Hit a cat last night

marc_p

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't my point!!

It doesn't belong to anyone on here as far as we know, I appreciate that it will be tragic to someone but why all the hypothetical crap (like your last post)..:rolleyes: Likening it to wife and kids is also way wide of the mark!!

I am an animal lover and although I find it sad and upsetting, it is unfortunately unavoidable if you are going to have cars and cats in the same vacinity!!

Blown out of proportion.....much!!

H.

I think to be honest it was the original post that upset so many people. There wasn't much remorse in it.

I think to be honest it was the original post that upset so many people. There wasn't much remorse in it.

Appreciated!!

I killed a rabbit whilst in the lakes a few years ago and although I felt really guilty, common sense dictates that if you are doing 60 and a rabbit runs out of a hedge 5 metres in front of you then there is little that can be done about it.

I am not a cat fan but I have been at the scene after one has been hit and to watch then die slowly and feel the heartbeat fade away is not nice....:( Like I have said, this thread has made a mountain out of a mole hill, but I wouldn't expect anything else really!!

H.

I killed a rabbit whilst in the lakes a few years ago and although I felt really guilty, common sense dictates that if you are doing 60 and a rabbit runs out of a hedge 5 metres in front of you then there is little that can be done about it.

Where I live, rabbits are absolutely everywhere and almost impossible to avoid so unfortunatley there are many dead rabbits on the road near mine, it's still quite sad when you run one over though.

Rabbits in the road aren't usually pets though, which means they're vermin, so you're probably doing some farmer somewhere a favour by hitting it.

There are probably more pet cats out running across roads than there are feral cats, so if you hit one it should make you feel worse than if you hit a rabbit, because you should be thinking it was probably someones beloved pet.

All animals are a form of life, we have no right as a human race to depopulate or actively over hunt animals or anything along those lines.

Rabbit’s coincidently are my favourite animal, they are a common sight in British wildlife and should not be frowned upon as vermin.

If anything is vermin it’s us humans.

Edited by NeoMagic (see edit history)

All animals are a form of life, we have no right as a human race to depopulate or actively over hunt animals or anything along those lines.

Rabbit’s coincidently are my favourite animal, they are a common sight in British wildlife and should not be frowned upon as vermin.

If anything is vermin it’s us humans.

That's all well and good, but wild rabbits ARE vermin, whether you think they're cute or not. I'm a member of a rifle club and go shooting with this guy, we've been ratting a few times and rabbiting a few times - I'm not good enough to shoot at live animals yet cos I wouldn't get a clean kill - but it's a regular thing that happens all over the country every day of the year.

That's all well and good, but wild rabbits ARE vermin, whether you think they're cute or not. I'm a member of a rifle club and go shooting with this guy, we've been ratting a few times and rabbiting a few times - I'm not good enough to shoot at live animals yet cos I wouldn't get a clean kill - but it's a regular thing that happens all over the country every day of the year.

It’s got nothing to do with whether I think there cute or not, you’ve entirely missed my point about the part where I said “What gives us the right to end any animals life” for nothing more than more than a sport?

For food yeah understand, but if you’re not going to eat the animal then why kill it, that’s just plain wrong IMO.

There not our creatures, they are an existence of there own. How would you like it if a greater being killed you and your family for fun?

I’m no tree hugging animal activist by any stretch, but I do firmly believe all things are equal, just because we are superior beings does not mean that they are any less of a being or worthy of there own existence.

Deep? Maybe, but what goes around comes around.

I think its ok to hunt animals for sport as long as they are being taken home and eaten. I am no tree hugger either but i don't like it when people hunt animals and just leave them where they fall and chalk down a kill.

A few guys in my work go lamping (might be a scottish term) and i don't mind that at all as they bring home what they hunt and eat it.

Guest mattsupra
Thats a first, i agree with michael.

blimey me too lol

my folks have always had cats and there persians so dont go out but one did and he did get hit by a car and killed but we didnt know he had got out and it was so shocking to see him the way he was after, it really shook us all and no cats are not human but we cat lovers love them all the same as if they were and if its a no win situation then human life is obviously more important but its not nice at all when people say "its only a cat, get over it " coz its not if its your cat

sorry to read about your car and hope you get it sorted asap

rip pussy cat :(

If someone hit my cat and didn't make me aware I'd go loopy. Most cats are microchipped nowadays so taking the poor thing to a vet wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world to do IMO. Anything less is plain ignorance. I've even done it myself before and the cat survived. I'm sure if I hadn't then it would be a different story.

Off topic: I wrote car instead of cat 3 times in the above post :blink: I think I'm obsessed.

Prick

Hold on, why are you insulting me? If you have a dog, you surely not allowing him outside without you being around to keep eye on him? I cannot understand stupidity of people, who are letting cats out and after that moaning that some car or chavs killed it. How about situation - you drive your car and have your missus and child sitting next to you. Suddenly cat jumps out on the street, you swerve and hit lamppost (this is stupid, but most unexperienced people try to avoid vermin by all cost). Your kid is dead, your missus is seriously hurt. You know it is your neighbours (sp?) cat.

If you own animal, take the bloody responsibility for it, keep dog/cat/parrot/fish home and if you want it to roam outside, go with animal, spend some time outside breathing fresh air, not sit with fat ass on a couch, when your lovely kitten can be drove over!

Be honest now, did you just hit it and drive off or did you really check it out ?

I hope you moved it from the road where you hit it, another car may come along and hit it and think that they had caused the death of the animal !

Your callous attitude annoyed people i expect although im sure you didn't mean it to come across that way did you ?

Personally if it was in the road it was the animals fault, although i would go out of my way to make sure it was dead and check to see if it had a collar or some kind of identity of ownership and inform the owner.

I think it is worse not to know what has happened to a family pet than being told it was runover and killed as you get a chance to grieve.

Poor, poor Cat and their loving owners who are probably wondering where their beloved Pet has gone :cry:

Very sad thread. I would be in absolute bits if someone ran over my Cat, he is like a Family member to me.

Some very nasty comments in this whole thread to be honest. Not very nice to read.

Hold on, why are you insulting me? If you have a dog, you surely not allowing him outside without you being around to keep eye on him? I cannot understand stupidity of people, who are letting cats out and after that moaning that some car or chavs killed it. How about situation - you drive your car and have your missus and child sitting next to you. Suddenly cat jumps out on the street, you swerve and hit lamppost (this is stupid, but most unexperienced people try to avoid vermin by all cost). Your kid is dead, your missus is seriously hurt. You know it is your neighbours (sp?) cat.

If you own animal, take the bloody responsibility for it, keep dog/cat/parrot/fish home and if you want it to roam outside, go with animal, spend some time outside breathing fresh air, not sit with fat ass on a couch, when your lovely kitten can be drove over!

Who said anything about avoiding the animal? If i was driving at a speed where it was unsafe to swerve i wouldn't. Simple as that. Noone is saying to put yourself at any risk to avoid animals. The simple fact is yourself, and a few others on here, have shown absolutely NO compassion whatsoever.

Take what you just said and turn that over to your kid. Say you have a 10 year old out playing and they get ran over. Who would you blame if the child dies and noone comes forward? Yourself for not keeping an eye on your kid (seems thats what your saying), your kid for not watching where he was going (again, this seems what you are saying again) or would you blame the driver.

I know what my money would be on.

As i have said, accidents do happen. When our cat got ran over the guy took her down to the vet, then to the police station and then he brought her to us after he found out there was no need to report it. I thanked the guy for letting me know and he left feeling a little bad. There was nothing the guy could have done so i didn't feel at all angry towards the guy. These things happen, its how we deal with them that shows compassion.