The mkiv Supra Owners Club

csa's engine rebuild

csa

First of all, massive thanks to Ryan for a world class job yesterday.

Day started out fine and I picked up Ryan from the airport and we went straight home and started to sort the wiring for High/low boost switch, launch control switch, NOS switches, NOS solenoids, bottle warmer and boost solenoid.

With that done we moved on to do the cold start which has always been crap on that car. took about 10 mins and it was bang on.

After some lunch we headed out to do some mapping on the road. All went fine until the car suddenly stalled after a high rev run. Disaster I thought! but luckily it was only a sensor plug that had come off, so we were quickly on the road again.

We headed towards the dyno shop doing more mapping and Ryan started to see fuel problems in the high revs once we got more boost. Ryan was certain it was a fuel pump issue as Injectors ect looked all good. More trouble I thought! so we went back to the dyno shop and found that the wiring of the pumps was all but good. So we redid all the wiring with a relay and a fuse, but still no luck. It could only be an "in tank" issue then. After much (MUCH) struggle we got the hangar up and immediately spotted the problem:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9803/dsc00352r.jpg

There was a crack in one of the hoses...no wonder considering that Turbofit(presumably?) had used regular samco hose instead of real fuel hose!!!

The Y piece was replaced with a larger bore metal one, and the hoses was replaced too. Everything went back together but time was getting critical, so started to rig the car on the dyno...efter 30mins hard work we find out that the dyno couldn't see the rear rollers. we had about 1½ hours until Ryan should be back in the airport so we quickly rushed the car off the dyno to get on the road to remap as the fueling had changed with the correct pump setup. The second we drive onto the road it starts raining...disaster! Luckily we able to outrun the rain moving eastbound, and we then had a good 30 mins of dry road to correct the fuel curve again.

A very long day with lots of up’s and down’s ended at McD’s with 2 very tired and sweaty blokes (no aircon JAMIE!! :) ) almost asleep on the spot (hope you had a safe trip home Ryan.)

Nos mapped for spool and a race fuel map will be next time 

Edited by csa (see edit history)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha you just beat me to it there :D

Pic and more details in my writeup if anyone's interested

Was an interesting day... All i can say is it was a damn long day. Left Oxford at 3.30am and got home today at 2am. :blink:

Day started well with sorting all the electrics on the car and starting a fresh map to sort starting issues etc.

Then decided it was time to head over to the dyno and started road mapping. Got to 1bar and it was going nicely. So turned up the boost abit more only to find we were having fuel flow issues. Injector duty was low at 60% so wasn't a small injector issue this was more fuel pressure related.

When we got to the dyno i started looking at the fuel pump install and firstly saw the wires were way to small and the 12v feed was not fused. So added a relay into the works and a fused live from the battery and i was happy. In the back of my mind there was still a pump down though so decided that we should take out the hanger and flow test the pumps.... Upon removing the hanger i saw something which was out of this world.

Good old Turbofit had used silicon hose instead of fuel hose and surprise suprise the fuel had eaten through it and was causing fuel to spray all over the wiring!!!. In a not sealed tank this could have been extremely dangerous.

After fixing we managed to get the boost up to 1.6bar and it was a flying machine. Couldn't get a dyno run though due to issues with speed sensors on the dyno :(

I really feel for anyone who has been abused by TF.

turbofit, lol.......... we kept telling u to remove that sticker on the window.

i remember the 1st and only time i used turbofit to fit an exhaust.

parts were missing, and welded a bracket off the subframe of my car,

better to find that fuel problem now then later, well done ryan

turbofit, lol.......... we kept telling u to remove that sticker on the window.

i remember the 1st and only time i used turbofit to fit an exhaust.

parts were missing, and welded a bracket off the subframe of my car,

better to find that fuel problem now then later, well done ryan

That sticker is looooong gone :p

Fueling on the car should be ace now, as I also fitted a new Sard topmodel FPR the day before ryan came. Had to modify it a bit to adapt it to the existing fuelline fittings:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4337/dsc00346t.jpg

but it came togheter Nicely in the end:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9893/dsc00350c.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just had a blimp at this thread as someone used it to hi-lite work they want doing to their car, a lot of nice work going on:cool: Just one Q, you do not need the roll cage to pass any sort of tech inspection do you???? I am pressuming its a show type cage as its all wrong for roll over protection etc.