Dan's Supra Project

dandan

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had an hour and a half spare this morning to work on the car so I got on with the few remaining jobs with the intention of firing her up and spending some time checking everything was running well.

Tightened compressor housing in slightly modified position

Fitted the temporary cam cover breather

Changed the oil

Filled up the coolant

and then I noticed there was a tiny hole in the Fluidyne radiator I had bought from Keron and it was firing a micro jet of coolant at the aircon radiator.........damn! (I should have spotted it before I fitted the rad but nevermind). :search:

So then I drained the coolant, disconnected the battery, removed the battery tray, disconnected the electric fans and temp sensor, removed the top and bottom hoses and pulled the radiator out. Then I swapped the plastic fan shroud and temperature sensor over to my original radiator and refitted it all again! :yawn:

After bleeding some oil through to the turbo and checking everything was good I refitted the fuses etc and connected the ignitor back up. 1/2 a turn of the key later............wooooooooohoooooooooo! :D :D :D It's running and I am very suprised at how quiet it is!

Surprising how much you get done in a short space of time when well motivated ;) but in the end I didn't get chance to do anything other than simply starting it and letting it run for a couple of minutes. :( I'll leave the stock rad in for now until I decide what to do with the Fluidyne. Hopefully if it gets sorted I will be able to swap it when the turbo kit comes back off for ceramic coating.

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

That's awesome, congrats bud.

Great to hear Dan, well done :thumbs:

Cheers fellas.

You know how it is...if it's not on tape/video/photo...it didn't happend! ;-)

I was there, I saw it and heard it :) (although I only just heard it as the new exhaust is so quiet even with the 4" DP and MP)

Blimey! You did smash that out this morning. Well done Dan :thumbs:

I thought I was going to be pushing my luck to get it started as it was but then when I saw the rad leak I figured there was no chance at all. But as luck would have it, it all went smoothly after that and the swap over didn't juice up much time. I wanted a bit more time to check ground clearances and see how everything fared once it all heated up but I didn't get chance because of the time lost on the rad swap....no big deal. I can get back to it on Thursday night so we'll see what happens then.

Here's a shot of the offending spot on the rad.....it's about 1mm by just under 0.5mm and actually looks blindingly obvious in a close up photo. (Damaged area is in red - although the part in blue doesn't look great either). :( Looks like it got hit with something from right to left as this picture is took.

I'll probably look into a repair next week when I have some time and get it pressure tested as well. If not I'll have to speak to Keron about a replacement or maybe I could re-core it. We'll see.....

CIMG3077aa.JPG

Great news Dan, well done. The cores are so easy to bend/break. You only have to look at them and they mis-shape :(

Great Stuff Dan, any chance of a video of her running?

Hopefully I'll have it fixed and re-fitted next week Kev :)

Cheers Fitz - I should be able to grab a video next time I get a chance to work on it....probably the weekend.

A couple of the shots of the intake assembly:

A simple 45degree pipe doesn't work as well as on a tubular kit as the cast manifold leaves the turbo sitting square with the engine. In order to get the filter into the near corner and into my airbox type ducting it needed the extra kick over at the end from the additional curved piece.

CIMG2959a.jpg

CIMG2962a.JPG

A couple of the shots of the intake assembly:

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz202/danc8000/Intake/CIMG2959a.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz202/danc8000/Intake/CIMG2962a.jpg

A simple 45degree pipe doesn't work as well as on a tubular kit as the cast manifold leaves the turbo sitting square with the engine. In order to get the filter into the near corner and into my airbox type ducting it needed the extra kick over at the end from the additional curved piece.

Sweet, what diametre pipework is that? Looks 3" to me but I could be wrong...

Question for you mate, just had my injector collets weled in same as you and the weld is a tad above the top of the collet, im talking a tiny bit, maybe 0.5mm, will that be ok or shall i get em machined flat before powdercoating?

Cheers:)

most injectors will be clear of this i would hazard a guess they will be fine, try an injector with the rail and bracket, would look sweet machined though

Where did you rustle that up from?

I'll try to find out Mark as I will have a receipt somewhere. I bought it a LONG time ago but I think it came from New Zealand or Oz from a custom turbo part supplier or somewhere like that.

That's a real man's filter. ;)

:D

Question for you mate, just had my injector collets weled in same as you and the weld is a tad above the top of the collet, im talking a tiny bit, maybe 0.5mm, will that be ok or shall i get em machined flat before powdercoating?

Cheers:)

most injectors will be clear of this i would hazard a guess they will be fine, try an injector with the rail and bracket, would look sweet machined though

Paul is right Jamie - they should be clear so I wouldn't lose any sleep over the 0.5mm. I haven't had a chance to piece mine together yet but there should be at least that much float on the injector position. If you were worried about it then a quick rub across the face with a fine file would do the trick - it doesn't need to need to be "precision flat" as nothing actually seals against it.

This is how everything looked the other day for the "test start up".

There are quite a few temporary things on there at the moment like the exhaust wrap, the short length of pipe on the cam cover breather, lambda sensor, EGT sensor braided wire towards the rear and of course the radiator setup.

Next step is to move on to the intake side parts, the cam covers, the breather system and all the heat shielding. I also need to decide when to get all the exhaust parts ceramic coated.

CIMG3075a.jpg

This is what I am working with on the intake side - hopefully I can get all this turned around pretty fast. I'll get everything tidied and cleaned up and do a test fit before sending parts off for plating and powdercoating....

The plenum needs a clean up on the inside where the top was welded back on and also needs drilling and tapping for the new intake temp sensor. I do need to get the inside of the runners cleaned up too so the die grinder and cartridge rolls will be coming out again :D

The FPR bracket needs finishing as well becuase it's only rough cut at the moment to get the positioning correct and to help me sort out the fuel line routing.

The injectors in the rail are only dummies from another project - I don't want the EV14's out until they are ready to be fitted.

The throttle body needs some dressing on the welding and then a stripdown to prep it for powder coating. I'm thinking that I need to get a little badge or something made up to sit where the ETCS badge used to be....any ideas?

CIMG3083a.jpg

CIMG3081a.jpg

CIMG3085a.jpg

CIMG3096a.JPG