The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra + puddle = wall

buster

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F@cking hell !!! i hate when roads speeding and put peoples lifes and "toys" in risk ! so sorry to hear and see Your car in that -shape- as it is now! BAD LUCK -that's it! i'm so sorry about Your Supe i can't be even close to know what You feel i could just a bit imagine ... so sorry to write "Happy" Birthday ... x

Thats a big accident mate glad you are in one piece!!

Could easlily have been me on Monday night..!! I was shifting along the M61 when I hit a sudden patch of snow on the motorway.

It had been raining in Manchester but had been snowing in Bolton. The sudden difference in road surface was quite surprising. The car was all over the place but I managed to rescue it in time..!!:blink:

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)

That is a big impact.

Glad you walked away.

The main problem with wide tyres on standing water is that the pressure wave created when hitting the water can easily be enough to lift the tyre from the road.

The problem only gets worse the wider tyre you go.

Many of us have hit standing water before... most of us are going in a straight line beforehand and are still pointing straight on the other side.... it is just one of those unlucky cases if you hit standing water on a bend.

I have 17/265/40 on mine (eagle F1's) and was contemplating going wider and maybe up to 18's. The thing is, alot of people that go wider say that although traction is improved, when it's wet it's like being on water-ski's. Just wondered before I went down that route. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

ive got eagle F1s on 18 (275 rears) and have driven through what looked like rivers and so far haven't had issues. I think the Eagle F1s are particularly good and dispersing water effectively.

imi

I think the Eagle F1s are particularly good and dispersing water effectively.

imi

They are !

The GSD3 tread pattern was heavily designed for aquaplaning resistence... the v-tread cuts into the pressure wave formed when entering standing water. Hence the high angle of the v-tread as it makes contact with the road.

The new F1 asymetrics also have a good design and it works in a different way.