James

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That'd be cool!

I need to take my mum out to Banchory just now so won't be too long started by the time you get here!

I may nip to Halfrauds for some spray paint if you fancy some dash action? :)

Yeah sounds good, does yours have the rubber coating? You'll need sand paper either way.

nice car, enjoy. and yea be aware when it rains if you put ur foot half way down on the throttle the back will side out :p after a few weeks you will learn.

I myself went from a 2.0 TDI Audi A3 at 140bhp and went up to a 400bhp Supra lol so i know how you feel.

Petrol costs are a right bugger.

Yeah sounds good, does yours have the rubber coating? You'll need sand paper either way.

As we've discovered - no coating! Bonus :D

nice car, enjoy. and yea be aware when it rains if you put ur foot half way down on the throttle the back will side out :p after a few weeks you will learn.

I myself went from a 2.0 TDI Audi A3 at 140bhp and went up to a 400bhp Supra lol so i know how you feel.

Petrol costs are a right bugger.

Yeah I went from an 88bhp Golf mk5 1.4 :lol:

Had the car just over a year now (need to change the thread title!), but thanks for the kind words!

------------------------------------

Got some more stuff done to the car last night:-

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs368.snc4/45154_505713088153_339200132_191473_3215522_n.jpg

Removed the seats;

Removed the carpet (it's old and grey, needs dyed black :cool: );

Removed all dash panels (getting sprayed soon)

Removed the dash in prep for the heater matrix swap (well, very nearly - as it is an NA-TT, the wiring at the driver's footwell is a nightmare to get undone to free the dash);

Almost removed the crash bar (dash wiring in the way).

Once the crash bar is out of the way I can get the heater box out and replace my matrix.

Still need to empty out the air-con gas though. :rolleyes:

Thankfully, the air con was as good as empty!

Everything is now out of the way completely and the heater box removed so I can install the new matrix and fix all of the - shoddy as you like - wiring that was done when the conversion was done when the previous owner had it.

Here are some pictures as it currently stands (on the inside):-

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs312.snc4/40960_505740762693_339200132_192458_7403056_n.jpg

Fuel Cut Defender and Speed Limit Defender just "thrown in" with the ECU:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs255.snc4/40101_505740772673_339200132_192459_6584249_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs255.snc4/40101_505740777663_339200132_192460_5879611_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs135.ash2/40101_505740782653_339200132_192461_6898855_n.jpg

More messy wiring:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs275.snc4/40101_505740787643_339200132_192462_6950343_n.jpg

Comforting knowing that it'll all be better for going back together again :)

Yes indeed Geo!

Just needs a bit of tidying and I'll be at rest with it!

Wondering about the adjustable aspect of the FCD, I'm going to just leave it, but I guess it's a boost regulator (essentially)?

If you have the skills dude, id whip it all out and then wire it all up nicely, just take pics/diagram of the wiring to the ECU so you know how to wire it back up.

New matrix is now fitted.

Here it is next to the old, leaking unit:

The heater box has been refitted and the wiring in the passenger footwell tidied up a bit. I've mounted the SLD and FCD on the ECU casing rather than having them rolling around on the floor. All other wires are neatly bunched out of the way of the active stuff.

The crash bar has also now been fitted back into place.

The wiring for the Toad alarm system was horrendous so that has been re-routed through the crash bar end and fed through the roof lining so the sensors are in sensible positions with no wires on display anymore.

Still need to neaten the wiring for the oil temperature and pressure gauges before putting the dash back in.

Intercooler is also now off. Will polish up the piping while everything is out of the way. If it will work fine and everything will mate up, then I will get the brackets re-welded in the opposite directions on the intercooler so it is reverse mounted compared to before. Will look better. :)

Getting there. :)

Edited by James (see edit history)

Great progress loon! I'll be out to see the work soon no doubt :)

Nice one :)

I have a couple of little brackets that need fitted back on to the crash bar (or at least, behind the dash) and I can't remember where they went to. :rolleyes:

Will need to try and find pictures! :taped:

Stock fuel cut is at 1 bar I believe, so the FCD is just tricking the ECU into thinking I'm below 1 bar so that it doesn't cut, even if it's at 1.2 :)

I need to get that first decat to open it up to that though as it's still at 0.85.

Then, if the restrictor ring is allowing it to boost too high, I'll get a boost controller as well as a smaller restrictor ring. :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks dude! I'm sure the clear lensed headlights will be the make or break factor that sets it off a treat ;)

It'll take a while to get it all together as I have lots of bits I want to put on it before putting it back on the road and juggling 2 part time jobs and Uni means it'll be a long time coming! :(

• 3 weeks later...

Some good progress now!

Received a new crossmember and bumper guide from Keron so got the crossmember welded on and it mates up to the chassis legs perfectly, which was a MASSIVE relief!

Had a bit of a silly moment with the bumper guide as I couldn't remember that the wings mate up with it at the ends so I was confused as to where the "missing" bracket was! Haha!

Removed the air con and refitted the radiator.

Just need to get some Brasso on the intercooler piping to clean it up a little and re-fit the intercooler into place (Greddy 2 row).

After that is done, I just have to wait for my new Ridox front wings and Ridox bumper arriving so that I can get them painted and fitted! Then it's the bonnet to be purchased after that (Seibon DV-II (Varis style)). :)

Will get some pictures soon! :)