dandan

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the plan for these Dan?

They are the vacuum source for the breather system - I've routed them into the midpipe so that I can drop some heat out of the lines before they get back to the engine bay area where the valves and tank will be for the breather system. This is one of the last jobs I will be doing last as it needs a bit of thought and some careful testing to get a sensible vacuum (not too much) and make sure everything works reliably (heat issues).

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

I am assembling everything on the turbo side before having any ceramic coating done. This will give me a chance to check for noises, clearances, any adjustments to be made etc before I have forked out the cash for the coatings and then need to adjust the fit of a pipe somewhere.

The plan is to fire the car up on the stock ecu and injectors for some sort of confirmation that all the turbo side stuff is good. Once I am happy, everything will come off and go for coating.

While the exhast side parts are being coated (turbine housings, manifold, downpipe, midpipe, and wastegate pipes) I will swap over my cam covers, intake runners, plenum, throttle body, injectors and fuel rail, Aeromotive regulator, intake temp sensor, and add the NTK wideband. At that point I will be fitting the Solaris and need Ryan to come back to fire it up and get a low boost map in there for a shakedown period.

It's a slower way of doing things (rather than attacking everything at once) but it will make troubleshooting any problems far easier.

Once I am happy with everything I will fit the 044 pump setup, water injection system, custom breather system, cold airbox and feed and a few other little bits and then get it to Surry Rolling Road for a proper mapping session.

After cleaning everytihng last night I assembled my custom double tipped thermocouple into one end of the manifold and put the Defi probe into the other. Eventually the Defi one will be replaced by the second custom probe so I have a reliable Inconel probe in both runners 1 and 6. For my initial setup I'll only be getting data from the Defi probe and gauge.

I also got the oil drain parts assembled and got the drain fitted from turbo to block.

Manifold fitted (along with the wastegate feed tube) ready for the turbo

CIMG3013a.jpg

CIMG3009a.JPG

CIMG3011a.JPG

CIMG3022a.JPG

CIMG3025a.jpg

CIMG3019a.jpg

Turbo is now fitted - it's a Precision T6776DBB which came via KylesTT - thanks Kyle! :thumbs:

I decided to go with the 0.81 exhaust housing first to see how it spools. With stock cams and the cast manifold I am hoping the bottom end pull will be acceptable on the road.

I'm really looking forward to some dyno comparisons of the torque curves in the lower RPM range and hopefully it may be fairly close to that of a tubular manifold and 0.68 housing combo but we'll have to wait to see.

Is anyone running a tubular manifold and a 0.68 housing T67 on stock cams/head and intake?

CIMG3035a.JPG

CIMG3031a.jpg

CIMG3026a.JPG

CIMG3032a.jpg

Nice work :thumbs:

Cheers Wes. BTW - I paid the injector invoice the other day by bank transfer. Could you please confirm you received it.

I have a dyno graph with that same setup from when i first went single on this car, let me know if you want it?

Edit... graph attached.

Any good Dan? BL T67dbb with 0.68 housing, stock cams & head, tubular manifold, stock intake:

Nice one fellas - thank you. :thumbs:

Both of your graphs are very similar. What boost were both of you running there - I don't suppose you have boost curves for the same runs?

Jamie - did your change of intake take you from the 548 all the way to the 632 figure or did you run more boost or change other things too?

Darryl - was your plot before or after I drove it? Can you remember?

Jamie -dyno, stock cams and intake.jpg

RR-Homer-Flywheel small.jpg

Nice one fellas - thank you. :thumbs:

Both of your graphs are very similar. What boost were both of you running there - I don't suppose you have boost curves for the same runs?

Jamie - did your change of intake take you from the 548 all the way to the 632 figure or did you run more boost or change other things too?

That was the one and only time it was dyno'd with the stock intake manifold, im sure i have the boost graphs, ill check tomorrow, think it was 1.5bar.

Mine was just under 1.4 bar, pic attached below

Darryl - was your plot before or after I drove it? Can you remember?

It was most definetly after, the car had a number of issues when you drove it (not known at the time), after a lot of changes and a remap by Ryan that dyno run was done. It was a different animal afterwards

That was the one and only time it was dyno'd with the stock intake manifold, im sure i have the boost graphs, ill check tomorrow, think it was 1.5bar.

It's on Ryan's website, 1.5 bar according to that, alhough I think it spooled quicker than mine, probably due to you one having a proper manifold and not an xs power one :D

EDIT - updated with a comparison

RR-Homer-FW&boost small.jpg

Homer vs jamie dyno.jpg

Mine was just under 1.4 bar, pic attached below

Thanks Homer. If you were at 1.4bar and Jamie was at 1.5bar then I think you should be very happy. The spool does look a little slower but top end there's not much between them considering the boost difference. Was this with the Link ECU?

Anyway - at least I have something to compare against now - cheers!

I managed to get a little more done early this morning:

Rear water hose is now wrapped and protected from downpipe heat, downpipe has temporary cheap heat wrap on it to help out before my heat shielding and ceramic coating is done, spare lambda sensor boss (for the Solaris' NTK sensor) is blanked off, downpipe and wastegate piping is fitted, OEM lambda sensor is in, Tial wastegate spring has been swapped for a 1 bar setup, vacuum source for the blow off valve is plumbed in (using the old steel hose at the back of the engine bay from what I think was a charcoal cannister line)....and that's it for today.

Ignore the second nut on the 3" V band clamp - this was just a spacer to help when adjusting the downpipe position (it saved me winding the lock nut all the way on).

CIMG3039a.jpg

CIMG3043a.jpg

CIMG3057a.jpg

I got all the intercooler piping uptogether last night but I still need to drill and tap one more WI hole on the cold side piping; once that's done and cleaned up I will fit the cold side pipes (with blanks in the WI ports for now).

I did manage to fit the hotside piping and BOV last night. It's a tight squeeze but all went well and it's a neat OEM looking install once in place - just the way I wanted.

CIMG3068a.JPG

CIMG3061a.JPG

I bet you're itching to fire her up?

I'll say! :)

Finished a few more jobs last night...

- Cold side intercooler piping and WI blanks fitted

- Turbo coolant return line fitted

- 99% of the wastegate and boost solenoid plumbing is done (just waiting on a barb fitting although this wouldn't stop me starting it)

- Radiator overflow fitted

- AEM wideband wiring has been relocated to suit new sensor position

- Blitz DSBC removed

- Defi water temp and EGT wired back up (neater than before)

- Intake parts are fitted

- Exhaust rear mount modified to suit new exhaust

I think all that's left now is:

- Fit the downpipe lower mounting bolt into place

- Fill the coolant system

- Fit a temporary breather pipe on the exhaust side cam cover

- Connect the boost solenoid wiring

- Change oil

Very close :D