The mkiv Supra Owners Club

individual throttle bodies

paul mac

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it, that any N/A project, is 'like a red rag to a bull' for the T.T. negative brigade? :zzz:

No, its just alot effort for very little reward power wise

That's what I meant Swampy. Why is there always some cock that has to come along and spoil an otherwise great thread.

• 1 month later...

Right then, got my suspension and marriage sorted (not necesarily in that order) so back to it :D, got a bit done today, got all the bellmouths and stubs prepped for welding, i had a bit of a mismatch with these due to some machining innacuracy (i wish i had my own lathe :() but after a bit of works alls good. Also added 1.5mm ally welding rod to the machined grooves on the body and bellmouth stub to give the hose clips something to grip, these will we welded at the join and epoxy'ed in place.

I have however screwed up with the injector holes in the manifold plate, i drilled them before welding which has then warped throwing the end two injectors out by about .75mm which doesn't sound much but it does noticably lean the injector over at an angle, the moral of the story, drill after welding :(, new fuel rail blank being sought from Ross machine.

I have found a more reliable welder so hopefully get the bellmouths welded up this week and then i can get the back plate for the plenum drawn up and water jet cut

ebay 002.jpg

ebay 004.jpg

Edited by paul mac (see edit history)

Have you looked at the stuff Jenvey sell for doing these sort of projects Paul? It's looking good!

cheers Chris, i had looked at the Jenvey site but didn't look to hard as i was going to make everything myself, however there is some really usefull info on there

Its about time :D

Realy looking forward to seeing this done

:Popcorn:

:D

i am meeting my welder in the car park at his works tomorrow

• 4 weeks later...

Thought this was due an update, i have been busy buying stuff

including Ross Machine fuel rail, new Rochester 680cc injectors and connectors and all new needle bearings for the throttle linkages.

On to the pics, the throttle linkage has caused me no end of head scratching as i was adam ant i was keeping the cruise, i know this isn't hard core but its the one luxury i am not prepared to sacrifice, so after much thinking about how to replicate the stock set up with some trick ally bits i gave in as it was giving me a headache and hacked up an old throttle body, i have now finalised the brackets that will mount to the cam cover after about 5 goes and have some mdf mock ups made.

Pic 2, the bellmouths welded up sweet and just need a bit of cleaning up. I am really pleased with how these have turned out, they stand me at about £40 for the set of 6, when you start looking at off the shelf stuff you can pay this for each one :blink:

Pic 3, after having to chop up the shiny vacuum manifold as disapointingly Mr Toyota and Mr BMW decided to make their piston centres different :complain:, rather than do a cut and shut of all the bits you can see on the bench i made a complete new one from ally tube, my welder dude has done a cracking job and its dead straight.

Pic 4, shows the manifold in position under the bodies i need to get some ends made and sought out the IACV location, the tube used is slightly bigger than Mr BMW's version so will increase the volume of the manifold, i still hope to run a MAP sensor with this so was mindfull not to go to big on the manifold as i have read this can make the MAP sensor a bit sluggish to respond, if it is i will have to reduce the internal volume of the manifold.

itb 009.jpg

ebay 046.jpg

ebay 036.jpg

ebay 037.jpg

ebay 042.jpg

The furtive sounding assignation with your welder has paid off, your union has created a beautiful looking and unique offspring. May your relationship still remain as fruitful :)

we meet regularly now in his carpark :gayfight:, even to the point where the guy driving the forklift knows who i am and goes and fetchs my "man" :D