The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Rebuild by DaveSupTT

DaveSupTT

How much do they bore it out by, and what size are the after market pistons?

Most are either 86.5mm (i.e. 0.5mm overbore) or 87mm (1mm over). The exact size you bore to depends on the actual pistons - you measure each piston and bore & hone to achieve the correct clearance, which varies with each piston manufacturer.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most are either 86.5mm (i.e. 0.5mm overbore) or 87mm (1mm over). The exact size you bore to depends on the actual pistons - you measure each piston and bore & hone to achieve the correct clearance, which varies with each piston manufacturer.

:yeahthat: I'm using Wiseco pistons 87mm and the machine place I'm using wants to have the pistons and manufacturing spec before they will do any boring.

:yeahthat: I'm using Wiseco pistons 87mm and the machine place I'm using wants to have the pistons and manufacturing spec before they will do any boring.

Quite right, too, unless the bores are terrible you should be able to use 86.5 to clean them up, then the block's fit for another bore if anything nasty happens down the road, or you put 300,000 miles on it :)

Still after answers to the following if anyone can help :)

1) Does anyone know where I can get various bolts to replace either missing or damaged ones. They are all metric fine (1mm, 1.25mm or 1.5mm pitch) and I cannot find anywhere that stocks them.

2) The engine sump was sealed with flange sealant rather than a gasket. I have some Loctite 5920 premium Gasket Silicone, will this be okay?

3) Chris, Do you do rebores, and also, Rob Wild, where are you getting yours done?

Cheers guys

Use the proper Toyota or Nissan sealant. Toyota is some loctite number, it's grey. You need to get the bolts you require from Nissan, many will have small hex sizes for their thread size, or be shouldered bolts, not set screws, and plated.

I can get any machining done, I use a superb machine shop that understands my needs and uses equipment that is modern, maintained and not 8uggered. Can get anything balanced properly too, including none even fire V6's, V8, V10, V12 and five pot lumps.

You need to get the bolts you require from Nissan, many will have small hex sizes for their thread size, or be shouldered bolts, not set screws, and plated.

I hope you mean Toyota! ;) Loctite 5910 is what I used for the sump, (5900 is the same but cures faster so you don't have as much time to work with it). That's what lots of OEMs use when assembling engines, I know Ford do. The Toyota stuff is probably the same, but it's much more expensive.

Cheers for the info again.

Just after opinions, what is the main difference between Wiseco and CP pistons. Some traders are saying CP are one of the best on the market and are similar price to Wiseco ones. Chris, why is it you dont like them. What are the pros or cons for both if any.

Has anyone else had experience with either?

Still after answers to the following if anyone can help :)

3) Chris, Do you do rebores, and also, Rob Wild, where are you getting yours done?

Cheers guys

Hi Dave sorry for delay been working :innocent: I know the guy that is doing my machine work is top notch but is really really busy as he's got a few skyline engines in. If Chris doesn't sort you out I'll give him a ring for you :)

Just thought id put a pic up of my cracked rings! As you can see, one had broken into 8 pieces. :taped:

I have decided to replace my pistons for 86.5mm Wiseco ones after Chris's recommendation! I will be taking my block down to him (when, I am not 100% sure yet) and he’s going to get it rebored etc for me.

So slowly, im getting my engine moving towards the light.

Just wondered, has anyone heard of the make TOGA? (relating to HP main bearings and rods?)

I found this site (http://www.flatlander-ipp.co.uk/hpkits/pek-toyota.shtml) which I can get my Pistons and piston rings for £372 which is a bargain I have been told.

However, searching their site I came across Engine Kits that they do.

If you scroll down to number 19 on the link above, you will see that it includes a fair few items, including the pistons im after.

The only thing is I have not heard of the make TOGA. Has anyone else? Are they good?

Would you say that everything in their build list I should be looking at replacing? If so, is this a good price?

Guidance needed please?

Also what are Moly pins and wrist pins?

Thanks for reading

Regards

Dave

DSCF0127.jpg

Just for anyone else that may be intrested in using this supplier.

I contacted them regarding the price, delivery etc, for just the pistons (priced at £372)and the price is correct but it needs VAT adding to that and postage of £14.99.

They are also out of stock at the moment and they aim to deliver within 10-14 days.

Does anyone have any info for me on the above post?

Dave

Wrist pins are the connecting section of the rod and piston joint. Ive personally not come across TOGA but when the importance of engine strength is at stake Id buy the best, even if it means buying individually. Then again they need an opinion so someone has to buy them and try them at some point :)

Wrist pins are the connecting section of the rod and piston joint. Ive personally not come across TOGA but when the importance of engine strength is at stake Id buy the best, even if it means buying individually. Then again they need an opinion so someone has to buy them and try them at some point :)

Ah right I know which bits they are now.

Yep I agree, but I dont want to be the guinea pig and go first ;)

Well hopefully one of the technical guys may see this and shed some light if possible.

Hey there,

Just thought Id update this thread a little.

I made another thread on the forum just asking a few other questions which I thought would be best seperated away from my build thread as I thought I would get more response under its own title, regarding Injectors, FPR, Boost and turbos. Here it is. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=162798

At the moment, I am trying to get everything together ready for taking the block down to Chris Wilson to have rebored and a few other things done at the same time.

My latest question on the thread above is asking what could of caused my piston rings to crack?

Chris thinks it may of been caused by det, which I have responded with the following question (Just in case anyone else can help)

Question

Chris, (or anyone else in the know)

After doing some research on Detination, I came across this thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=22180 which gives a few reasons on what could cause detination.

Up to now, having totally stipped the engine completly, the only thing we have found wrong is that it had cracked pistons rings. Looking at the pistons themselves there doesnt seem to be any phsical damage ie nothing is broken, however the top end around the the piston rings are blackened. (See Pic)

As for the bores, there is no gouges at all, and they were oily as you would expect them to be. There is no sign of any rust either.

My question is, what could of caused det, and does it still sound like I det has occured?

Could my current set up (ie with 440 injectors) contributed to this?

Edited by DaveSupTT (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a very quick update, I took most of my engine down to Chris Wilsons today.

He is going to have the block rebored, cleaned and painted, I am having some new/good 2nd hand cams as mine are worn and scored and the head is being also being skimmed. It appears that after Turbo fit edit: MaxGT have had their hands on it, they have done nothing but managed to make a complete mess, which left Chris wondering what exactly if anything had been replaced.

Few other bits and bobs are also being replaced, but im basically leaving it to Chris's advise on that one.

Also I have ordered a new set of Wiseco pistons and rings (Bore size 86.5mm).

After Chris had a look at my current pistons, he said there had definetly been some detination, and it appears that it had been burning a lot of oil over a long period of time by the looks of things.

I also took my turbos down for Chris to check out. After a quick look at them, as far as Chris can see they are just standard turbos. They seem to be in good nick, and I believe turbo technics did some work on them (I think) and hopefully Turbofit didnt get their hands on them :innocent:

Ill update when I have more info.

Edited by DaveSupTT (see edit history)

Yeah I know, on a yellow slip if I remeber correctly.

We were just puzzled a little as I knew thats what you had said about being Hybrid etc but Chris seemed to think they were just stock. It was just a quick inspection though, and I know you said it was the internals that were different.