The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT74 High Compression Six Speed

Terminator

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the pipes in the feed to the FMIC and to throttle body, are bespoke. Yesterday we cut out the first hole in the passenger side, where the battery used to be, to accommodate the pipes from FIMC to the Q45 throttle body. We are trying to run pipes with the maximum radius possible to accommodate later developments. After doing this we have even better access to the rear of the head lamp, when compared to stock with the battery in place.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been away for a few days and there were a few small parts on order that were holding things up. Just a quick update, with pics to follow later. The fuel system has been tested to hold 90psi with out any pressure drop

The exhaust system had been fabricated from PHR and BL 4" exhaust systems, and Bolra race silencers and a Burns tail pipe. The ground clearance is very good almost 9cm better than my HKS system.

Just a couple of links to some of my Exhaust parts( Sorry links not working as original sites have altered their layout)

This little thing is incredible, it weighs in at just over 1KG, it can be dismantled to add or remove stainless scrubble so the sound and Db level can be adjusted to some degree. I decided to keep it just as it is, ie no tail pipe to speak off. This should help keep the noise level down.

I have a couple of Borla mufflers These things are incredible too, just like the Burns totally stainless and ultra compact.

I can't claim any credit for researching either of these parts. I think it was Mig who first suggested and purchased Borla silencers. The Burns has already been used at TOTB a few years back on Dudes car. I hope to be able to take it a few steps further in the high speed stakes.

The system needs more tig welding and to be raised about 15mm at the front. The ground clearance is fantastic, however we are going to weld on a skid plate, to help cope with the local councils over zealous use of lumps in the road. The band on the back box is temporary as are the tie-wraps. We are making up some stainless brackets and rods to give us hangers in a better position. even with the extra silencers the whole system is so much lighter than previous HKS exhaust. I am really looking forward to the sound of this beauty.

Here is a clip of a straight through 4" before and after adding a Burns muffler.

Edited by Terminator
Links dead trying to fix (see edit history)

I wanted to build a custom system, as I wanted a little more silencing than I had before. It may reduce the power a little, but with the power I am aiming for, it won't be an issue. The Burns rear box has a bung that runs the full length of the box, however the exit diameter is too small, so we are looking at making one that is adjustable.

I am a little pushed for time so have not kept up with the planned photo record of the build. I will try to add a few more images as we get towards completion.

Jezz if you want another ride in the 200SX/RB, you are welcome the suspension has been adjusted, sothe tail is much better at staying on the ground. The timing has been changed so there is quite a bit more power to the wheels.:D

First test positioning of the ITS GT74 DBB turbo

Engine in with custom loom to be threaded into the car

HKS Thermostatic oil cooler, cooler location, test fitting.

I need a 3.5 inch V band clamp for the connection between my turbo and PHR down pipe. I have one on order but have no ETA. I want to fire up my car to start mapping, but can't due to lack of the clamp. If anyone has one I could borrow or purchase, I would be very grateful.

mmmmmmm loverly :D subscribed, like the look of the exhaust i have got some tube with a view to making one as everything out there is either too low or to noisy or both

Exactly why I preferred to make up a system. Noise and ground clearance of off the shelf systems were just not good enough. The Borla silencers are a work of art and only a fraction of an inch over 4" deep. The Burns scores big point as it is basically a back box without a tail pipe, again helping to bring noise levels down. A big thank you to Terry for bringing all of the silencers to my attention.

I really did not like the screamer on the 200SX/ RB car, when the valve opened the noise was incredible not just very loud it was so raw and unpleasant. It caused a reaction in me like the reaction some people get when you drag finger nails down a blackboard, you love it or you hate it. The 200SX/RB sounds so much better since the Screamer was routed back into the pipe.

We found a 4" adjustable baffle, tried it in another 4" tail pipe on a mildly modded 200SX with just a back box. It certainly made a difference, making the exhaust sound great all through the rev range.

One thing members should be aware of, when buying kits from the states, is all the components are designed with steering from the left. This means fabrication of pipe work is almost inevitable. With a number of JDM cars popping up in the states, perhaps the big tuners/suppliers should consider making right hand drive parts for their kits.

The Borla silencers are a work of art and only a fraction of an inch over 4" deep.

Is it possible to take a close up pic of the inside of one of the borla silencers?

What HKS exhaust did you previously own? I'm thinking of chopping up the centre section of my HKS ti and putting in one of these borla mufflers...I like nice silent cars, but I dont want a restricted exhaust

I need a 3.5 inch V band clamp for the connection between my turbo and PHR down pipe. I have one on order but have no ETA. I want to fire up my car to start mapping, but can't due to lack of the clamp. If anyone has one I could borrow or purchase, I would be very grateful.

I had a spare from when i fitted the phr stage 3 tubby, ive turned the house and garage upside down looking for it, might be at my brothers as i left an old tool chest there when i moved, ill check tonight.

Is it possible to take a close up pic of the inside of one of the borla silencers?

Yes, I'll take some next time I am over at the workshop. This shot is taken looking through the Burns you can just see the the end of two perforated plates that run down the middle of the 4" inner bore of the Borla silencer.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75450&d=1210804853

What HKS exhaust did you previously own? I'm thinking of chopping up the centre section of my HKS ti and putting in one of these Borla mufflers...I like nice silent cars, but I don't want a restricted exhaust

I had a HKS Hiper. The section that went under the back axle was too low. The speed humps round Cambridgeshire are ludicrously high, even stock exhausts get clipped. I decide not to use an off the shelf system mainly to make the car quieter than a normal straight through 4" and to try to get the pipe as close to the underside of the car as possible.

The Borla ovals obviously are a good choice for ground clearance. You might consider the Burns silencer as it can be taken apart to add or remove sound deadening material. They really are very well made, to very tight tollerances.

We found two places under the car where the Borla's could sit with out compromising the ground clearance.

I had a spare from when i fitted the phr stage 3 tubby, ive turned the house and garage upside down looking for it, might be at my brothers as i left an old tool chest there when i moved, ill check tonight.

Thanks Jamie, much appreciated. I think we may be OK now. Martin picked one up from a farm, of all places. It is too big so we will cut and Tig weld it to fit.

That is a a very kind and much appreciated offer. However I have 4" V band clamps, they are much too big. We tried to cut and tig weld a chopped 4", unfortunately the curvature of the inner gripping faces has to be exactly the same as the mating faces of the pipe.

We have really moved on at a pace this week, after a bit of a slow down, but I keep forgetting to take my camera.

Most of the fuel system is now complete., FMIC now fully fitted, all custom pipework is complete.

Air con refitted, ditched stock fan for a 13" Spal.

Exhaust totaly fabricated, apart for the waste gate to 4" reroute into the main exhaust system.

Oil cooler system all fitted.

Water system completed.

I managed to take this shot last night.

I