The mkiv Supra Owners Club

csa's engine rebuild

csa

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it was new, that's why I find it so incredible that it's gone so badly wrong so fast. oil has been changed more than regularly and always warmed and cooled by the books

As has been said by some maybe a seasoned block is the way for single turbo Supra's, as you i am religious with oil changes and warm ups:search:

I'd bin the lot and find another engine, looks an expensive disaster area to me :(

Luckily I do have another engine to use. That one also has a spun bearing, but I'm hoping it's in better condition. If not, I'm going for a new block

I'd stay clear of applying those power levels onto a new engine. It takes time for an engine to reach it's peak strength so I'd be far more tempted to go for a good low mileage second hand unit. I know people will disagree but I see it as a more extreme running in process.

I can confirm as well that it was a new block when it went in as by pure coincidence I saw Turbofit do the first start-up.

That said, they did forget to put a plug in the side of the block so when they started it up for the first time, it pissed a large quantity of oil onto the floor. I don't think it would have been enough to be the trigger for this amount of disaster, but to be honest, who knows.

Cant you find a 2nd hand healthy block? Save's buying new

if the mains has gone on the other one as well. I will be looking for a healty used one. but they are not easy to come by here, and therefore expensieve.

Might even be worth looking to get one shipped from UK

btw...is the NA block the same as the tt?

if the mains has gone on the other one as well. I will be looking for a healty used one. but they are not easy to come by here, and therefore expensieve.

Might even be worth looking to get one shipped from UK

btw...is the NA block the same as the tt?

Steve Manley shipped my new block from Belgium to me in 3 days as he had none in stock in the UK, he is your man for a new block IMO, regardless of your EU location

Actually, there's quite a weight difference between the blocks, the TT one I weighed against 2 N/A blocks was quite a bit heavier, suggesting more meat in some areas of the casting itself. Fitting squirters would be quite expensive, and only really justifiable if you were unable to get a TT block for whatever reason.