The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Someone is going to pay!!!

supraspeed

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week just gets worse and worse.

Sun: Pay £3500 bill to bodyshop- find out i need new petrol and gearbox sender unit.

Mon: Gearbox blows up.

Tuesday: get drenched at work all day and mate chips new paintwork.

Wednesday: Gearbox place claims no responsability for anything, new seals on MR2 fail to keep water out...

5 mins ago: break up with girlfriend.

I don't like where this weeks going....

At the end of the day mate its just "stuff" Keep plugging away. it will come good :)

just had another conversation (well my dad spoke to the guy in charge) of the gearbox people and now get this:

They think they might have repaired my old gearbox (out of a hilux or something) and not put in the new one at all!!! reason being they couldn't get some parts or something!!! If this turns out to be true then they are in serious trouble! not only they charge me a fortune, they take six months doing it, and charge me for something that doesn't exist!!! If they repaired the old gearbox no wonder it went within 100 miles. The problem is now that i can't afford a 6 speed box (and its impossible to get one) and ive been told on ere the car wont take a 5-SPEED box on a single.

Its just gets worse and worse :(

Whoah tiger!!!!

You want your Supra forted now, and it looks like you're going to rush into another ill advised decision.

You need to spend a bit of time researching what you're trying to do before jumping straight in, splurging all your money on companies that are ill equiped to do the job and then having to spend out your money again to try to fix their inevitable feck ups.

I'm amazed how someone can spend what they consider to be a large amount of money without doing any research. You don't even know what the spec of the car is??? How can you try to even start to decide what spec the supporting modifications need to be?

How did you manage to pick A1 transmissions? Was it because they're near the front of the phone book? How much research into the company did you do?

It's not a question of being more or less technical minded. You're modifying a car, it's a technical thing to do. If you're not willing to learn how to do it properly then don't do it, or do it but don't complain about it all going wrong.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the reality of the situation. I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your tale of woe, but you need to spend more than 30 seconds thinking about what you're doing before commiting large sums of money.

First off I'd concentrate on getting your money back from this place! They have blatantly messed you around and charged you for work they have not done and parts they have not used. Citizen's Advice Beurou will give you a lot of help, as will trading standards.

After a load of being messed around and stress from Arnold Clarke when my gf bought a car off them (which was an over priced shed with none of the repairs or work done on it which was promised before collection of the car) we were advised to write a letter to them. That'd be your first job. Write a letter explaining the situation, what you asked to be done, what was actually done, how long it took, the quality of the work (and safety!) and the cost of it. Also mention the inconvenience this has caused to you financially as well as day to day life. And throw in word of the Trading Standards act and that you want them to repair all faults on the car to a reasonable standard (tell them what standard you expect) then you want a full (or at least partial) refund of your money. If they fail to either repair your car to a reasonable standard, or refuse to, and refuse to give you any refund, then you'll get further advice and take them to court.

Official and scary letters like that often put the fear of God into businesses and you get results. Definately seek legal advice though.

Ok.... spoke to them and they couldn't get the "new gearbox to fit" but now they have changed there minds about my old one and said it IS for the car....not a hilux- so they said they had replaced all the parts with genuine Toyota parts on the original 5-speed but its blown up anyway and they said i could bring it in and they will fix it as apparantly it could be anything? so to sum it up... they lied and told me they had replaced my original 5-speed when they fixed my old one instead- but apparantly it is the original for an N/A- mines a n/a-single

now its all well and good saying they will fix my gearbox but will it take the power (approx 450bhp)???? cos i dont want it blowing after 2 minutes and i dont see the point of driving like a grandad everywhere if thats the case? get a 6 speed??? cos i dont have a lot of money but is keeping the 5 speed worth it?

can you get 6-speeds from toyota? also does anyone know where else i can find one? i just missed the bidding for one on flee bay. Also someone mentioned putting in an auto box but wont that require loads of work and still wont be able to take the power? i just dont want to wreck the 5-speed within weeks

Speak to Jezzy about getting a salvaged 6 speed box and bits then ask/beg DSA to fit it all (££££'s loads)

Iirc Tlicence made a parts guide in Tech, so if Jezzy doesn't have allthe bis you can either ask Steve Manley at Oxford Toyota for the parts or trawl supraforums for them.

Supraspeed if you do just one thing here, please do not take your car back to the people that "changed" your gearbox. No matter what! They have lied to you and completely messed you about.

As I think someone has said... get some advice and take them to court or at least threaten to! You want every penny spent with them back plus some extra for the problems they've caused!

The Supra can wait to be fixed, you could always buy a complete banger (other than the supe :innocent:) to use every day.

Ok. the gearbox place are going to pay for the box to be repaired. i fear that when i was in that crash 6 months ago it might have damaged something as the box shouldnt go after 100 miles- either way they are doingit for free so "yay!" to that at least. i'm just gonna drive the supe without boosting it everywhere (boost comes in at 4-5k revs so well enough time to change up without spooling it. gonna have to sit down and see if i can do anything about it as i cant afford a 6 speed, the conversion parts and the fitting. i'm just sick to death of spending so much money on it and i'm thinking of selling once i find out the actual spec- apart from the unknown turbo, everything else on the car is HKS and Blitz so not exactly budget parts. just got to the point its too much hassle. real shame cos love the appearence of it now :(