The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dan's Supra Project

dandan

The welding of all the downpipe and custom exhaust parts is now finished and almost ready to fit for an initial start up. I need to remove a bit of weld material in a few places but nothing major.

I think the only outstanding job I need to get done before a trial fit and startup is tapping the manifold for those EGT probes. Once that's done I'll be starting the car on the stock ECU and injectors to check all is ok on the turbo side.....it finally seems like I'm making progress :D

CIMG2815a.JPG

CIMG2816a.JPG

CIMG2817a.JPG

CIMG2818a.JPG

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

like the idea with the twin thermocouple Dan, where did you get it from and does it have the juction in the tip

I had a little batch custom made to my spec specific for this application and yes the junction is very close to the tip....the intrusion into the manifold was specced at ~12-15mm.

I'll go back through my paperwork and dig out the order details.

I didn't have any real time to work on the car this weekend but I cleaned all the intercooler pipework and got it ready to fit. Once they were drilled and tapped for the WI points the only other real job was mounting the Tial blow off valve. It will be sitting near the old sidemount location but tucked away from road grime and debris - it can't be seen through the side duct.

CIMG2832a.jpg

I also picked up my new fuel rail and injectors which came from Fuel Injector Clinic in the US. I cannot thank Jens at FIC enough for all his help and advice and most of all for supplying great products at great prices. I was a little bit fussy with the options I wanted (black rail, black fittings and also some additional hose ends as I ran out of my Earls supply) and nothing was too much hassle. :thumbs:

The Fuel Rail Kit

The Injectors (Modified Bosch EV14 - 900cc/min high impedence)

Most people refer to these as 1000cc/min but with petrol they flow 900cc/min. They use the same Bosch EV14 base injector as the 1000cc/min versions marketed by places like Injector Dynamics (where the flow testing is apparently not done with petrol and hence achieves 1000cc/min)

Extra Bits (#6 90 degree Red Horse hose ends)

CIMG2894a.jpg

CIMG2836a.JPG

CIMG2889a.jpg

CIMG2890a.jpg

CIMG2880a.jpg

CIMG2882a.jpg

CIMG2881a.JPG

CIMG2885a.jpg

CIMG2892a.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

Jens also shipped over a new intake temp sensor for me as well. This is an AC Delco unit and it should react faster to inlet air temp fluctuations than the OEM sensor. This is not the same thread as the OEM sensor so if it's being fitting to a J spec plenum the hole will need re-tapping to 3/8" NPT. (I'm using a UK spec plenum which has no hole for it so I will have to drill and tap it anyway - I'm now trying to decide if the OEM location is the best spot for it...)

I will try to get some testing done this week and compare the response of the Delco to the OEM unit.

CIMG2879a.jpg

CIMG2878a.jpg

looking good I must say :thumbs:

Great work Dan' date='superb attention to detail.[/quote']

Thanks fellas :thumbs:

Apparently not, they suffer from heat soak, have a chat with Ryan ;)

Have my ait sensor fitted in the ic pipework (weld in boss).

I'm wondering if people suffering heat soak issues in the stock location are all using the OEM sensor which is not an open element? I'll see what Ryan has seen on any recent motors....

If there is some sort of issue with the OEM location I may investigate coming up through the underside of the throttle body but that will hinge on whether or not the injection mist from the WI jet on the intercooler pipe curve will clear the sensor tip - I obviously don't want to spray the sensor! :D

I cleaned the injector boss areas of my spare runners ready to weld in the injector bungs. The instructions don't mention welding but my bungs weren't a tight fit in the runners' counterbores so I wasn't happy going with silicon or anything like that. A couple of people have asked about the details of fitting these bungs so there's a few up close photos below which hopefully make it really obvious as there's nothing to it really.

Some kits come with O rings on the bungs to seal against the counterbore in the runner...some are a tight fit and the basic idea is to just press them in....some are slack and definitely need welding. I would classify the FIC ones as a decent sliding fit and would recommend they are welded into place. (In fact, I think I would always have these welded no matter what the fit was like but check the through bore for distortion after welding ;) ).

The runners are filthy but they'll be blasted, degreased and powdercoated once these bungs are welded in...I only cleaned the welding area :D

CIMG2895a.JPG

CIMG2897a.JPG

CIMG2898a.JPG

CIMG2899a.JPG

CIMG2901a.JPG

Thanks for the comments fellas - if people are liking it and benefitting then I'll keep posting up the photos! :)

Please do, Dan. Not only is it nice to see home brew Supra's being built, but it's good to see it being done with care and attention. It's certainly going to be beneficial to others wishing to do the same thing.

Good job i see this before having my manifold powdercoated, didnt realise these needed welding in, nice one Dan.:)

Good timing then :)

I just picked mine back up from being welded, I'll post a couple of photos up later tonight. Jens at FIC didn't suggest welding but I prefer to see it all sealed up and solid. Plus once they're welded in the powder coating will adhere to everything and run right up to the bore the injector sits in....nice and neat!

Please do, Dan. Not only is it nice to see home brew Supra's being built, but it's good to see it being done with care and attention. It's certainly going to be beneficial to others wishing to do the same thing.

Thanks Mig - will do. Hopefully people will find different bits of it useful, or get a few ideas, for different jobs they may end up doing on their own cars.

I picked the lower runners up today after having the injector bosses welded in - a very nice job once again.

I'll get these cleaned up and ready for powdercoating at some point. I need to drill and tap the plenum for my new IAT sensor, strip the throttle body and then all three pieces can then be done at the same time.

CIMG2912a.JPG

CIMG2914a.JPG

CIMG2918a.JPG

Looking Brilliant mate, wish i had the time and patience to do this. Id be like ah fek it drop it off pay the cash wait. job done. lol

:D

The longer things take, the more it tests your patience! :) I was never going to be able to jump into it with 100% of my time due to work and time commitments but I'm not far off my plan at all so I'm happy :thumbs: