The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Someone is going to pay!!!

supraspeed

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well either way i get a warranty on the box so no matter if it goes again they have to sort it out :)

I admire your apparently endless optimism!

These monkeys have either fed you a complete pack of lies, or they don't know their arses from their elbows. (Pardon my french).

Yet you are still willing to take the car back to them???

Some people eh? :rolleyes:

I admire your apparently endless optimism!

These monkeys have either fed you a complete pack of lies, or they don't know their arses from their elbows. (Pardon my french).

Yet you are still willing to take the car back to them???

Some people eh? :rolleyes:

well if there doing it for free with a warranty then its really my only option as i'm skint. these lot have a very good reputation and the guy who owns it was very addament to protect that image so i think they arnt goin to be messin me around any more. just have to drive it carefully in the time being.

Edited by supraspeed
? (see edit history)

Did you speak to someone high up? Or another spanner monkey? I'd push to speak to the manager or something, as he's in charge and actually has the power to get stuff done! Failing that I'd go higher than him until I was satisfied that someone would be in the shit if things didn't get dealt with properly.

After an accident a while ago, my old Civic was taken to be repaired at the insurence's specified garage. It was mid december and obviously all the workers in the garage could think about was how long until the got to go home and how quick they could get the work done. When my car was dropped off at my house it was in the early evening and was already dark, but from what I could see it looked ok. The following morning I went to check out the car properly and it was a disgrace! The paint wasn't propely matched/blended, it needed a new wing mirror and the underside of it wasn't even pained! There were still a few dings in the bodywork, the rear wheel was still wonky (it had hit the curb, and needed new suspension parts) and a few other small imperfections which I can't think of at this moment in time. I rang up the garage and was told that the dings they hadn't removed were parking dints and not related ot the accident (how the HELL do they know where each dent or ding comes from?! There were NO dings on my car before the accident!) and they had repaired the car to a good enough standard, which was bullcrap! So I rang up my insurance company and complained to them, who then must have got in touch with the garage and spoken to the manager there, who then phoned me back and told me to bring the car down for him to look at. I took the car down and pointed out the poor repair work to him. He agreed it was a shoddy job and was annoyed about it (he oviously got it in the neck off the insurance company) and took the car back off me and promised it would be repaired properly and the workers would not get to go early for Christmas after he had dished out his anger on them! Needless to say the car was returned a couple of days later looking a hell of a lot better!! :D

You just need to speak to the right person with an aurthoritive tone and strong argument. Remember, they're in the wrong, and you're a paying customer. Get the service you expect!!

well if there doing it for free with a warranty then its really my only option as i'm skint. these lot have a very good reputation and the guy who owns it was very addament to protect that image so i think they arnt goin to be messin me around any more. just have to drive it carefully in the time being.

If their reputation was that good this thread woudn't exist.

well it was the manager who my dad spoke to so he is now in charge of the car. he basically told the others what to do and they didn't do it. so he's annoyed cos its his employees who have messed up. i'm bit pissed off cos i wouldn't have spent so much if i thought i'd be selling it. i'm no i'm going to loose loads unless i just chuck it on ebay and hope some chav will see the "Supra, Orange,Turbo, 450+hp and snap it up for an obscene unrealistic amount of cash on impulse lol. Or possibly someone could use it as a project if they can get a 6 speed.

Sorry to hear about this, I've had a similar experience before in the past, when i was 17 and knew nothing about what i was doing... and it is very frustrating.

The w58 gearbox is going to die on you again if you get it repaired FACT, and i believe the w56 box's were used in hilux's (which from what i gathered was fitted,) which is essentially the same as the w58 except for different ratios as the hilux is big ol' truck, so it's an even worse alternative to the w58.

Ratios for w56:

* First Gear: 3.954:1

* Second Gear: 2.141:1

* Third Gear: 1.384:1

* Fourth Gear: 1.00:1

* Fifth Gear: 0.85:1

Ratios for w58:

* First Gear: 3.285:1

* Second Gear: 1.894:1

* Third Gear: 1.275:1

* Fifth Gear: 0.783:1

I'm running 400bhp through mine but it is the torque that kills it and i imagine you are running far more torque though that single set up than stock twins...I've always said that if my gearbox dies i probably won't replace it with a 6 spd as they are hard to find and usually pretty expensive. The next best alternative is the r154 gearbox from the mk3 supra turbo and the lexus soarer. If you get one from a lexus it will bolt straight up to the 2jz supra block, the mk3 supra ones involve a little modification. But all can be done for no more than £600/700 (possibly allot less if you can grab a bargain off ebay) and this box is good for around 600bhp so i've heard.

Check these links

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61/gearboxes2.html

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=148326&highlight=r154

Edited by miko_supra (see edit history)

Sorry to hear about this, I've had a similar experience before in the past, when i was 17 and knew nothing about what i was doing... and it is very frustrating.

The w58 gearbox is going to die on you again if you get it repaired FACT, and i believe the w56 box's were used in hilux's (which from what i gathered was fitted,) which is essentially the same as the w58 except for different ratios as the hilux is big ol' truck, so it's an even worse alternative to the w58.

Ratios for w56:

* First Gear: 3.954:1

* Second Gear: 2.141:1

* Third Gear: 1.384:1

* Fifth Gear: 0.85:1

Ratios for w58:

* First Gear: 3.285:1

* Second Gear: 1.894:1

* Third Gear: 1.275:1

* Fifth Gear: 0.783:1

I'm running 400bhp through mine but it is the torque that kills it and i imagine you are running far more torque though that single set up than stock twins...I've always said that if my gearbox dies i probably won't replace it with a 6 spd as they are hard to find and usually pretty expensive. The next best alternative is the r154 gearbox from the mk3 supra turbo and the lexus soarer. If you get one from a lexus it will bolt straight up to the 2jz supra block, the mk3 supra ones involve a little modification. But all can be done for no more than £600/700 (possibly allot less if you can grab a bargain off ebay) and this box is good for around 600bhp so i've heard.

Check these links

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61/gearboxes2.html

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=148326&highlight=r154

cheers. sorry but which box will take 600bhp? lexus or mk3 supe?

Well, it's not your only option. Didn't you say you'd been charged loads of money for a different box, yet what they've actually done is repaired your old one? Surely then you've been overcharged quite a bit? Perhaps you should ask for a part refund in addition to them having another go at fixing it? I had a problem like this with a garage once and it was amazing how forthcoming they became when threatened with court action.

Good luck with whatever action you decide to take. It seems to me you're owed at least a little luck. :(

Well, it's not your only option. Didn't you say you'd been charged loads of money for a different box, yet what they've actually done is repaired your old one? Surely then you've been overcharged quite a bit? Perhaps you should ask for a part refund in addition to them having another go at fixing it? I had a problem like this with a garage once and it was amazing how forthcoming they became when threatened with court action.

Good luck with whatever action you decide to take. It seems to me you're owed at least a little luck. :(

well they said it cost £1200 for just the gearbox internal parts all genuine from toyota which is believable. just wondering if my car will be ok to drive (without spooling the turbo up) everyday as its originally for a n/a. problem is will it break again through normal motorway driving at say 5-5500 rpm as the turbo spools at around 4500 rpm. or is it just if i boost it everywhere. i just want to know whats safe for the box until i no what to do with the car

Learn some paitence dude. Time flies. You're making this more stressful and expensive than it needs to be! I'd concentrate on using the advice you've been given to get your money back first! Then you can locate a better garage that will actually fix your car to the standard it should be and give THEM the money! Yeh, you'll be without your Supe for a short while, but if you have it repaired with this garage again, the gearbox will die again, and then you'll just keep taking it back over and over again being fobbed off each and everytime! And everytime you dive it you'll be worried about what will break next, how long it'll hold up, can you boot it without it blowing up, etc. You'll never be completely happy with the car and you'll never enjoy it like you should.

Plan:

STOP!

Get your money back.

Locate a reputable garage (I'm sure you'll find an abundance on this forum!)

Let them fix your car.

Get your car back and dive it like it should be without fear of it dying!

C'mon dude, see sense.