The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not Worth Selling!

Tricky-Ricky

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try owning a range rover 4.6 HSE you couldn't give that away right now!! There are cars way worse off. In the grand scheme of things I'd say the supra has actually held up quite well. The rest of the car market is plummeting despite the trades attempts to stop it. Even cheapy to run cars are getting hit hard as a lot of them are second cars that people just can't afford to have any more. Cost of diesel is getting silly now as well. LPG seems about the only way to go but you just know the buggar lugs will tax that up soon as well. Personal transportation is going to become a commodity we can't afford soon enough.

just keep it untill you can use it as a classic car, cheap insurance and no more tax?

Has to be pre 1972 to be tax free.

I don't think the Supra will reach classic/iconic status, there's too many that have been bastardised by Barry & Mohammed to salvage a reputation purely on ability.

I don't think the Supra will reach classic/iconic status, there's too many that have been bastardised by Barry & Mohammed to salvage a reputation purely on ability.

I agree. There are far too many on the roads (and still entering from Japan) to ever become a classic.

Pre-73 IIRC.

I'm sure a mint, stock, 6sp TT will be a valuable classic one day. The rest will fall by the wayside.

Mine is going up for sale this month as I have decided I want a change and also my next car is going to be a keeper for a long long time. However I am in no rush so I now have the hard time of pricing it right so it does actually sell but isnt stupidly cheap

I went to the Ring a long weekend a couple of weeks back. The money I used in fuel for the Supra would have kept my daily driver in veggie oil going to work and back for 9 months.

My advice? Enjoy these cars now, because in a 'few' years we'll all be driving electric / hybrid cr@p. Cheap and eco concious, but with no soul.

We'll only have the memories to live on...........

I am now thinking that I sold mine at the right time as well... November last year! Been missing the car and want to buy another one, but I am watching the prices (supras and R34s) and they are dropping so fast, I may as well wait and see what happens.

Good luck guys, seems like now is the time to hold onto your cars ;)

Just enjoy it. I'm not worrying about the values dropping, and as long as I can afford to put petrol in it, I will keep on enjoying it :)

Well Said :) i think thats the case for most of us. They guzzle petrol and thrape our pockets in modifications but I can't think of any other car that would give me so much pleasure to own. Both for its drive and visual appeal. Everyones is different, we create it and make it part of ourselves ;)

As for getting your money back...:rolleyes: Personally I've spent more on the car than what I bought it for (£4.5K) latest bill will take it to close on £5K in mods/parts but I don't begrudge a penny. To me its unique.

Keep it and drive it!!! Enjoy!! :nana::ecstatic::yahoo:

Linda

xx

I was looking through the classifieds yesterday, M3 CSL's and R34 GTR's are now sub £25k, kind of makes losing 2-5k on a Supra seem trivial really.

... and when the R35 comes out here officially and even through importers I can see the R34s plummet in price too.

Petrol is the biggest factor, but like Colin says they've been dropping for years, only certain examples/models are likely to hold any value, most will just fall like everything else.

... and when the R35 comes out here officially and even through importers I can see the R34s plummet in price too.

Petrol is the biggest factor, but like Colin says they've been dropping for years, only certain examples/models are likely to hold any value, most will just fall like everything else.

Agree, I think if you had a list of every marque, model and variant made since 1985 I bet less than 20 examples are appreciating or holding.

I bet within 18 months from now the grey import R35's will plumet in value as the UK cars come onto the second hand market, which will in turn will cause the R34's to go down to £16-18k and will crush R33's.

We need more Paul Whiffins keeping the value up. problem is, its not the price of the car thats the problem, its running it. so more and more people who can "just afford" one get hold of a supra, find its costing them to much then sell on for less than they bought it for all in a short period and it keeps happening..

I bet within 18 months from now the grey import R35's will plumet in value as the UK cars come onto the second hand market, which will in turn will cause the R34's to go down to £16-18k and will crush R33's.

I cant believe the bloke on 5th gear, when he said in Japan the R35 GTR goes for 30k new! So much car for the money, been playing with it on GT5p and its bloody superb (sad) :D

Why are we moaning about prices... we have the cars so really we can say what we want for it as we control the market (being owners) !

If the majority of owners that are selling their TT's decided to sell them at £8k+ then people who want to get a supra will pay it....as the whole reasoning of "if i pay less than £8k will i get a dog" will come into play.

You see same age R33 GTR's still going for £8-10k and they have a successor the R34 and now the New GTR, the reason why they are still a good price is cos the owners of these cars are adiment that their cars are worth that money. So why not the Supra who does not have a successor as yet ! After all the supra is the only car that looks the way it does so its quite uniq ... and im sorry they are not as common as your average BMW so still a bit exclusive....

I cant see why the prices should be going down, they should at least stay static....like the Skylines of the same age.

I for one have no plans to sell my supe...i enjoy it to much :)

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Why are we moaning about prices... we have the cars so really we can say what we want for it as we control the market (being owners) !

If the majority of owners that are selling their TT's decided to sell them at £8k+ then people who want to get a supra will pay it....as the whole reasoning of "if i pay less than £8k will i get a dog" will come into play.

You see same age R33 GTR's still going for £8-10k and they have a successor the R34 and now the New GTR, the reason why they are still a good price is cos the owners of these cars are adiment that their cars are worth that money. So why not the Supra who does not have a successor as yet ! After all the supra is the only car that looks the way it does so its quite uniq ... and im sorry they are not as common as your average BMW so still a bit exclusive....

I cant see why the prices should be going down, they should at least stay static....like the Skylines of the same age.

I have been saying the same thing for years lol

Well maintained, clean, 'stock-like' examples should command higher values IMO. As when I bought mine, I wanted the stock look, and was prepared to pay for it too.

I'm just loving being topless in this gorgeous weather we're currently having. :)

We can't control the market while there are importers willing to undercut the members of this board. As a forum we do not own enough of the Supras in circulation to fix prices for our gain. I'd love to sell mine for £8k but I don't think that's going to happen while importers will sell a 97 facelift for similar cash.

Regarding the R33 GTR, will I'm affraid it's the buyers who deem them more valuable than Supras. Even though over 215,000 R33's were built (all models) ensuring a plentiful supply the GTR enjoys more kudos, a better reputation and ultimately is a more desirable car.

Supras have an awful reputation and while people are still happy to bolt on kits resembling the sketchings of a daydreaming 8 year old finished off with daft wheels and an explosion in a paint factory finishes then we have no hope.

• 3 weeks later...

hello, so what are they worth at the moment then, mines a jdm 94 gz aerotop TT. got 80000miles on it, very good condition. i paid 8k for it 3months ago and looking now probably wasint the best price i could have paid. i do really enjoy owning one tho, like you all say what else is there what comes close to the quality and performance of the supraTT