Genuine TRD3000 GT VVTI in Royal Sapphire Pearl

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Is it Branners ?

ahh if only. without even looking at the price I know I cant afford it.

My plan was to eventually get a widebody supra but as I can only just squash a stock body in my garage the widebody is out of the question.

Oh, and Im not a big fan of the TRD widebody, its too subtle for my liking. If I paid £20k for a car I need it to stand out from the crowd, even at a Supra meet.

JB

HISTORY OF TRD 3000GT

The TRD 3000GT was first shown at the 1994 Tokyo Auto Salon much to the delight of Toyota fans and tuning car fans in general. The JZA80 Toyota Supra was already well recieved, and for TRD to bring out such extreme parts for it was sensational at the time. The TRD 3000GT body kit extended the guards by 50mm changing much of the entire exterior of the car, leading some people to belive it were a low production vehicle along the lines of RUF Automobile GmbH (Porsche).

The JGTC Supra wore the 3000GT aero parts in the final race of the '94 season and showed exceptional speed, which would lead TRD to further hone the aero parts to gain the best performance possible. There are two types of rear wing available, although the 'Type R' wing is no longer produced. Except for the Type R wing, all TRD 3000GT parts are still available according to the TRD website, although the actual stock availabilty isn't known.

The TRD 3000GT was never actually sold as a complete car, although cars were sold with the full catalogue installed. For many this was a very expensive option, but it's possible to find JZA80 Supras with various genuine parts installed to make a car which is built according to their budgets. The TRD 3000GT bonnet, for example, is one part which despite costing 210,000 yen was a popular addition amongst Supra owners. A complete TRD 3000GT with the parts installed by Toyota, while not impossible to find, are still one of the most sought after JZA80s.

As is typical amongst the Japanese 'Works Tuners' (TRD, Nismo, Mugen, STi, Mazdaspeed, Ralliart etc), the engine of the TRD 3000GT at the time of it's release was left close to standard, but with a full exhaust system and suspension modifications added to give a reasonable upgrade in performance over the already powerful base car. Later, engine packages were available which were released in stages going from mild street performance to 'hard tuned' packages illegal for street use. The original 1994 debut car though was all about properly functioning aerodynamics as opposed to outright speed, with Toyota investing a lot more financially into developing the 3000GT kit than previous attempts, using wind tunnel testing and 3D simulations to gain the best compromise between functionality and appearance. The engine was completely stock at the time of the TRD 3000GTs announcement, but later upgrades were developed for big increases in horsepower.

The complete wide body TRD 3000GT kit including front fenders, rear fenders, side skirts and front and rear bumpers weighed in at 971,250 yen(!), with the addition of the aero bonnet (210,000 yen) and the rear wing (140,000 yen) bringing the total package price to 1,321,250 yen… not including installation…

HISTORY OF TRD 3000GT

The TRD 3000GT was first shown at the 1994 Tokyo Auto Salon much to the delight of Toyota fans and tuning car fans in general. The JZA80 Toyota Supra was already well recieved, and for TRD to bring out such extreme parts for it was sensational at the time. The TRD 3000GT body kit extended the guards by 50mm changing much of the entire exterior of the car, leading some people to belive it were a low production vehicle along the lines of RUF Automobile GmbH (Porsche).

The JGTC Supra wore the 3000GT aero parts in the final race of the '94 season and showed exceptional speed, which would lead TRD to further hone the aero parts to gain the best performance possible. There are two types of rear wing available, although the 'Type R' wing is no longer produced. Except for the Type R wing, all TRD 3000GT parts are still available according to the TRD website, although the actual stock availabilty isn't known.

The TRD 3000GT was never actually sold as a complete car, although cars were sold with the full catalogue installed. For many this was a very expensive option, but it's possible to find JZA80 Supras with various genuine parts installed to make a car which is built according to their budgets. The TRD 3000GT bonnet, for example, is one part which despite costing 210,000 yen was a popular addition amongst Supra owners. A complete TRD 3000GT with the parts installed by Toyota, while not impossible to find, are still one of the most sought after JZA80s.

As is typical amongst the Japanese 'Works Tuners' (TRD, Nismo, Mugen, STi, Mazdaspeed, Ralliart etc), the engine of the TRD 3000GT at the time of it's release was left close to standard, but with a full exhaust system and suspension modifications added to give a reasonable upgrade in performance over the already powerful base car. Later, engine packages were available which were released in stages going from mild street performance to 'hard tuned' packages illegal for street use. The original 1994 debut car though was all about properly functioning aerodynamics as opposed to outright speed, with Toyota investing a lot more financially into developing the 3000GT kit than previous attempts, using wind tunnel testing and 3D simulations to gain the best compromise between functionality and appearance. The engine was completely stock at the time of the TRD 3000GTs announcement, but later upgrades were developed for big increases in horsepower.

The complete wide body TRD 3000GT kit including front fenders, rear fenders, side skirts and front and rear bumpers weighed in at 971,250 yen(!), with the addition of the aero bonnet (210,000 yen) and the rear wing (140,000 yen) bringing the total package price to 1,321,250 yen… not including installation…

were you get this info from ??? can you explain the ja80 and jza80 vins ?

Is it not to do with the Toyota Technocraft VIN plate they attach to the cars ?

Yes, the standard Toyota car comes with a JZA80 VIN but, the T-TechnoCraft VIN plate starts with JA810 right ?

You can still see the standard Toyota VIN plate on the blue car.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70146&d=1201601717

this is just a blog its not an official comfirmation..

Hi Jurgen

Sorry got it from Blog

http://www.7tune.com/?p=35,

posted this as blog with my car http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=147167&highlight=trd3000gt

but some of the info in blog is taken off TRD Technocraft Website and the Wiki website also states "Toyota also did the same with their Supra Twin Turbo model, offering a conversion service to transform these cars into a TRD3000GT[2]."

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedysta:Wiewiorpl/brudnopis#SW20_TRD2000GT

Maybe the grage means when the car was bought new it was then sent to TRD Technocraft to have kit fitted

Just out of curiosity was the white TRD3000GT also a VVTI, maybe this is why TRD VIN is JA80 as opposed to mine

http://i1.bebo.com/042a/7/large/2008/04/21/18/20295479a7517776389l.jpg

No offence but yours is so wonky it looks fake.

Thanks Alex, I will put up proper photo tomorrow

It looks wonky due to the angle of the photo, have offical docs at home from TRD Technocraft too. So put that in your pipe and smoke it

You dont just start calling other peoples cars fake without some solid evidence, its just not cricket a good day to you sir

Is it not to do with the Toyota Technocraft VIN plate they attach to the cars ?

Yes, the standard Toyota car comes with a JZA80 VIN but, the T-TechnoCraft VIN plate starts with JA810 right ?

You can still see the standard Toyota VIN plate on the blue car.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=70146&d=1201601717

yes this is correct it has the normal chassis number and the trd vins have say ja80.. but others are jza80..

i have 3 trd cars now..

the white usa one ja80

the black trd fitted later in life had jza80

and the blue one has ja80

you can see from the photos the blue car and white car are factory fitted from new..(as i have been told)

the black one was nice but i didnt sell as TRD as i knew it was not original toyota trd one..

the black one looked like one but the quality was just not quite the same..

Guys I can expalin the TRD Vin Plates

jza80 compared to ja80

Explantion

VIN JA80 (Post 96.5 production)

If you take alook at the Parts list below, you will notice the part is JA80 because it was manufactured from 96.5 in conjuction with the facelift Supra (not too sure if there any dementional differences between the non-facelift and Facelift model but different holes for side light in front bumper are there)

Description Part No. Code List Price(JPY) Remarks

Wide body kit 51700-JA800 H 925, 000 FRP made, -96.5

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_aero-supra.html

VIN JZA80 (Post 94 production to 96.5)

The JZA80 Parts where for the non-facelift model, small little differences like side lights not present

Why not 1993 when the Supra was produced??

The TRD3000GT kit was release by TRD at the 1994 Tokyo auto Salon

Section 1994

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toyota-ttc.co.jp%2Fhistory%2Ftrd1990.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Conclusion

If you car has the TRD JA80 VIN it was kitted out by TRD Technocraft post middle of 1996 and if you car has TRD JZA80 it was kitted out by TRD Technocraft during 1994 to mid 1996.

This brings me to the overall conclusion if a car has a TRD VIN it is an offical TRD car, the VIN basically illustrates what time frame the cars where kitted out by TRD

Time frame of production by TRD Technocraft

TRD JA80 VIN: 96.5 - Present

TRD JZA80 VIN: 94.0 - 96.5

The TRD VIN Plate idenifies what year TRD Technocraft kitted the car out

Example:

A Supra could be producted by Toyota in 1993 and Kitted out by TRD Technocraft post 96.5 illustrate by a TRDJA80VIN

A Supra could be producted by Toyota in 1993 and Kitted out by TRD Technocraft pre 96.5 illustrate by a TRDJZA80VIN

Thanks Alex, I will put up proper photo tomorrow

It looks wonky due to the angle of the photo, have offical docs at home from TRD Technocraft too. So put that in your pipe and smoke it

You dont just start calling other peoples cars fake without some solid evidence, its just not cricket a good day to you sir

I wasn't saying it WAS fake...just that it's a pretty poor job compared to the one Jurgen posted. Shame really.

I wasn't saying it WAS fake...just that it's a pretty poor job compared to the one Jurgen posted. Shame really.

The body or how the VIN Plate is on?

Pic of Vin was taken by Miguel in Japan and the car was filthy, thats why pic is dodgy

I have to take proper one for photoshoot

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.