The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT74 High Compression Six Speed

Terminator

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I think it sounds pretty amazing too. The camera mic just can't capture the true sound. I'll have to get some in cabin clips as it sounds very different but amazing.

Every now and again the local pilots let us use the strip:D comes in handy at times.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

At the weekend we took the car to a local airfield to map it at higher speeds. This clip was taken when the car was mapped to 0.75 bar all the way to the 8500 red line.

The last gear, 5th, was run at part throttle all the others were at WOT

Having looked more closely at the clip, I believe the red line was already raised,as the rpm goes beyond 8500, where the previous limit was set. I estimate the top speed was close to 170 mph, close to the limit on my set up in fifth gear.

Edited by Terminator
Revised more realistic top speed (see edit history)

I finished hard wiring my Race Logic to the loom in the small hours this morning. Tested all the cuts and all seem to be working fine. Just need to get the new tire sizes entered before road testing it. I cant wait to get started on start the mapping for 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 bar. More pics and vids soon.

I finished hard wiring my Race Logic to the loom in the small hours this morning. Tested all the cuts and all seem to be working fine. Just need to get the new tire sizes entered before road testing it. I cant wait to get start the mapping for 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 bar. More pics and vids soon.

We need more of that fabulous exhaust noise. :D

Great job you're doing btw. :)

At the weekend we took the car to a local airfield to map it at higher speeds. This clip was taken when the car was mapped to 0.75 bar all the way to the 8500 red line.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/Devilstorque/th_075bar_0001.jpg

The last gear was run at part throttle all the others were at WOT

85mph in second gear and near on 200 in 5th, is that right? mine only does 65 in second.

Goes well for .75bar, dont sound like a supra, is the wastegate plumbed in the exhaust, look forward to more speedo videos:)

EDIT: just realised yours revs to 8500rpm, that will be why you get so much more from the gears, nice:cool:

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Speedo is out 7+%ish so gauge speeds are higher than actual, so the car was probably only doing 170, still pretty quick. In that clip gear changes are taking place just before the stock motor would be near its limit. My 8500rpm limit takes the car much faster, through the standard 6 speed box. We have seen the speedo much further round than that shown in the clip, so we believe 200+ is in there in sixth. I need to get a mount for the camera so my passenger does not have to get thrown about during gear changes.

The waste gate is plumbed back in to the system. I really don't like raw waste gate dumps,IMHO it is much better to have it go through the exhaust system and silencers. The car gets enough attention as it is:sly:.

So far the results of this build have far exceed my expectations and there is more to come;)

MB - - takes a bow...

suffice to say you do not realise how fast a car is when your mapping it until your happy and get a chance to look up and stop concentrating on everything else.

did a basemap just a while ago to let it settle in.. which felt kinda quick.

spent an evening pulling fuel and tuning more aggresively,, with unbelieveable results.. had to keep checking still only making 10-11lb boost.. its quite damning really because this car seems to make power without any effort at all..

presently at using 50% injector duty @8500rpm @11lb boost, so we should be able to get to around 1.3bar sensibly without complications on these injectors.

As far as I know this engine setup is unique to the UK. I don't think anyone else is running a compression ratio anywhere near 9.5:1. When you combine that with a ported head, 1mm oversize valves, 280 cams and an 8500rpm rev limit, it probably goes some way to explain the performance.

Martin has done a great job mapping the car, I think we both had our expectations exceeded interms of the performance of the motor.

Took the spark plugs out to check them the other day. They look perfect. So far, all but the initial start up has been achieved on NGK coppers, BCPR7ES. For the next stage of mapping I want to run a cooler plug so need 8's but can't find a supply. Can anyone point me to a supplier who does not want to charge Platinum prices for a basic copper plug?

Phil, i bought some BPR8ES plugs from a local parts supplier. They were the only cooler grade plug that were available. They cost me £14.31 for all 6.

If you cant locate these plugs, let me know and i will get some for you and send them to you.

I had a chat with NGK technical a few minutes ago and they told me they do not supply an copper grade 8 plugs of the size fitted in the MKIV. They only make Iridiums in a grade 8. I found some BPR8ES plugs in a box in the garage but they are the wrong bolt size, ie not 10mm spark socket size so don't fit.

Now I am really confused.The is no way I am mapping on Iridium plugs.

2 sets of coppers never lasted 2 min in my car while mapping at 1.5bar,couple boost runs and they was f**ked, (plus we was getting knock with the coppers at 1.5bar, put Iridiums at the same boost no knock:search:) Mapped both my supra's on R7436-9 NGK and never a problem with them, pricey though at £150 a set

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)