I Can't Believe It!!

Guest MoeBlunt

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MoeBlunt

Thanks guys, your help is very much appreciated!! :)

Is your car an import and do you have decats?

Yup, it is an import vvti tiptronic and I think it has had a decat on one of the cats if not both!

Guest MoeBlunt
I have a funny feeling it is the TC. Might sound stupid but did you have loud music on?

This would have caused the symptoms of the lose of power and then having power again as the rear could have been loosing traction, hence cutting power.

Traction control was completely off! :blink:

I had the stereo off and all! lool i was in race mode! :D

Guest MoeBlunt
What speed were you doing when this happened? and have you been faster before?

Any chance it was around an indicated 120mph?

nope, no where near that speed!! and yup i've hit speeds over the 120 mark on by a bit on a track and i still felt as if the car was accelerating?! so i'm guessing its derestricted?

Guest MoeBlunt
Im getting this at moment, I know its my plugs as they are due a change though.

You accelerate and as you accelerate, you hear popping randomly,starting off with more popping as number 2 comes on but as you drive through it, gets less and accelerate more. The car feels slightly jerky, if its more then slightly jerky fuel cut is like someone cutting all power.

When this happens you should see some black smoke out the back of the car (depending on how bad need fair amount of popping), not loads and i only saw mine when a car was following and i could see it up against the colour of the car.

I would change your plugs, cheapest and likely solution, be carefull with the coil pack clips they become brital with age, but if you do break one you can connect the individual clip points up without the plastic clip, just get some more ordered.

The other thing of course is did you have the TC on.

The sparks are around 4 months old...and have only had 2k miles on them!

I've had fuel cuts before but this was a completely different feeling! the car was in 3rd gear when it happend and was at around 4-5k rpm then it just started popping and shuddering then it lost power to around 2.5-3 rpm and then back up to 4-5 rpm and so on...?

as for the clips, i don't know what they are in the first place?! :blink:

lool

Guest MoeBlunt
something is breaking the ignition at higher revs - sounds like coil pack connectors, dodgy spark plugs.

Are they hard/expensive to replace, i mean can I do it myself without setting the car alight? lol

This could be y u got the car extremo cheap? i am rite in you paid £5k for it, or is that some1 else :blink:

i had a loss in boost a few months back at about 5k RPM but either it went away on its own or its because i changed the insert on my BOV making me tighten the boost pipe up that comes off the turbo alot tighter than it had it b4 lol

Now do I delete this thread because of the rubbish title? :think:

Quite right sir, however see below for my opinion today :)

I ran out of ideas for the title! lol

Nooo, don't delete it! eek! lol

Ok MB, just so you know if people put up meaningless titles, you know, a bit like I can't believe it they will be deleted.

However, I think you were trying to go somewhere with this and as you're a noob I think in the spirit of Mod kindness and generosity :sly: this thread should survive.

But please title all your future threads with a genuinely accurate description. Thanks :)

Which NGK plugs are fitted exactly? Gap size? Age?

The sparks are around 4 months old...and have only had 2k miles on them!

They could be wrong plug heat range or not gapped properly, both of which could cause misfire now with the cooler weather and subsequent higher boost levels. See HERE

as for the clips, i don't know what they are in the first place?! :blink:

See HERE

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Guest MoeBlunt

Thanks for the help guys!!

Ok, i'm going to buy 6 x NGK IRIDIUM IX SPARK PLUG BKR8EIX 2668, they would be the best for the car right?

As for leads, which ones should I get?

Do you not know what plugs you have fitted at the moment? Iridium plugs will last longer but they are a lot more expensive.

The TT does not have HT leads, each plug has it's own coil pack which connect to the main wiring loom, it is the connectors between the loom and coil packs that become brittle and can cause misfire. Pics HERE

to add to Nics post if it is the connectors, they remind me of simple clip connectors inside that have a simple peice of metal that is bent out slightly on the male side so when clipped together, the metal touchs the other clip, using a very small screwdriver you can bend the bit of metal back out slightly to make a better connection. Its not risky you cant snap this metal off unless you literally tried too!

If you do end up changing the plugs, then I would replace the coil pack connectors at the same time. To access the plugs you also need to remove the 2 cam cover breather hoses, these also become brittle and split easily, so I would also buy/fit new hoses as well. Here are the Toyota part numbers.

90980-11246 Coil Pack connectors

12263-46010 breather hose 1

12264-46010 breather hose 2