The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Someone is going to pay!!!

supraspeed

True maybe 300 was a little too low but 500 is a no no

Correct, 500bhp usually equates to 400 - 500 lbft torques, which would destroy the W58. Our first ever TT conversion customer however, has covered 15k miles in just over 18 months on his W58, and he's hybrids at 450bhp odd (RPS 6 puck clutch), still going strong. I guess its all about the driver. :D Stock/BPU TT on the W58 is fine, but single turbo's ect, i'd recommend selling an arm to fund a V160.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I read correctly that its not a box from a Supra?

You dont know what box it is, you dont know what clutch it and you dont know what flywheel it has :search:

Surely these things should be clear before you buy them.

i let them sort these things out in confidence they new what they were doing. all i no the box is a Getrag 5spd. the clutch is twinplate- flywheel was unchanged i think- can't remember. i no i look like a bit of a tit but they were very convinced that they knew what they were doing as i pestered them all the time to get it sorted out. i told them i needed an upgraded clutch for at least 500bhp and a 6spd or the equivelent to (i didn't know much about the supra at this point in terms of gearboxes) anyway i'm sure they will give me a reasonble explanation in the morning...

i let them sort these things out in confidence they new what they were doing. all i no the box is a Getrag 5spd. the clutch is twinplate- flywheel was unchanged i think- can't remember. i no i look like a bit of a tit but they were very convinced that they knew what they were doing as i pestered them all the time to get it sorted out. i told them i needed an upgraded clutch for at least 500bhp and a 6spd or the equivelent to (i didn't know much about the supra at this point in terms of gearboxes) anyway i'm sure they will give me a reasonble explanation in the morning...

To be fair, it is fairly easy for a few us to say 'You fitted what gearbox??' and all that, however if not everyone is at the same technical level and would have to go on what the garage said. In which case I would get onto them and ask them why they selected that particular gearbox based upon the power levels.

all i no the box is a Getrag 5spd. ...

Which to be frank is pretty meaningless.

Getrag make hundreds of different 5 speed boxes for different manufactorers, just a few highlights:

BMW 1 series

Jaguar S type

Opel Manta & Monza

BMW 3 series (from 1984 E30 to current E90)

BMW 5 series (1988 E34)

Most Mercedes (plenty of diesels)

As a company they supply boxes to Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, BMW, VAG, Fiat & Alfa, Porsche.

Basicaly they have around a 30% market share.

Guest Nicholas

I know this is a bit late but why on earth didn't you ask for advice on here?!!??!!

and if you get any money back I know of a decent 2nd hand 6 speed box possibly availiable and someone in the know that can fit it.

just had the car looked at by my mechanics at work and they say its lost 3rd and 4th gear. then i hear my mate has accidently reversed into the back quarter of my car!!! only a small chip below the rear light and some slight cracking of paint on the bumper. at which point i was so angry i might have thrown my phone at my mates head...

anyway ive managed to get the peoples number to give them an absoulute grilling but just didnt have time today so i'l try and work out some plan to get a free 6 speed box off them...or cash or something

just had the car looked at by my mechanics at work and they say its lost 3rd and 4th gear. then i hear my mate has accidently reversed into the back quarter of my car!!! only a small chip below the rear light and some slight cracking of paint on the bumper. at which point i was so angry i might have thrown my phone at my mates head...

anyway ive managed to get the peoples number to give them an absoulute grilling but just didnt have time today so i'l try and work out some plan to get a free 6 speed box off them...or cash or something

Oh crap mate its just not your week is it! I take it your mate is going to be paying a sum of money your way! Hope it gets sorted out! I do hate it when garages do things like this, I may be in a simular boat.

Oh crap mate its just not your week is it! I take it your mate is going to be paying a sum of money your way! Hope it gets sorted out! I do hate it when garages do things like this, I may be in a simular boat.

not likely- hes always skint and owes everyone cash so i'l get back to him once the box is sorted. i just can't believe its been off the road for a year and now this- no luck with anything :(

Broke NA-t wont be worth much, post up the spec and ill give my thoughts.

yeah...but what a project. lol

this is the problem...i don't know the spec as ive never had it inspected...never had it long enough to do so. if i sell i'l try and get as much info as i can but in the meantime i'm a bit stuck

Edited by supraspeed
? (see edit history)

yeah...but what a project. lol

this is the problem...i don't know the spec as ive never had it inspected...never had it long enough to do so. if i sell i'l try and get as much info as i can but in the meantime i'm a bit stuck

Not much then, probably xs-power kit, needs new box/clutch, damaged paintwork, £1000 maybe.

sorry to hear of your trouble, ive had a1 build alot of gearboxes for us at my work with hardly no probs but they did re-build a 200sx gearbox for us which is a bit noisy (still works fine tho lol)

Phoned them up this morning and they said:

"they are not responsible of the way i drive"

"the car is not stock power so expect the gearbox not to last"

"they cannot ensure the gearbox is for the correct vehicle as they have loads lying around"

"its been 7 months since it was fitted so they might not find my records"

"we are not a tuning company so i shouldn't have left it up to them"

i responded:

" i told you lot what the power was"

" you assured me the gearbox could take the power-even running at 450-500bhp"

"i said get a 6 speed Getrag for the SUPRA or something of the same power hold"

" yes you are responsible for it blowing up after 100 miles"

" i was involved with you every step of the way during the 5 months at your place"

Then they said they would try and get hold of me soon to explain themselves

Still not heard anything all day and the guy on the phone didn't wanna know.

Ive got a feeling i'm not going to gain anything from them and i cannot afford a Getrag 6 speed at the moment. i feel like i'm gonna loose thousands however this turns out

Phoned them up this morning and they said:

"they are not responsible of the way i drive"

"the car is not stock power so expect the gearbox not to last"

"they cannot ensure the gearbox is for the correct vehicle as they have loads lying around"

"its been 7 months since it was fitted so they might not find my records"

"we are not a tuning company so i shouldn't have left it up to them"

i responded:

" i told you lot what the power was"

" you assured me the gearbox could take the power-even running at 450-500bhp"

"i said get a 6 speed Getrag for the SUPRA or something of the same power hold"

" yes you are responsible for it blowing up after 100 miles"

" i was involved with you every step of the way during the 5 months at your place"

Then they said they would try and get hold of me soon to explain themselves

Still not heard anything all day and the guy on the phone didn't wanna know.

Ive got a feeling i'm not going to gain anything from them and i cannot afford a Getrag 6 speed at the moment. i feel like i'm gonna loose thousands however this turns out

Cival Advice Buro (however its spelt) or trading standards. At the end of the day the product is not fit for purpose.

This week just gets worse and worse.

Sun: Pay £3500 bill to bodyshop- find out i need new petrol and gearbox sender unit.

Mon: Gearbox blows up.

Tuesday: get drenched at work all day and mate chips new paintwork.

Wednesday: Gearbox place claims no responsability for anything, new seals on MR2 fail to keep water out...

5 mins ago: break up with girlfriend.

I don't like where this weeks going....

This week just gets worse and worse.

Sun: Pay £3500 bill to bodyshop- find out i need new petrol and gearbox sender unit.

Mon: Gearbox blows up.

Tuesday: get drenched at work all day and mate chips new paintwork.

Wednesday: Gearbox place claims no responsability for anything, new seals on MR2 fail to keep water out...

5 mins ago: break up with girlfriend.

I don't like where this weeks going....

Sounds like a Craid David tune.