supradibbs

which suspension  

54 members have voted

1. 1. which suspension

• HKS Hipermax 3
    • TEIN Superstreet
    • JIC Magic
    • Other please state

I can set a car up on 20 inch wheels, but being the sort of guy that tends to call a spade a shovel I always warn people that the car will be better on a smaller rim, correct offset, near stock width, et cetera. For sure I can set yours up on that set up, no problem :) I just like to see them working optimally, but so many of you insist on following fashion, rather than the textbook ;)

It's funny, on every aspect of the car I'm prepared to allow function over form, but when it comes to wheels, I dunno, I just don't think I'd feel the same about the car if it wasn't sat on some nice (big) rims :D,

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am building Wes a rather nice custom set up, maybe he'll share pics and results with the board when it's done. It will be biased quite strongly for track day usage on road legal tyres, but springs, dampers and height adjustability will all be bespoke. It should prove a very effective track day set up, time will tell... it ain't cheap though ;)

It's funny, on every aspect of the car I'm prepared to allow function over form, but when it comes to wheels, I dunno, I just don't think I'd feel the same about the car if it wasn't sat on some nice (big) rims :D,

Coming from a world where most of the rims I deal with are wider than their diameter I never even consider this. If it goes better, but looks like a refugee from the 60's I don't care :) I can see where you are coming from though, and sympathise with those who want the look of a filled arch, and a low car, but short of spending a lot more than the car's worth on doing it properly it will be a big compromise.

I can set a car up on 20 inch wheels, but being the sort of guy that tends to call a spade a shovel I always warn people that the car will be better on a smaller rim, correct offset, near stock width, et cetera. For sure I can set yours up on that set up, no problem :) I just like to see them working optimally, but so many of you insist on following fashion, rather than the textbook ;)

Thanks what I wanted to hear...I think :D

Probably going a bit off topic here, but any chance you could fit me in before 9th March? Perhaps I should give you a call over the weekend :)

but so many of you insist on following fashion, rather than the textbook ;)

this is something i allways strugle with when reading threads like this, i remember back to the days when i bought my stock car with 16",s and the car went round corners like an old matress the slightest bump or undulation in the corner had the car wallowing all over the place the tyre roll on the 50 profile tyres was awefull, granted it probably had crap tyres on but the difference with 18",s was huge, the same corner could be approached at far higher speed and the car felt much more predictable and not prone to any wallowing, am i missing the point here with stock is best

I'll never understand Chris' thoughts on this either, other than maybe the supra was made to handle best with that set up. If that is the case though, why does every performance tuner in Japan fit bigger wheels and coilovers? Baffling. I need to do a lap at the ring in a CW prepped car.

On the topic of suspension, I'm soon departing the tired springs and worn billies for Tein SS'. The geo will be the hard part, but I'm bribing Chris to fly down and give me a hand. How much beer, booze, and BBQ do you think it will take?

Please Chris take no offence to this

I feel Chris mind is very oritated towards track setups i doubt that a adverage driver like myself would feel a massive diffrence between his setup and that of a supra with new oem parts nice setup coilovers and 19s as for me and like so many others am not after a corner assult monster just something that feels a little more planted and positive.

I know from stuff i have read that Chris does superb work and knows his stuff and i would certainly be using his services should i ever do some track days in the future.

I'll never understand Chris' thoughts on this either, other than maybe the supra was made to handle best with that set up. If that is the case though, why does every performance tuner in Japan fit bigger wheels and coilovers? Baffling.

because they're trying to sell their stuff or the stuff of their sponsers and because there is no doubt that nice/large wheels look better.

Also i think Chris's main problem is with wheels both large diameter and low offsets, i think regarding dampers he just see's alot of the Jap stuff as expensive for what they are, not that they are useless per se just that they don't last as well (or certainly haven't in the past) and that the height adjustability is rarely used after initial setup etc.

Problem with those is there's no real experience with them yet on UK roads (theres only one customer that I know of that has them)

There are a couple of UK members with the new Hypermax III's fitted and have feed back some positive comments on the forum.

I've also sold a few sets to Australian customers who have been very happy with the results.

There are a couple of UK members with the new Hypermax III's fitted and have feed back some positive comments on the forum.

I've also sold a few sets to Australian customers who have been very happy with the results.

im very happy and for the price you sold it too me im very happy seeing as these in the uk are expensive;)

Matey,

Instead of throwing all the quid away on expensive coilovers .... Maybe you can consider getting the Tein SS and improving other parts of your suspension as well.

When my stock suspension went, I considered the HKS Hipermax also, but I ended up going with Tein SS, TRD Sway Bars and Cusco tower bars.

The car sits on 18" wheels, and granted I've never driven a pricey super car or touring car, I have had the car with this setup for 6 months now, and everytime I go out for a drive in it, I am still amazed at how well it handles ..... seems to just pull around corners.

I have kept it at the ride height it came with, but what I've found is that, you need to play with the Tein SS ride adjustment to find what best suits the roads you drive on most frequently. As, on the hardest setting, the car drives like crap .... bumps all over the road. On the softest setting, the car seems to sag and feel unconfident.

Matey,

Instead of throwing all the quid away on expensive coilovers .... Maybe you can consider getting the Tein SS and improving other parts of your suspension as well.

When my stock suspension went, I considered the HKS Hipermax also, but I ended up going with Tein SS, TRD Sway Bars and Cusco tower bars.

The car sits on 18" wheels, and granted I've never driven a pricey super car or touring car, I have had the car with this setup for 6 months now, and everytime I go out for a drive in it, I am still amazed at how well it handles ..... seems to just pull around corners.

I have kept it at the ride height it came with, but what I've found is that, you need to play with the Tein SS ride adjustment to find what best suits the roads you drive on most frequently. As, on the hardest setting, the car drives like crap .... bumps all over the road. On the softest setting, the car seems to sag and feel unconfident.

Should of said

Also installing

R2 complete bush kit

Rear strut brace

Roll cage

Sway Bars

And also looking at fitting new control arms

I feel Chris mind is very oritated towards track setups i doubt that a adverage driver like myself would feel a massive diffrence between his setup and that of a supra with new oem parts nice setup coilovers and 19s as for me and like so many others am not after a corner assult monster just something that feels a little more planted and positive.

Honestly matey, it could not be further from the truth; on road the car is far more stable and safe now I am on CW setup, FAR more traction in every aspect and FAR more comfort.

The way I see it is that track handling is pretty easy; tracks are flat! whereas you are dealing with every kind of horrendous 3d movement on a road surface; all the old suspension I had was relatively good on track, but pretty hopeless by comparison on road.

You can sell your 19's, buy some used 18's and change the suspension all to a reasonable budget if you spend some time looking, and I cannot recommend his setup strongly enough. Just wait until you need a new set of tyres :)

The car is now an absolute dream to drive; performance, safety, ease, comfort, directional stability, but am yet to try on track.

lol at the size 14 and sock comment, so true!

Purely to look Phat Andy :D

I loved my old 19" wheels.. really did, they are away getting refurbed now.. up for sale soon, and the new 18's I chose on weight not looks, but the way the car drives now, I could not go back...:(

I'm after the best drivers car now, tired of trading handling for looks... like walking round in a muscle suit but being unable to lift a pint!

I loved my old 19" wheels.. really did, they are away getting refurbed now.. up for sale soon, and the new 18's I chose on weight not looks, but the way the car drives now, I could not go back...:(

I'm after the best drivers car now, tired of trading handling for looks... like walking round in a muscle suit but being unable to lift a pint!

I know bud, one day I will very reluctantly drop the 19s for a set of TE37's on 18's, you also get a much wider choice of tyres on 18's (well in R888s anyway)