hasnt yet made an appearance for the other sponsors involved, and believe me if I had my way, and had somewhere other then my drive way to work on the car, I would willingly be out there all night to make this happen, but at this moment in time I cant do all I can, its a very hard position to be in.

Edited by Suprash (see edit history)