The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dan's Supra Project

dandan

Thanks a lot Mig, appreciate it mate. :thumbs: Like I said, for me it is just time and patience. I don't think anything has been "above normal" in terms of attention to detail - anything like this I do is always to this sort of standard as it seems normal; anything less would feel like a bit of a bodge :)

Oh believe me, you are above normal compared to a lot :)

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh believe me, you are above normal compared to a lot :)

Thanks Mig :thumbs:

It's coming along nicely. When is it going to be ready?

Ryan is coming out tomorrow to fit the Solaris, and get a map setup so I can give it a bit of a shakedown for a good week or so.

It's pretty much finished now, the only real jobs left to do (barring the longer term stuff like the Greddy intake and huge front mount intercooler) are:

1. Finish and fit the airbox

2. Complete the fitting of the Aquamist 2S water injection system (needs a tank fabricated to fit in the boot where the tools reside)

3. Fit the breather tank, valves and pipework to the exhaust (no flexible hardpipe in UK at the moment apparently so that's on hold for a couple of weeks)

4. Electric exhaust bypass valve (for dumping the exhaust gas after only one silencer, rather than three)

Dan, where did you get the material to protect the master clutch cylinder from?

It's coming along really well. Looks fantastic.

Cheers Kev. The heatshield is made from Nimbus GII material. It is available from Demontweeks here:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=NIMG2C

There is a thinner version (more like 3mm total thickness tather than my stuff which I think is about 5mm) and that is called G1 or Nimbus Light I think.

Edit: This stuff on Ebay looks almost identical too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEAT-SHIELD-HEAT-BARRIER-MATERIAL-1200mm-x-615mm-approx_W0QQitemZ170403211216QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item27acd2a7d0

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

If you get bored Dan and want to make a few quid, I'd happily buy one off you now that you have the exact size and dimensions required :D

I could do that Kev sure, but if you're in a mega rush it's unlikely as I'm a bit pushed for time right now. It's not amazingly difficult (assuming you were gonna try it yourself) but it'd just take a looong time to get the shape perfect. :)

Well, it's on the road :D

Ryan came over today and we ended up getting it on the road and running up to about 1 bar. :) We couldn't go any higher as it's still running on the stock MAP sensor, that'll be sorted next time we meet up to finish the mapping.

I know someone's going to ask (and Ryan may have to answer to be 100% accurate) but I'm sure he said it was making 1bar in 4th at 3200rpm. Can you remember Ryan?

Jobs to do now:

Fabricate stainless tank for water injection

Plumb in water injection and wire into the Solaris

Fit the fuel and oil pressure sensors

Fit the 3bar MAP sensor

Fit my catch can and breather lines (when I get them)

Swap the wastegate spring as it's boosting way too high on the wastegate spring right now (does anyone have a 1bar spring in their Tial 44mm - if so, is it one spring or two?)

Fit the airbox

Fit the exhaust cutout and dump tube (for free breathing compared to the 3" Tanabe style)

Make up some sound deadening/shield to reduce the noise from the BOV!

Sounds good mate, feel fast at 1bar? you still on stock cams? look forward to seeing how it does on the dyno:)

Stock cams right now mate. I don't think we went much over 5000rpm so weren't really flying but it does pull nice and strong. I need to swap the wastegate spring and get the other MAP sensor in before we can stretch its legs properly...then I can get a real idea of how it compares to the old setup. Today was just to get me on the road and reliably mobile at low boost for a little while to check out the whole install before the real mapping.

It sure sounds faster - jesus what a noise from the intake and turbo! :D

I could do that Kev sure, but if you're in a mega rush it's unlikely as I'm a bit pushed for time right now.

I'm no rush at all. My turbo is still on back order :(

Great news on getting the car on the road.

Any reason for a stainless tank for the water injection? I used a plastic one, exactly the same as the one that comes with the AEM kits. I can PM you a link for the place I bought it from if you like?

I'm no rush at all. My turbo is still on back order :(

Great news on getting the car on the road.

Any reason for a stainless tank for the water injection? I used a plastic one, exactly the same as the one that comes with the AEM kits. I can PM you a link for the place I bought it from if you like?

Yes pm me a link please Kev, that would be great. I was planning to have a custom tank and pump mounting area fabricated to sit on the left hand side of the boot where the polystyrene tool tray is - that way it shouldn't intrude into the boot space too much.

The only reason I wanted stainless was because of the Methanol's effect on aluminium. Plastic would be even better but I think I'm unlikely to find the right shape.

Perfect - thanks mate :thumbs:

Ive got a tial 1 bar wastegate spring in the garage just sitting in the draw never fitted it to the blue Supra. its only 1 spring Dan. You can have it if you want it. Its no good to me.

That would be excellent mate - it would save me deciphering what I have now. According to Kev's attachment my dual spring setup could well be 1bar but if I was supplied the wrong springs initially then it could be miles off.

great stuff Dan, hows the low down grunt with the cast manifold

To be honest Paul i don't have a massive wealth of driving experience in single turbo supras to compare to. That said, it seems to pull better in the low revs than my bpu setup. It is in no way laggy or unresponsive at all, it has a nice load of pull from about 2000rpm and the part throttle is very responsive and strong. The boost threshold is very low and it seems to get into decent positive boost instantaneously. I'll keep a close eye on things next time i go out and give you some feedback but it'll only be based on the rev counter and boost gauge for now. Also, with full throttle i only have up to about 3000rpm to play with as it gets to Ryan's fuel/spark but at 0.8bar in no time at all. Basically the majority of my driving has been part throttle normal driving and in that scenario i haven't found it lacking at all. . . Feels like a 5litre :D

To be honest Paul i don't have a massive wealth of driving experience in single turbo supras to compare to. That said, it seems to pull better in the low revs than my bpu setup. It is in no way laggy or unresponsive at all, it has a nice load of pull from about 2000rpm and the part throttle is very responsive and strong. The boost threshold is very low and it seems to get into decent positive boost instantaneously. I'll keep a close eye on things next time i go out and give you some feedback but it'll only be based on the rev counter and boost gauge for now. Also, with full throttle i only have up to about 3000rpm to play with as it gets to Ryan's fuel/spark but at 0.8bar in no time at all. Basically the majority of my driving has been part throttle normal driving and in that scenario i haven't found it lacking at all. . . Feels like a 5litre :D

You don't want it boosting too early or you'll end up using a shed load of fuel.... ;) Get a bigger turbo! haha... Just kidding. Sounds great. Mine was very strong from low down too....

Great job well done Dan, I can not wait until the figures come out for this build credit to the club and a fantastic car you should be proud fella.:thumbs:

Thanks Adam - we'll have to meet up once it's fully finished. Not sure how the numbers are going to pan out yet but it will be interesting :)

You don't want it boosting too early or you'll end up using a shed load of fuel.... ;) Get a bigger turbo! haha... Just kidding. Sounds great. Mine was very strong from low down too....

You know what Mark...I'm thinking along those kind of lines already :D