The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Reliability - be honest with me

thebluefox

I know, its terrible, lol. Drawbacks of having a 13 year old 1.8 engine I guess, and a heavy right foot.

Petrol consumption is pretty similar then, thanks :)

As a general rule, they're pretty reliable cars then?

If this is true dont expect to get 200 miles on £40 . I mostly see 250 miles on a full tank if i am mostly on a/b roads which is £70.

Although my O2 sensor is shagged and needs changing.:(

If you are worried about fuel consumption i doubt a TT Supra is the best choice as a daily driver;)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving around town, I'm averaging 10-15 mpg! On the motorways, I get 25 mpg if I had a following wind. Probably forgot to release the handbrake. You won't get any brilliant fuel consumption figures because you won't be able to resist hammering the go-faster pedal.

"Reliability - be honest with me"

As supposed to bullshitting you in order to get a a clio driver into the supra fold......:blink:

do your re-search dude, its been covered here and highlighted in the FAQ sections.

I struggle to understand what sort of reliability people expect from a 16yr old car - every car is different, some more reliable than others but everything has an age.

2nd'ly - if you are concerned about fuel costs then supras arent for you - why even bother.

finally - lets see whether you can afford to pay the membership for the club first......

Think is imi is having a bad day at work, his not always like this...actually :eyebrows:

Bluefox make sure you have a good look around before you buy one. Highly recommend a forum members car as they generally are more looked after. Though they might not always be the cheapest, saying that we have had some bargains on the forum!

"Reliability - be honest with me"

As supposed to bull$#@!ting you in order to get a a clio driver into the supra fold......:blink:

do your re-search dude, its been covered here and highlighted in the FAQ sections.

I struggle to understand what sort of reliability people expect from a 16yr old car - every car is different, some more reliable than others but everything has an age.

2nd'ly - if you are concerned about fuel costs then supras arent for you - why even bother.

finally - lets see whether you can afford to pay the membership for the club first......

:blink:

My n/a's been in the garage once in three years. If you're doing a lot of miles it might be an idea to get a daily run about to save on petrol and keep the miles off the supra.

If you're thinking of a TT I think reliability is generally inversely proportional to the amount of engine mods.

Reliability goes down in relation to mods done and money spent on those mods!!

Remember: Cheap, Fast, Reliable - choose 2.

As for mpg etc. I averaged 22 in my TT, but I drive like a granny. Managed nearly 35 on a long motorway run (6 speed). They are very expensive cars to run, remember that point and feel good when you don't have to spend out on it.

Ok, this has been helpful, I was planning on using the Supra as a daily, and putting a turbo engine in the clio, BUT there's no way that would make sense finacially so I may well look at getting something cheap to run to commute in and a Supra instead, like you suggested tbourner.

I like that quote too - "Remember: Cheap, Fast, Reliable - choose 2".

In answer to the "is a Supra reliable" question, then a resounding YES.

In response to the "is a Supra the best choice of Toyota as a daily" question, then I would say NO. If you're going to buy a powerful rear-wheel drive car like the Supra, it's not best served by driving Miss Daisy to work and back. Get a Corolla or Camry, and keep the Supra as a weekend pleasure craft.

Blimey dude whats up with you?? :blink:

Perhaps its the bloody flu and the fact that I a bored at home when I want to be at work.....or maybe I still find the thread title a bit distasteful, the questions fairly repetitive, entirely subjective and hence pointless.

Perhaps its the bloody flu and the fact that I a bored at home when I want to be at work.....or maybe I still find the thread title a bit distasteful, the questions fairly repetitive, entirely subjective and hence pointless.

You are fast becoming my 2nd favourite poster (behind Michael) :cool:

If you aren't worried about the fuel and don't mess about with the electrics, and to some extent the bodywork they are VERY reliable for an old car. My take is you budget say 4K for a TT auto and keep another 2500 on hand for unsforseen running costs. If something major does go wrong you'll find 2500 doesn't go very far. If you have to ask what they do to the gallon, or what they cost to insure I'd say they probably aren't a good buy. They are thirsty and proper cover with a decent broker is expensive. Fiddle with the electrics with all sorts of cheap gizmos and poorly installed alarms and things can go pear shaped. Add bodywork held on with self tappers and filler and expect rust to start in places a stock bodied car won't have issues. Anything much over a de cat done properly will cost twice what the car's worth.

If you buy one with nothing left in the pot you are mad, they can and do spring expensive surprises like any old car that cost a lot of money when new.

Another yes from me, I've had two TT's and both of them have been brilliant.

A lot will depend on whether you're averse to spending money on cars. I don't mind servicing my cars every 3 months and lavishing them with TLC. I imagine like a few other members on here, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like my cars to be immaculate in every sense. With this approach and attitude towards the supra, I've found it does nothing but reward you with hours of driving fun and pleasure.

Neglect them however, and I'd imagine like any mechanical object, they'll go wrong and bite you hard in the process.

Make sure that the slate you start with, be it a blank one, or a lightly modded car. make sure it's a good one. Reciepts, history, and the current owners enthusiasm for the car will show whether it's a good one. Due to these cars being relatively cheap now, some have had the misfortune of falling into the wrong hands, and have been abused. As a result will be nothing but greif.

To summarise then, if you're willing to put the effort in for the general upkeep and don't skimp on looking after it, the car will be a joy to own. Make sure the car you buy is a nice example to start with.

The Clio is almost as fast as an N/A? :blink: got me there.

The Supra is an extremely reliable car (As I'm sure you've gathered by now, reading all these posts :D) - But, before you choose a model don't just think 'I need to have loads of power' because about 70%+ of the time, you'll be in traffic or unable to fully utilise its potential.

If you're going to be doing mainly short to mid-range trips or in traffic quite often. I'd suggest an N/A (speaking from experience) as it does get a decent MPG when your right foot doesn't get that itching sensation, futhermore the N/A is still a quick car (although not so regarded by some owners...you know who you are) so can still give you a 'buzz' when you want a bit of speed.

Just my 2p - Good Luck with the search, Hope you find a Good-un :thumbs:

about 70%+ of the time, you'll be in traffic or unable to fully utilise its potential.

It's that magic 30% though that matters. That's the time when the uncontrollable grinning starts :D

You said yourself on the Brighton run that you didn't realise TT's were that quick when we were having some fun, and I'm being honest here, I wasn't even pushing her.

------------------------------

If you love that "pressed into the seat" feeling when accelerating, the TT does this in spades, especially when BPU'd.

Do it mate, you won't regret it. :thumbs:

Buy a well looked after TT for the weekends, and a cheap runabout for getting to work.

Thats what i did after originally buying a TT to drive everyday and it worked out a tad expensive having to fill her up every 4 days so bought an 1.6 Astra which does me just fine for work and i still have the Sup sitting on the drive for when its nice weather :)

But as already mentioned if you buy a TT and it goes wrong or Valve Stem Seals go or turbo seals go it can work out very expensive to fix so just make sure you know what your buying!