The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Useless Thread Titles

mawby

lets use the 'lefty' thread title as an example...that is not misleading surely? And ones that start with 'can you help', thats not misleading. This is a thread about useless thread titles, but this title clearly states what the thread is about.

My standpoint on this is that a thread title should be useful to somebody doing a search on a specific topic. If somebody has a problem with cold starting for instance, but the title just says 'can you help' then nobody else will benefit from that thread and so the title is useless and not misleading.

• 2 weeks later...
I've noticed an increase in the number of useless thread titles being used. Things like "Lefty", "Urgent Help" and "What about" give people no clue as to what the thread is about and really annoys the tits of me! I've been changing them myself recently but I'm changing tactics now. If you create a thread with a useless* title then don't be surprised if it just gets deleted - you have been warned!

And on that bombshell, good night. :)

*useless is defined as any title that does not, in the opinion of myself or another moderator, accurately describe the contents of the thread. Our decision will be final and will always be right, even when wrong.

I see a few moderators have got some grief with threads being deleted so I'm bumping this thread just as a reminder.

We're not doing this to be annoying or for some kind of power hungry glory (joke, before any knickers get in a twist). Things like meaningful thread titles, quick removal of spam (the bot kind) and not allowing pictures in signatures are just a few of the little things we do here in an attempt to keep the standards high which in turn should make everyone's forum browsing experience more enjoyable.

And yes, I fully realise how lame that sounds but I can't think of a less lame way of putting it so I'll now log off in shame of my lameness.

:lamesign:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Can I just bump this and possibly add a few bits that are becoming minor irritations on here at the moment?

Bumping for sale/wanted threads every 12-24 hours

2-3 threads on the same subject rather than updating the first thread

I feel at the moment like it's wading through a sea of dross to find anything relevant/interesting/informative to read on the forum currently :(

Not being able to edit your own thread title is a bit of a bummer (unless I missed something). I put up a thread title about LPG but it reality it was about propane anti-lag. Most would ignore it due to seeing LPG in the title, but I couldn't find a way to edit it.

Ask a parent, or a mod, to help you out with the change of title. :)

Why can't the OP have permissions to change his own thread title. Would save embarrassing spelling mistakes, like "Enegry Drinks" and "Boast Gauges":d

I like the sound of 'boast gauges', sounds amusing.

I guess because you could start a thread entitled "Do you like chocolate and fast cars?" then when everyone's stated "yeah fer sure" someone could mischieviously change it to "Do you love teh cock?" etc....

I like the sound of 'boast gauges', sounds amusing.

I guess because you could start a thread entitled "Do you like chocolate and fast cars?" then when everyone's stated "yeah fer sure" someone could mischieviously change it to "Do you love teh cock?" etc....

and if the penalty for such an action was an instant BAN then I think they would think twice.

Can I just bump this and possibly add a few bits that are becoming minor irritations on here at the moment?

Bumping for sale/wanted threads every 12-24 hours

2-3 threads on the same subject rather than updating the first thread

I feel at the moment like it's wading through a sea of dross to find anything relevant/interesting/informative to read on the forum currently :(

Here here

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...