The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Rebuild by DaveSupTT

DaveSupTT

Unfortunatly im not flush or anywhere close to being so :( so id like to keep the cost down as much as possible, but I also dont want to cut corners. I dont want to be having to rebuild or touch the engine again after all this! What im after is a nice strong reliable car! :) So if things need doing in order to ensure that, i'd prefer to do stuff while the engine is out. Unless, I can get to stuff easily enough when the engine is back in!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I can't remember why I thought the engine might see such high boost, it was some time ago! I'd either leave it on a stock ECU and run 1.1 / 1.2 bar maximum boost contrlled by throttling the exhaust flow, or put a mappable ecu in it and bigger injectors and risk pushing the turbos harder, if you are feeling brave. I'll try and read the whole sage later, but I think the answer will be the same Dave.

Okay guys, I have a couple of questions for you, hopefully some one can give me some advise.

Q1. One of the last things I need to disconnect before removing the engine is the drive shaft. The explanation in the manual requires use of various SST and infers some special set up when re-installed to ensure proper alignment. If anyone has removed the prop shaft can you give me the benefit of your experience.

Q2. Once i've removed the engine with transmission intact, can I still use the bell housing to locate and fix the unit to the engine mount or do I have to disconnect the transmission from the engine block first? I think this will be the case but if someone could verify and give their input i'd appreciate it.

Regards

Dave

4 nuts hold it to the gearbox output flange, and 3 nuts and bolts hold it to the diff input doughnut, 2 bolts hold the centre support bearing plate up to the bodyshell. Be aware of 2 thick spacer washers between the centre bearing support plate and the bodyshell. No special tools needed at all. So long as you don't split the front and back halves there's no need to mark anything.

Update:

I have now removed the drive shaft! And what a PITA it was. The bolts were pretty much welded on lol. However, they were not as bad as the bolts on the silencer were! I had to hacksaw them off!!!

So, all in all, not made as much progress as we hoped this weekend, but now that thats disconected, Im almost ready to hire the crane! :)

I have now removed the transmission!!!

Next job is to hire the crane and take the engine out - finally!!!!

(Thank god I didnt try and take the engine out with the transmission still attached, that WOULD of been a nightmare!. So cheers guys for your advise! ;))

Well, finally the engine has been removed!! :trampoline:

Question:

Were just about to mount the engine on the stand, but I just wanted to check that im mounting it in the correct place. - Doesnt look like I could mount it anywhere else but I just wanted to check.

Please see the pick below and if anyone can confirm that im mounting it correctly that would be great!

DSCF0265.jpg

Edited by DaveSupTT (see edit history)

Looks ok, you want the fourth support on the stand bolted up as well though. Plus it's a good idea to try and get the center of the stand in the middle as it makes it easier to turn over on the stand.

As for the oil leak, that looks like a leaking cam cover - quite common.

Just wanted to pick all of your brains, as when I have been taking bits off around the engine, I have come to the turbos and noticed the fins on both sides are different? :search: Im not quite sure if thats normal, I cant think why to be honest why they would be, also bear in mind that these are stage 1 hybrids. As I understand it, the internals of these hybrids are stock (J-spec) dimensions (though built with steel rather than ceramic internals)

To me something doesnt look right? (see pics)

Anyone have any thoughts?

If they are meant to look like that, would you say they look in good condition?

Cheers

Turbo 1 and Turbo 2

DSCF0271.jpg

DSCF0272.jpg

Edited by DaveSupTT (see edit history)