My new Supra/rebuilding Dude's drag car

Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More than welcome chap.... happy to see bits going to use. :)

And it wasn't a complete donation, we exchanged bits :)

All good Gav and thanks once again :) Hope Mel likes the new ICE :D

The loom is remarkably intact, only a few minor things chopped in (Clifford alarm, speedo conversion and a couple of unexplained LED's :search: ). The only loom part that seems missing is the drivers door one, do you remember if that came out of the donor? This one part seems to be a little hard to come by for some reason!

Had some time free this afternoon so started to tackle the first problems, the junk inside the car. A clear out found quite a few more components, the interior is only lacking a of the larger bits, almost all panels are in place and in great condition.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5828/newsup22pf2.th.jpg

Next job to do on the inside is to sort out the wiring loom. John had a massive amount of aftermarket kit installed in this car (NOS, CO2 spray, line lock, a few gauges, relocated battery and a seemingly complex clifford alarm) and much of the wiring remains in place. All this needs to come out so I can get back to just the stock loom, however it came as no surprise to see it has been hacked up pretty bad... The worse part is someones cut the wires off that go to the heather control unit, so either need to rewire 50+ wires, or replace the entire loom. Nightmare. Here's a pic of what I found after removing a few panels:

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/4638/newsup17ut7.th.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9610/newsup18ac8.th.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2773/newsup19sk1.th.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6993/newsup20kc5.th.jpg

Most of the above is aftermarket and needs to come out. I got as far as removing the line lock wiring, some gauge wiring, the CO2 spray kit and about half of the clifford alarm. The ignition wiring has been hacked extensively so will need to spend some more time on this next week to remove the final bits of the alarm. Here's how it is now after removing half a binbag full of wires:

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1700/newsup15zf2.th.jpg

Doors, bonnet, bumper, lights and a few other bits arrive this weekend, skirts next week, so the car should at least be water tight and 'looking' okay by next weekend.

Good on you :) What spec for the engine?

I was originally looking to get a full cutout LS1/LS2, but after a lot of research think It'll be far more cost effective to go for an older GM motor. Either it'll be an expensive modern unit, or older carb model (no ECU's to worry about there :D ). One way or another it will be at least 5.7 litre NA. The priority for now is to sort out the body and suspension, to make it water tight and safe to move around :)

I was originally looking to get a full cutout LS1/LS2, but after a lot of research think It'll be far more cost effective to go for an older GM motor. Either it'll be an expensive modern unit, or older carb model (no ECU's to worry about there :D ). One way or another it will be at least 5.7 litre NA. The priority for now is to sort out the body and suspension, to make it water tight and safe to move around :)

Oh boy! V8 old school muscle :cool: Sounds like a great project! When do you think it might be ready? I can totally understand you doing something like this! I must say i keep getting itch feet over mine now its kind off done :(

Good luck with it matey :) Top project :thumbs:

Oh boy! V8 old school muscle :cool: Sounds like a great project! When do you think it might be ready? I can totally understand you doing something like this! I must say i keep getting itch feet over mine now its kind off done :(

and I keep saying

STOP !
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_angry.gif
you're happy here, and you love your car :D

Mike

It won't be running anytime soon, perhaps late this year if all goes well with my house move.

The engine and gearbox build will be the biggest part of the project (time and money wise) and I hope to work on that during the summer. As mentioned, for now I just need to get it water tight, looking complete and safe to move around. My house is going up for sale in the next few weeks so doing want a rough looking shell sat on the driveway.

Just a short update to say that the bonnet, doors and front bumper lip were picked up today (8 hour round trip!). Picking up the front and rear lights tomorrow along with the front bumper (thankfully, this time both bits are only in West London, so only a 2 hour trip needed)

The doors are in great condition but due to misunderstanding on my part one lacks the window support & winder mechanism so doesn't look like it'll be water tight until I get those parts. I'm also missing the original barrels, hopefully Terry can track them down (please!)

Bonnet was also near mint, but Parcel farce fecked up and rounded off two edges. It'll do for now though and should be fixable.

Anyone in Reading tomorrow who want's to lend a hand fitting the doors on bonnet? The doors are incredibly heavy so no chance I can do it on my own :D

how long a job mate? I'm going to struggle to be honest as got loads of wedding stuff to sort as didn't do any today:innocent:

but happy to help if I can as you've done me favors in the past...

Thats very kind of you to offer Darren :) It should be about 20-30 mins to do the doors, maybe 15 mins for the bonnet (not tried it before so thats just a guess!).

If time is a problem, don't worry mate, I wouldn't want to upset any wedding plans :D

The venue falling through with 6 months to go, and my one of the best man's not coming from Thailand anymore, is worse than spending 30mins helping you out :)

PM me your address and I'l give you a shout, if you're up first thing it might be a good time as got to do the church thing etc. (and hopefully go for a little spin to clear some oil:))

Another little update...

Managed to get most of the aftermarket wiring out today and have retraced all the stock cabling, just need to get the soldering iron out to fix all the broken connections. Also need to replace the heater control plugs, which will be a time consuming job! Another bin bag full of wires were removed! (Sorry for the bad pic, it was getting dark and only have a camera phone)

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9864/newsup25aj2.th.jpg

Also swapped the wheels over from Terry's borrowed ones to the set from Gav. This allowed a check over of the suspension. Some good news and some bad:

- Good it that the entire front suspension is in place and in great condition. Brakes are missing and the brake pipe has been snapped on both sides

- Bad is that the both rear hubs are knackered, although the calipers and braided brakes lines are intact and servicable. Need to get new upper and lower wishbones for the rear as they were swapped out while at pheonix

Managed to fit the bonnet (on my own :D ) and doors (with a little help!). The drivers door is missing the window right now as I can't fit it due to missing regulator and mechanism. Will be picking these up on Saturday from Supradibbs :) Passenger door was a perfect fit and alligned first time, also refitted the door card and centre console

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/6710/newsup26gc1.th.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6717/newsup27ab7.th.jpg

Had a mix up with the lights, so will try and pick them and the bumper up tomorrow instead :)

HUGE thanks to Razza for his help today with the doors, there's no way I could have managed that on my own! Thanks mate! Your car looked stunning to :D

Total budget so far: £219.98