The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Rebuild by DaveSupTT

DaveSupTT

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Wilson has been working with my engine, and below is an update on the project.

* Wiseco Pistons are ordered and being sent to Chris.

* The engine is bored and honed, Wiseco supply those pistons for a specific bore size

* With Chris already are bearings and gasket sets and a set of new head bolts

* On order with Chris are;

A new Water pump

Set of ARP Rod bolts

A new Crank pulley with a new washer and bolt. The crank itself polished up fine and is away for balancing, the pulley being sent to the balancer today.

Chris has had the block surface ground, as it was a bit out, so that'll be the block work finished.

I get asked this so many times and it's plain impossible to answer. We are talking engines of about 15 years of age, some have had serious trauma, others poor servicimg, and some have done far more miles than the owner may think. Each one is totally individual, with its individual problems. Some are so bad it pays to bin them and fine another core engine. If you bring me an engine, out of the car, you could be talking anything from 2500 to 6000 for a proper rebuild. Mods could add to this depending on level, and what parts are used. A new short motor from Toyota is sometimes cheaper than messing with a worn bottom end. I'd suggest ARP rod bolts in one, and a check on bearing clearances. If it arrives full of sand and sawdust on a pallet, then it needs stripping and starting again...

Okay then guys, I know a few people have asked me how much I have spent so here are a few figures to get your teeth into.

Purchased from Flatlander Racing (http://www.flatlander-ipp.co.uk/index.html)

Wisco Pistons and Rings - £454.67 inc delivery

Work Carried out by Chris Wilson up to date:

Skim head and check for warpage on cam journals £58.00

Skim block and check mains for straightness and parallesism £68.00

Head gasket set £310.70

Conversion gasket set £51.75

Big End bearing set £64.53

Main bearing set £138.41

Thrust bearing set £29.44

Water pump assembly £96.32

Oil pump assembly £138.97

Crankshaft damper £248.00

Bore and hone block £120.00

Check crank for straightness and size and micro polish £50.00

Balance rotating and reciprocating parts £180.00

On top of all the above I have had to purchase tools and accessories to assist me in dismantling everything, prior to taking the parts down to Chris.

Also not forgetting things like Engine Crane hire as well which was approx £40 inc delivery, and the Engine Stand I purchased which was £56.39

Further work to be carried out by Chris Wilson is as follows

Rebuild head, with good used cams, re shimmed and with new stem seals fitted and seats re ground £400.00 This assumes no valves or guides need replacing (unlikely, but possible).

To assemble short motor labour and sundries £300

To fit head to short motor and set cam belt up and fit water pump £150

And yet more stuff to purchase

Once all this is done other things I need to replace/add/fix are:

New Apexi Air Filter as current one has oil in it from when the last turbos leaked.

I need a new set of tyres all round!

I would like to have fitted a Fuel/Air ratio guage and

I would like to get my current EGT guage fixed, as it doesnt work at the moment!

I think I may need a new smaller restrictor ring

I really am praying that NOTHING at all goes wrong/needs replacing! :(

Edited by DaveSupTT (see edit history)

Plus a set of ARP rod bolts and a set of core plugs, still to arrive. Mr T seems to be having a bit of brain fade with core plugs.... :) The block's been cleaned today, with the head, after removing any burrs from machining work. All oil ways steamed out and plugs refitted after a high temp drying. the head which was "fully rebuilt" has never been apart. Stock rock hard valve stem seals, some guide wear, and none of the valves have been lapped (may need some new exhaust valves, three or four seats are pretty shot...) The excess cam bearing journal wear is due to dirt in the oil. The cam bearings on the cam itself are well under size. I have found a pair of perfect used cams to fit instead. I'll try and post a few pics this week.

the head which was "fully rebuilt" has never been apart.

That worries me a lot, since these are the pictures that were taken when I took the car in...

http://maxgt.just2good.co.uk/dash.php

http://maxgt.just2good.co.uk/dash2.php

The pictures in the first page I saw with my own eyes, though I can only assume that the pictures on the second page came from my car. I know he wasn't working on any others at the time.

The cams may have been out (the cams and the cam journals in the head are badly scored), but no way has it had stem seals and I need to liner 3 or 4 guides and change 3 exhaust valves. However, I am not willing to get into any discourse about it, I had to mention it to justify WHY I need to do this work on the head. I have never openly commented on that companies work and feel there's no need to now ;)