Hit a cat last night

marc_p

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prick

Hold on, why are you insulting me? If you have a dog, you surely not allowing him outside without you being around to keep eye on him? I cannot understand stupidity of people, who are letting cats out and after that moaning that some car or chavs killed it. How about situation - you drive your car and have your missus and child sitting next to you. Suddenly cat jumps out on the street, you swerve and hit lamppost (this is stupid, but most unexperienced people try to avoid vermin by all cost). Your kid is dead, your missus is seriously hurt. You know it is your neighbours (sp?) cat.

If you own animal, take the bloody responsibility for it, keep dog/cat/parrot/fish home and if you want it to roam outside, go with animal, spend some time outside breathing fresh air, not sit with fat ass on a couch, when your lovely kitten can be drove over!

Yep, Michael is right.

Hold on, why are you insulting me? If you have a dog, you surely not allowing him outside without you being around to keep eye on him? I cannot understand stupidity of people, who are letting cats out and after that moaning that some car or chavs killed it. How about situation - you drive your car and have your missus and child sitting next to you. Suddenly cat jumps out on the street, you swerve and hit lamppost (this is stupid, but most unexperienced people try to avoid vermin by all cost). Your kid is dead, your missus is seriously hurt. You know it is your neighbours (sp?) cat.

If you own animal, take the bloody responsibility for it, keep dog/cat/parrot/fish home and if you want it to roam outside, go with animal, spend some time outside breathing fresh air, not sit with fat ass on a couch, when your lovely kitten can be drove over!

What are you suggesting exactly, because as far as I was aware keeping a cat indoors or letting it out on a lead once in a while is cruel.

They are still very wild at heart and don’t like being locked up, unlike dogs which don’t mind as long as they have company and get regular exercise.

Where I think the blame lies is the cat owners having cats in the first place when they live on busy roads, that is asking for it IMO.

not allowing him outside without you being around to keep eye on him? I cannot understand stupidity of people, who are letting cats out

Have you ever tried keeping a Cat indoors or going out with it like you would with a Dog?? Totally different story. Cats like to roam, it's what they do.

Where I think the blame lies is the cat owners having cats in the first place when they live on busy roads, that is asking for it IMO.

Agree with that. I live in middle of nowhere, nothing but Fields. Heaven for any Cat. ;)

Edited by keancy (see edit history)

I say, that this cat was victims of stupidity of his owner.

@Scotster

If you are not sure your 10 years old understand rules about street and cars, you are not really let him out without supervision?

I belive cats CAN be trained to stay in house and walk on lead, seen few and they was not really looking sad. It is still better to see cat on lead then cat gutted upside down on the street isn't it? If you compare cat to child, cat is like 3 years old, keep eye on him or expect him to get missing one day. Big towns with high traffic are not really places for free roaming cats, period.

Guest mattsupra

i dont agree with the whole thing about keeping cats indoors myself as already said my mum has 3 cats who dont go out and there very happy (sorry i do talk to them often :)) and there very well loved and cared for but they do live on a very busy main road and there is no way on earth they would be let out to roam about due to mostly where they live

is there any point to this thread now? as i think its getting too heated and a stressed monday isnt needed :(

I once ran over a cat, luckerly it was ok and I just caught it when going round a corner so it was slow speed.

I would be devastated if my cat was run over. However I do understand some drivers not trying to locate the owner and to be honest I would rather prob have the 'my cats run off but alive' then someone handing me a bloody body but thats just me.

Sad case whatever but life does move on. when this happened to me;

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=95956

I would of rather she was run over as she wouldnt of died in pain. However my younger step sister put it all in prespective at the time by saying.

'At least you got time with her and it is only a pet no matter how attached you get' from a child who's mum died of cancer when she was 8.

For food yeah understand, but if you’re not going to eat the animal then why kill it, that’s just plain wrong IMO.

Actually he does take them home and either eats them or gives them to the butcher to sell.

When I get our dog Ill be taking some home to feed him.

There not our creatures, they are an existence of there own. How would you like it if a greater being killed you and your family for fun?

I'd be a bit annoyed, but I'd understand if we found out Earth was his planet and he'd only been away on holiday for a few millenia and all these vermin moved in and took all the natural resources.

Also, we're creatures who can understand their own existence, rabbits aren't, I hate it when people bring up stupid comparisons with things that can't possibly be related!

Take what you just said and turn that over to your kid. Say you have a 10 year old out playing and they get ran over. Who would you blame if the child dies and noone comes forward? Yourself for not keeping an eye on your kid (seems thats what your saying), your kid for not watching where he was going (again, this seems what you are saying again) or would you blame the driver.

I know what my money would be on.

See above.

Plus, I'd blame myself and the child if I was it's parent. Children should be taught about the dangers of the road, they should understand how not to play near traffic. If my kid ran out in front of a car I'd be pissed off and feel the need to appologise to the driver.

Having said that, I don't agree with the way Konio came across.

Trouble is cats are different to other pets, really they shouldn't be let out to roam free, but they also shouldn't be locked up in a house all their lives. So they shouldn't be kept by people who live near busy roads, if they DO get hit the owner shouldn't blame the driver.

i dont agree with the whole thing about keeping cats indoors myself as already said my mum has 3 cats who dont go out and there very happy (sorry i do talk to them often :)) and there very well loved and cared for but they do live on a very busy main road and there is no way on earth they would be let out to roam about due to mostly where they live

is there any point to this thread now? as i think its getting too heated and a stressed monday isnt needed :(

Just out of curiosity, how does your Mum air the House?? My Cat get's kept in at nights at all times but if a Window was left open he has/will escape.

I belive cats CAN be trained to stay in house

Jesus what a moron, I'm not even going to comment on the rest of your posts as you are quite clearly what Michael penned you as. No cats can't be trained to stay in the house, leave the door open and it'll wander out if it wants. Berk.

Our cat is purely a house cat though, Siamese aren't known for having good road sense but more likely round here would be he'd get stolen. :( I do wonder if he gets bored sometimes in the house all the time but he does get taken out to visit my Mum or the in-laws :)

Edited by Thorin (see edit history)

Be honest now, did you just hit it and drive off or did you really check it out ?

I hope you moved it from the road where you hit it, another car may come along and hit it and think that they had caused the death of the animal !

Your callous attitude annoyed people i expect although im sure you didn't mean it to come across that way did you ?

Personally if it was in the road it was the animals fault, although i would go out of my way to make sure it was dead and check to see if it had a collar or some kind of identity of ownership and inform the owner.

I think it is worse not to know what has happened to a family pet than being told it was runover and killed as you get a chance to grieve.

I did stop to check, but couldnt see it, but due to it being a tight country lane with quite a steep drop at one side I assumed it had got knocked down the banking (which is actually more like a cliff edge) and I have to be realistic and assumed it died as it was quite an impact, I would like to think it survived but I doubt it :(

Didn't mean it to come across callous at all, I was more bothered about the cat than the car (the car is repairable).

Please could a mod close this thread it's got way out of hand.

I say, that this cat was victims of stupidity of his owner.

@Scotster

If you are not sure your 10 years old understand rules about street and cars, you are not really let him out without supervision?

I belive cats CAN be trained to stay in house and walk on lead, seen few and they was not really looking sad. It is still better to see cat on lead then cat gutted upside down on the street isn't it? If you compare cat to child, cat is like 3 years old, keep eye on him or expect him to get missing one day. Big towns with high traffic are not really places for free roaming cats, period.

Now you really are beling naive mate. I gave 10 year olds as an example. People are knocked down and killed every day regardless of their age, wit, intelligence, size, fitness level, religious belief or green cross code ability. Sometimes its the persons fault, sometimes its the drivers fault but i would like to think in every situtation they are all accidents.

i wonder what would happen if you knocked someone down and ended up in court. If it happens give me a shout, i'll use direct quotes from this thread to show your idea of compassion. I wonder what sort of compassion the Judge would show you.

Any cat lover would prefer :

Stop, go back and check, find out (if you can) where it lives and try to return it or take it to a vets.

In other words, do everything you can to 'help' the situation.

You never know - the owner might 'help' with any damage - if they're as understanding about your car ! ( theres a bit of Karma :) )

No one will persecute you for hitting a cat - cat owners know its a possibility.

Now heres the controversial bit - you've got insurance!

Our cat is purely a house cat though, Siamese aren't known for having good road sense but more likely round here would be he'd get stolen. :( I do wonder if he gets bored sometimes in the house all the time but he does get taken out to visit my Mum or the in-laws :)

A bit off topic...

Its a good idea to have 2 cats if your having them as housecats. They get bored and lonely without each others company. Dogs are ok with human company. They do, however, learn to live with it but if it is an option for you i would go for it.

We have 4 house cats lol. Started off with the idea of 2 but one of them had kittens at the time we were letting them out so we ended up with 2 of them also