MarkR

Update:

Just been to the bank and transfered money to Nic for the following:

GT35R Turbo kit plus all the goodies

Defi EGT BF White & Defi Link II control unit

6 x Power Enterprise 650 injectors

Rear spoiler

SSQV BOV & flange Flange

Also, getting the Bosch Fuel pump from Wez :)

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I converted to single, interpro attempted to put the Map-II piggyback ECU and got a load of problems. They were in contact with the manufacturers (New Zealand IIRC), sending over readings, who then sent back software upgrades but eventually they gave up and couldn't get it to work the VVTI properly. I think it was running very rich on idle and starving on boost.

They eventually went for the OMEX710 standalone and it appears of the face of it a very versatile ECU though by then I had converted away from the tiptronic.

As for the FBW, they had to eventually bypass that too.

Hope that helps, if you want real detail I suggest you pm JodyT.

I believe CW has access to a ready to go MoTeC setup for the VVTi Supra.

I'll have to give him a call. I'm investigating going manual, as I reckon it might work out cheaper than if I buy a really expensive ECU and then spend 3 weeks mapping it. Still like the Motec though. Is it the M800 or M600?

Update:

Just been to the bank and transfered money to Nic for the following:

GT35R Turbo kit plus all the goodies

Defi EGT BF White & Defi Link II control unit

6 x Power Enterprise 650 injectors

Rear spoiler

SSQV BOV & flange Flange

Also, getting the Bosch Fuel pump from Wez :)

GT35R -nice choice!:)

what a/r have you gone for with the exhaust housing?

An M800 will control FBW throttle and VVti, the stock ecu needs to control the auto box. You have the most complicated scenario for using an aftermarket ecu on, but it can, and has been done successfully, at a price. A Motec is a good choice for decent control of idle on big injectors, but do you need or want them? If I had to run injectors of that flow rate there's only one place I'd buy them from, and again, they are expensive, but THE BEST. With big flow injectors you need to know the lag time, et cetera.

http://www.yawpower.com/

You would need a Motec M800, CW can probably get you a good price from his motec man(if he ever appears:innocent:) if you really want to make use of the versatility of the motec I'd look at an io expander too, after planning my i/o I've realised it is a fecking awesome ecu that really could surpass oem functionality....if you had the money

If thought out cleverly it could be a Fuel,Ignition,Climate Controller,Turbo timer, Boost Controller, Electronic Thermostat, Dual Map,Safety mode,Water injection controller, traction control, launch control, Controll all your vvti,fbw,gear shift light,warning alarms, pretty much everything you can throw at it, there are clever circuits that can be built (pretty easily)were it can pretty much be an in car alarm through wifi (Bondango can confirm this has been done over in the mkiii forum) the limits are endless

If your also in the game of modifying cars and are a greedy fellow like Javensio:innocent: with 2babies, then you could take it out and fire it into the other car without a hinderance, ready to control something else(with an extra map and the required wiring loom ofcourse)...well you can't drive 2cars at the one time anyway

The question is do you want all this? You have already mentioned you have bought the aquamist system - I'm not sure which one it is but if its the one with the controller, you have just wasted money that could have been put towards a standalone

The aem can do much of the above, as can an EFI e.t.c but with the Motec you have the reliability and the option to expand your i/o, if you have one thing controlling everything then that one thing can control said things whilst relying on feedback from others, controlling everything safely

It is expensive but if used properly would just be about the same in terms of cost as boost controller, turbo timer, rltc, plus piggyback bla bla bla

If you want the easy option go for a piggyback especially with the vvti, if your that little more creative and dont want gadgets coming out of every orifice then a standalone is the way to go

You would need a Motec M800, CW can probably get you a good price from his motec man(if he ever appears:innocent:) if you really want to make use of the versatility of the motec I'd look at an io expander too, after planning my i/o I've realised it is a fecking awesome ecu that really could surpass oem functionality....if you had the money

If thought out cleverly it could be a Fuel,Ignition,Climate Controller,Turbo timer, Boost Controller, Electronic Thermostat, Dual Map,Safety mode,Water injection controller, traction control, launch control, Controll all your vvti,fbw,gear shift light,warning alarms, pretty much everything you can throw at it, there are clever circuits that can be built (pretty easily)were it can pretty much be an in car alarm through wifi (Bondango can confirm this has been done over in the mkiii forum) the limits are endless

If your also in the game of modifying cars and are a greedy fellow like Javensio:innocent: with 2babies, then you could take it out and fire it into the other car without a hinderance, ready to control something else(with an extra map and the required wiring loom ofcourse)...well you can't drive 2cars at the one time anyway

The question is do you want all this? You have already mentioned you have bought the aquamist system - I'm not sure which one it is but if its the one with the controller, you have just wasted money that could have been put towards a standalone

The aem can do much of the above, as can an EFI e.t.c but with the Motec you have the reliability and the option to expand your i/o, if you have one thing controlling everything then that one thing can control said things whilst relying on feedback from others, controlling everything safely

It is expensive but if used properly would just be about the same in terms of cost as boost controller, turbo timer, rltc, plus piggyback bla bla bla

If you want the easy option go for a piggyback especially with the vvti, if your that little more creative and dont want gadgets coming out of every orifice then a standalone is the way to go

Nice writeup. I asked CW for advice on the aquamist, and chose the one he recommended, so hopefully I've made the right choice there.

I fully agree with your comments and was very interested to hear your views (some of which hadn't occured to me so I'm grateful). Thanks for taking the time to write it up :)

I'm still waiting to hear from Ryan next week and once I've had input from all the people I've asked and all the searching on the net, then I'll pick my mapper and get the job done. Hopefully I don't look back with regret after I've made the choice. I know that no matter how much you try plan, you do make small mistakes here and there (JamieP knows what I'm talking about ;) ), and I've heard so many convincing arguments for all sorts of different choices. I guess you do the best with the information at hand and pray....

While I'm on the subject. Once I've ripped the twins out and installed the turbo kit etc, would it be okay to drive "off boost" to the mappers and pop the new injectors and ecu in at their premises? How do people usually get their car to the mapper if they're doing some of the work themselves?

You should trailer it, but you SHOULD be ok on stock injectors and no boost, but it takes a strong constitution to not prod the loud pedal at least once, "just to see" :)

Thanks Chris. It'll be a while still so hopefully I can source a trailer at the time.

Kind of like the old "please baby, just the once, just the tip, just to see how it feels" trick ;)

The women USED to say things like that to me, now they'd just call the police.... :) I give you the benefit of the doubt here, I can't believe you plead with women, but these days, who knows ?

It should be fairly safe if you keep off the gas, but is it worth the risk? Just check it runs on a fast idle and trailer it is certainly safest, IMHO.

Oh meant to add, Motec got their act together and got theirselves a forum, give this a few months and this will be huge if the section over on efi is anything to go by

http://www.motec.com.au/forum/

These are the things that add to the sense of satisfction when buying a product, aem already had one, but the posts are few and far between as are the replies to threads,

In all honesty, I'd go with the proven advice and go with what your mapper tells you, I'm not a huge fan of any ecu, they all have their bad points and good points, I just look for functionality, and the versatility to add whenever I get a new idea or requirement whereas some folk just want an ecu setup once and left alone, these things can be discussed with your mapper and I'm sure if he's proven then he will do ya right, if you think your going to settle with this state of tune, I wouldnt go overboard in electronics it wouldn't be vfm