The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official Series 14 Top Gear Thread

Steve

TG is getting a little too staged now, and that takes some of the fun out of it. The comment about good presenters to poor actors is quite right. I'm struggling to remember much about the episode, and I only watched it last night! Maybe next week will be better...?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Jezza's comment about the fact that it was driven by the Stig made all the difference on the track.

Yep, I think he was bob on there. The Audi is safe, sure-footed, techno-wrapped and 4WD. The Corvette is just the polar opposite.

Personally, for that money, in I'd have a Carrera 2S and £35k change.

I enjoyed last night's episode, but didn't the electric car feature just drag on forever, especially the 'filler' bit at the end?

Any scene with the Stig 'acting' in, just makes me laugh. :)

I think they should turn Top Gear into a series of road trips with silly challenges, rather than a lot of the studio stuff, as that they are very entertaining. To me they are, anyway!

Fascinating episode last night. I hadn't realised how much I'd been missing the cutting edge humour, superb acting, and engineering excellence of The Benny Hill Show.

(I almost expected it to end with a speeded-up film of the women from the front row of the audience being chased around the airfield by Hammond, wearing only comedy underpants and a string vest.)

I think the problem at the moment is not with the shows format, it's with the lack of new hot cars to be reviewed.. ?

Possibly... But does the filler have to be THIS bad? There are thousands of cars out there, I'm sure they could throw together somethign like a top 5 RWD cars under £10k, or best hot-hatches pre-2000, maybe even have a 4WD shoot out on the Top Gear track, using the top 3 ten year old 4WD cars, one presenter in each? These are just plucked out of the air, they all involve reviewing a certain set of cars available to the public (which the presenters are given a budget for?) and they entertain us by tacking them round a track, maybe different challenges too.

I'm sure this kind of thing would be more appealing than building an electric car and blatantly staging events and scripting what happens.

I think the problem at the moment is not with the shows format, it's with the lack of new hot cars to be reviewed.. ?

No, it's the format.

They could be reviewing any number of cars - not always the hot ones - but this format makes me resent the licence fee more and more.

This went off the boil years ago. It's just three middle aged men wanking over Kristin Scott Thomas (why? why? why?) and wearing deck shoes. It's blatantly scripted, and I can't stand the way Clarkson thinks good TV journalism is just making your voice go up and down.

Twats.

The races and events were good when there was only a couple per series, now that they do something every week it leaves less time for tire screeching crazyness in lush motors, I know what I would rather see.

There should be more stuff going round the circuit, reviewing things like the new M3 and putting it against something like a remapped 335 etc, it would also be nice to see comparisons between the new so-called hot hatches, something they havent done for a while.

I did enjoy last nights show but it does need more review based footage.