The mkiv Supra Owners Club

230 miles per tank....normal....?

kill1308

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an old thread but think it's better to revive it than starting a new one on the same subject. I've been testing how many miles I get in my Uk TT auto. I filled the car up last week from empty and got in 80 litres (owners manual confirms the size is 80 litres) at the time it was asda petrol £1.23 p/l (2 months ago V-Power was £1.19!) I've been driving how I drive, backroads to work, 20 min journey, drives into town now and again 30 min drive. I don't seem to need to use the motorway too often and I'm aware short traffic light journeys hurt mpg compaired to motorway driving. So, the empty light came on at 230 miles last night. Stopped for a small fill at 235miles

this is a Uk supra so the trip meter is in MILES not KILOMETERS as it would on a J-spec?

Some people above have claimed 320ish on a Uk tank (although above says an 80 litre tank origionally thought it was 70- I also must have had around 10 litres in the tank when the light came on as I put in 70 and it filled it)

so for these figures that are higher than me by more than 100 mpg than what I got. Is it that people are posting mpg from j-spec cars and it's actually in km? Or do I just have too heavy a right foot!? I wasn't being too careful, just normal, enjoying the car. Wanted to see what driving it like that would achieve.

Fill up at £1.23 cost £87 for 70 litres btw

I think I want to check the o2 sensor as suggested. I also think I'd like to do the same test on v-power as it needs to burn less to get the same bang.

Let me know your thoughts. Old thread I know but it's almost £1.30 at some pumps so it's getting redonkulous!

Cheers

Edited by Marcus GTE
Other user corrected me (see edit history)

I regularly get 320-340 miles on my JSpec.

How do you drive? Do you boost a lot?

How's it going Johnny,

I'm running a Uk TT auto with a back cat exhaust and k&n washable air filter that is made to replace origional air filter.

Not running a boost controler as when I bought it the guy stripped out a few upgrades such as HKS blow off and some other bits and bobs. He claimed it was close to 400 bhp. The removal of gear was to lower the price as he wasn't getting any intrest.

There is still a HKS fuel cut defender installed as he told me it wouldn't do any harm.

I'm a noob when it comes to tuning as I wanted a stock supra and this one was as close as I could get to it, don't get me wrong I love it! I'm even starting to forget mk mk3 and am selling it! :)

so to answer your question I should be on stock boost 0.8 bar? Just a guess. And I do drive using upto 3000-3500 rpm at times. And occasionally but not often up to 5000

I would guess that the O2 sensors would be on their way out if you are using a lot of fuel. As said there is an extra 10l in the UK tank so you should be hitting over 300 quite comfortably.

Cool, glad I meantioned it then! I'm going to have a search for how you assess them. Someone talked about using a simple volt meter, anyone done this?

this is a Uk supra so the trip meter is in MILES not KILOMETERS as it would on a J-spec?

so for these figures that are higher than me by more than 100 mpg than what I got. Is it that people are posting mpg from j-spec cars and it's actually in km?

Cheers

Most (if not all) JSpec cars have the ODO converted to count up in miles at the point the speedo conversion is done, so I don't think that has any bearing on the figures.

Mike

I have had my car for a year now a j spec tt6 bpu and i have never had over 200 miles to a tank ,i put it down to i do alots of short runs and if a take it out for a run i drive it hard , I did do a 130 mile run at the weekend all motorway and i did that run on just over a 1/4 of a tank so at that, i would be up to the 400 miles a tank .That has been talked about in this thread .

Rich.

i think you might need 2 x O2 sensors for your N/A but i could be wrong buddy. I bought a new O2 sensor for my Sup this week from Whifbitz and Paul offered a really good price and was very helpful through-out my whole order.

cool i might pop up to his place in crews hill as im about 20 mins from there.. and go talk to him in person.