The mkiv Supra Owners Club

individual throttle bodies

paul mac

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;)

That Mig is a dangerous chap isn't he :) is this the same SMG that Jake mentioned?

didn't see that thread but yes that is essentialy the same SMG and yes the hydraulic packs do appear a tad unreliable, reading the BMW forums a possible cause is heat as they are mounted on the engine, this makes sense to me as working with hydraulics for 18 years in my previous employment one thing you learn early is cool hydraulics are happy hydraulics :D, get them hot and O rings get rock hard and fail, fluid cooks, etc, so a relocation away from the engine would be a definate and nearer the gearbox with shorter hydraulic lines would be advantageous, who knows if i actually go ahead with this i may even getter faster shifts than the M3 :D, when they work right the M3 SMG is probably the best automated manual you can get (faster shifts than Ferrari) so as a strictly auto driver it does appeal to me

Live dangerously Ian, live dangerously.....makes life interesting; plus it's nice to see fresh ideas being brought in ;)

I'm itching to see an SMG conversion being done, certainly be a 1st.

BTW Paul, I had a very interesting convo with my local tech at BMW today (I was going to PM you, but what the hell). He said after the initial failures of 1st gen E46 production cars were recalled, the level of SMG failures dropped significantly. He reckoned only about 7 or 8 of the 40+ SMG equipped cars they've sold had any major problems relating to the SMG. There might be something to that as the majority of M3's specced in the UK were SMG; although that does go against what the majority of the BMW forums report, but then when have you seen someone on a forum telling you their car is running fine?.

Now get er dun!

Edited by Miguel
Grammar (see edit history)

i would have loved to have done it with carbon/FRP and did consider this but i have seen things go kablamo at 1 bar pressure let alone 1.6 + that i plan on running and with the volume of air in the system there would be a lot of stored energy, i could easily do a pressure test at work but i just think there are to many variables that i cant replicate like the heat and the hydrocarbon exposure so i'm going for good old fashioned ally, and yes i do find it theraputic and used to do quite a bit of "tin bashing" in a former life :D, as for the design the pic is what i am aiming at and i have a home made flow rig under construction to make sure i get the flows balanced

Well if you are that keen on it i have enough of a supply of kevlar (fan blade containment type) hanging around that could go to a good home. Would have mentioned it earlier but i missed the thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
hows this coming

been absolutely bogged down with house modifications :( but funnily enough just got the bell mouth and stub pipes ready for the welder tonight, then i need to get cracking on the plenum, i will need to get a guy at work to do the cad drawing then get the ally water jet cut

This thread may be of some interest Paul, it's none turbo but I guess any thread for ITBs on a Supra will be up your street

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565448

nice one fella, the more research i have done on the ITB's the more i am amazed no one has done it on an NA, i guess the turbo option makes it to easy for those wanting more power, if i were doing it on an NA i would go wild and fit outboard injectors (F1 stylee) my only concern with the guy on SF would be the length of the runners if he isn't carefull he is going to be touching the suspension tower before he even thinks about an air filter

Question ~ does anyone have experience of lengthening/chopping the engine loom, the TPS is fine as i need to make that a bit shorter but would any of the other sensors get upset if i chopped and lengthened the wiring

id love to go nuts on my NA but its all down to funding at the minute.... Ive got aslong as i want to work on her now the winter seasons coming.

What sort of costs and work be needed for all the custom work paul?

on an NA considerably less as you could just put filters on the bodies and dont need a plenum (unless you went for the outboard injectors :eyebrows:)

Question ~ does anyone have experience of lengthening/chopping the engine loom, the TPS is fine as i need to make that a bit shorter but would any of the other sensors get upset if i chopped and lengthened the wiring

In a word, no. Only thing to watch out for is shielded sensors, like crank and cam position sensors, ABS sensors. Can't just replace them with boggo wires, but cutting and shortening is fine.

-Ian

In a word, no. Only thing to watch out for is shielded sensors, like crank and cam position sensors, ABS sensors. Can't just replace them with boggo wires, but cutting and shortening is fine.

-Ian

great info Ian, i had only seen the TPS was shielded i didn't realise some of the other sensors were, so if wanted to lengthen them it would be a case of a new cable from the sensor all the way back to the ecu :(

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
:bump: :D

It's now too hot / wet / ????? :)

sorry boys without going into to much detail i have been going through a rather sticky patch in my life, i didn't honestly know whether i was keeping the car or not and completely lost interest, however things look back on track so the car is staying, i need to sought all the suspension before i finish the throttle bodies as i dont want to wreck my new tyres with naff alignment, so watch this space, i haven't spent all this time and money on the throttles to just abandon them

i haven't spent all this time and money on the throttles to just abandon them

Good thing aswel as im waiting for you to finish this so i know where to take mine to :D

Hope things are getting better for you mate :)