The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dan's Supra Project

dandan

What a great thread Dan very impressive fella top bit of work there fella;)

Cheers matey - keeps me out of trouble :)

Dan, any chance you can post some better pics of the injector parts welded into the runners, should be getting my done at some point.

No sweat Wes, I can get some tonight. What exactly are you after - up close from a few different angles? Did you see these ones from earlier in the thread?

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope I missed those, thanks, that is what I was looking for :thumbs:

Are you going to powdercoat or paint the runners and inlet, if so what colour you going for?

Excellent.

Plenum and runners are due for a trip to the powder coaters but I'm still deciding on the throttle body. I'm not 100% sure about colour yet....most likely a shade of gunmetal grey or black as I want it as understated and OEM looking as possible.

I already have the cam covers ready to fit and they are black. I was planning on going with mostly black on the aluminium items and relying on things like the spark plug cover, TRD brace, compressor housing etc to break up the blackness to keep people like Paul Mac happy :D

I do like the black colour on engine parts as it's easy to keep clean, easy to touch up with a spot of paint if it gets damaged and....it is quick to get done at the powder coaters as they are always doing black parts!

Excellent.

Plenum and runners are due for a trip to the powder coaters but I'm still deciding on the throttle body. I'm not 100% sure about colour yet....most likely a shade of gunmetal grey or black as I want it as understated and OEM looking as possible.

I already have the cam covers ready to fit and they are black. I was planning on going with mostly black on the aluminium items and relying on things like the spark plug cover, TRD brace, compressor housing etc to break up the blackness to keep people like Paul Mac happy :D

I do like the black colour on engine parts as it's easy to keep clean, easy to touch up with a spot of paint if it gets damaged and....it is quick to get done at the powder coaters as they are always doing black parts!

I like the black too, so you have my vote!

Those look lurvely :thumbs:

Top work! Can't wait to see the final results. I think I may have to copy this build for mine :D

:drool: those look great. Mine are also black but were painted.

Cheers fellas.

I was going to paint them myself (along with the intercooler pipes) but powdercoating was actually less effort for me anyway so I went with that instead. :D

So....onto today's efforts....well, it's no longer running :)

The original throttle body, plenum and runners were taken off today along with the injectors, fuel feed line, pulsation dampener and the first part of the fuel return line.

Everything stripped off....

Trial fitting of the newer stuff and the FIC fuel rail (with dummy injectors)...

I also fitted the Aeromotive FPR on a custom bracket I made up...

Obviously no project thread is complete without the ubiquitous socket extension shot :D This was what I used for one of the pulsation dampener bolts because I was tired of reaching down in beside the block time after time...especially as the car is about 18" up in the air! :)

CIMG3150a.jpg

CIMG3164a.JPG

CIMG3159a.jpg

CIMG3165a.jpg

CIMG3145a.JPG

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

I spent yesterday evening making up the fuel lines that run from the filter to the FIC rail and then from the rail to the Aeromotive regulator. Next step will be to get these pressure tested.

The only one left to do at this end of the car is a return line from the regulator to the stock return hardpipe.

I ended up using a combination of Red Horse fitings (for the 90 degree pieces) and Earl's Anotuff for the straight and 45 degree fittings. I have always used Earl's parts in the past and I only changed to the Red Horse ones as I could not get Earls parts in time.

I was very impressed with the quality of the Red Horse parts. All of the corners on the fittings are deburred very well, the surface finish is extremely smooth and the anodizing seems thicker, harder and shows up as a much deeper colour than the Earl's parts. I will still use Earl's fittings but certainly have no reservations about these Red Horse ones as the quality is excellent.

Red Horse 90 Degree Fitting

Earl's 45 Degree Fitting

Speedflow Adaptor

CIMG3174a.jpg

CIMG3177a.jpg

CIMG3178a.jpg

CIMG3181a.jpg

Adapters from FIC look good, I will prob order mine from there as well :thumbs:

I still need to assemble the hoses for the breather system and that is a mixture of Earl's and Speedflow parts. The Speedflow ones appear to be good quality too but I'll let you know how the assembly goes. The Red Horse ones definitely seem easier to put together (probably because the anodizing is smoother on the threads, the threads are much finer and for a given fitting size there is about double the thread length inside)

Tasty looking lines. What sort of pressure will you be running?

Not 100% sure yet Mark. Probably in the region of 3.5bar static but I need to do some research on the optimum pressure range for the injectors and check how low that pressure can go for good atomisation.

They look great Dan. It's all coming together very well :)

Cheers Kev - I'm getting there now and it's mostly smaller jobs that need doing at this point rather than the big fabrication and assembly. I'm on holiday next week which will slow thngs up a little but we'll see...

I'm not sure if I missed the post, but why did you cut open the intake manifold Dan?

The main reason was I wanted some more volume in the plenum Kev and the only way to get in to do it properly was to chop the top off (for better access and room to work). I also did some mild porting work around the throttle area, removed a whole heap of casting flash and also balanced up the flow a little better after some flowbench work.

That was all done about 3 years ago ready for a single turbo car I was going to buy. That purchase fell through and this has been in the garage ever since waiting to permanently weld the top back on (as it was only temporarily fixed and sealed for the flow testing) and be cleaned up to fit to a suitable motor. Now seemed like a sensible opportunity as my car will be a similar setup to what I was going to buy, it's already off the road and the lower runners had to be swapped anyway. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well I have a few small updates to post up - mainly due to a week away on holiday holding up progress :D

I have the lower runners back from the powder coaters and these are now 99% ready to fit. I had both faces machined flat as one was slightly curved - possibly from the welding but can't be sure....they're definitely flat now though :)

I gave the internals a mild clean up mainly due remove casting flash and achieve a much smoother overall finish. Now I need my second thermal gasket to come so I can match the plenum/runner faces to the gasket and fit it. I should have the plenum and throttle body back from the powder coater tday so I can start reassembling those ready to fit.

The fuel lines pressure tested fine with no problems at all so they are ready to fit. I also have a new fuel filter ready to fit so all the fuelling install should come together nicely. The line from the filter to the tank is staying stock but from the filter forward it's all new and anything in the tank is new too (especially seen as I managed to track down the Gates SAE30-R10 submersible hose!!)

Here's a shot of the one way valve I mentioned in another thread (not my picture though). This replaces the Bosch valve and negates the need to use a banjo fitting. I'll have some more detailed pictures of this posted up once the pump is fitted to the new hanger:

New OEM dual mass flywheel and RPS clutch are fitted with all new bearings, bolts, hub, fork, spacer, shim spring etc etc etc:

Solid AP Engineering shifter mounts fitted:

CIMG3254a.JPG

CIMG3258a.jpg

CIMG3253a.jpg

One way valve.jpg

CIMG3248a.JPG

CIMG3247a.JPG

This arrived today too along with some of the smaller hardware pieces:

I won't be fitting this in the near future but they don't seem to come up for sale very often so I felt obliged to buy it :D

If it was a simple bolt on affair then I'd get it on but right now I don't have time for all the relocation work (battery, power steering reservoir, fuse box etc) plus fabbing up some new pipes for the cold side intercooler routing.

The car will be run on Surrey Rolling Road with my modified plenum and then I hope to do a comparison to this Greddy one sometime in 2010 when I have some more time on my hands. However, if the car produces the torque curve I'm expecting then I may just sell this on at some point and save the hassle.

It sure would look good though :D

CIMG3277a.jpg