The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stoping distance on "big brake kits"

paul mac

that explains your lack of consideration to future generations then

Sorry Matt, I'm with Chris on this one. All this climate change BS is just a ploy by politicians to gain your favoritism. Climate change is normal. The earth is big and tough and can shake us of it's back like a bunch of fleas. Besides, "I wanna to go fast." - Ricky Bobby

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Matt, I'm with Chris on this one. All this climate change BS is just a ploy by politicians to gain your favoritism. Climate change is normal. The earth is big and tough and can shake us of it's back like a bunch of fleas. Besides, "I wanna to go fast." - Ricky Bobby

:goodpost:

Up until the last 48 hours or so this was a pretty good technical read.

never mind Alex, sticks and stones, what i find a bit hard to take is the guy pm'ed me to ask advise on auto coolers last night then he slags off my "garden shed" (btw i have a garage not a shed), it makes me wonder is this another 15 year old dreamer sat in his mums house or is he just a muppet, im sure time will tell either way, good thread none the less

it wasn't aimed at you, the post was a general comment on how people get mislead into buying something without there being any substantial proof.

the joke about sticking your tyres to the road for better grip , was just a joke. Atleast i though it was funny.

The swearing bit is actually a product that has a TM and is widely available at most hardware stores.

in general the thread was good.

no need feel that it was aimed at you in any way.

if i was aiming things at individuals i would PM them and say it.

the bit about the shed is an expression, but is also quite true. it came from the logic that a lot of people just buy mods because everyone else has them, the more the better scenario. most of them being able to just bolt on at home, (in your shed)

if you would like to know my age it is cleary displayed in my profile , i think.

my credibility in this forum might be not that high in your opinion but as i can assure you, i am no 15 year old sitting at home with my mum.

if you would like to know what i do in life and where i reside just ask.

this forum is good in general though, and has quite a lot of tech info that is readily available.

My supra is a bit of fun to me thats it, and so is this forum.

I would just like to say that when i first joined this forum and asked loads of questions certain individuals did nothing but post pi** taking comments.

regards

matt

Oh puhlease :rlol: best you burn your car then so no-one can ever drive it again, and stop importing pointless, frivolous, and unneccessary heavy stuff from abroad, think of the freight cost to the environment! All that air traffic makes trees cry :cry:

Never have I seen such big stones thrown in such a glass house :D

-Ian

PS yes this should be pruned off too but I couldn't resist responding to such rampant hypocrisy :p

Thread Hijack!!!

OMG!!!

Next you'll be saying they should all be electric as that's clean...oh no wait that comes from Coal and Gas fired powerstations! (We need Nuclear and fast).

In the grand scheme of things petrol powered machines are being made scapegoats for it all! Why? Well it's simple, they can tax it and make more money. The govt don't really give a s*** about the environment, they care about money and power.

The Chinese, Americans, Russians and Indians arn't doing anything about the pollution that industry creates and that's far far greater than a motorsports series. The engines in F1 etc will be massively efficient as they extract every last joule of energy that they can....a cow farting in the field next door will be worse!

I cannot believe that you would have a pop at some individual for wanting to have some fun, his fun is so insignificant it's untrue...it's not like he's in the Amazon chopping down tree's over an area the size of Wales every year!

Oh puhlease :rlol: best you burn your car then so no-one can ever drive it again, and stop importing pointless, frivolous, and unneccessary heavy stuff from abroad, think of the freight cost to the environment! All that air traffic makes trees cry :cry:

-Ian

PS yes this should be pruned off too but I couldn't resist responding to such rampant hypocrisy :p

Again, you lack of attention to detail has produced your usual un-thought out style of response. I’m not the one that is objecting to any new legislation, if they wanna legislate, then go on, I’m all for it, something has to be done, but I aint going out and being the only one binning my supra................... comprende? - READ BETWEEN THE LINES!

Oh puhlease :rlol: best you burn your car then

Brilliant way of helping the environment! burning plastic, oils and rubber! durh! :rlol:

Next you'll be saying they should all be electric as that's clean...oh no wait that comes from Coal and Gas fired powerstations! (We need Nuclear and fast).

So producing energy more efficently in one place and distrubuting that way instead of us all having our own power plants is worse? :blink: well, we need more renewable power stations as well as nuke ones, fusion reactors would sort everything out, but until then, more money should be invested in tidal sources and wind

I cannot believe that you would have a pop at some individual for wanting to have some fun, his fun is so insignificant it's untrue...it's not like he's in the Amazon chopping down tree's over an area the size of Wales every year!

Its the straw that broke the camels back, hes always harping on about how the government should allow him to do what ever he wants to the environment. So, some individual, how about every individual, not that insignificant really. All those "individuals" as you say (and to use your analogy) chopping down a single tree each amounts to alot of trees

Any time you want the thread pruning Paul, just ask ;)

-Ian

no i think its all good Ian, just let the thread die quietly in peace :amen:, highlights for me were Nic getting told off for "excesive pimping :angrymod:", KERS, Chris W "bringin on WW3:eow:", infractions for swearing:banned:, garden sheds, nuclear power :bang:and climate change, oh and i think we had some stuff about brakes in there as well :)

-Ian

Thread Hijack!!!

OMG!!!

In the grand scheme of things petrol powered machines are being made scapegoats for it all! Why? Well it's simple, they can tax it and make more money. The govt don't really give a s*** about the environment, they care about money and power.

The Chinese, Americans, Russians and Indians arn't doing anything about the pollution that industry creates and that's far far greater than a motorsports series. The engines in F1 etc will be massively efficient as they extract every last joule of energy that they can....a cow farting in the field next door will be worse!

:D Some most excellent points made there

no i think its all good Ian, just let the thread die quietly in peace :amen:, highlights for me were Nic getting told off for "excesive pimping :angrymod:", KERS, Chris W "bringin on WW3:eow:", infractions for swearing:banned:, garden sheds, nuclear power :bang:and climate change, oh and i think we had some stuff about brakes in there as well :)

I think I missed that bit...;)

now that is some excellent duct work to a cooler and a subject dear to my heart, people dont realise without a total seal duct a big percentage of the cooling air is lost as it goes round, under, over etc i have both my tranny coolers on the other side fully ducted with 1mm sheet ally

ps love the brake duct as well

130_0707_29_z%2B1995_toyota_supra%2Bengine_components.jpg

now that is some excellent duct work to a cooler and a subject dear to my heart, people dont realise without a total seal duct a big percentage of the cooling air is lost as it goes round, under, over etc i have both my tranny coolers on the other side fully ducted with 1mm sheet ally

ps love the brake duct as well

Yes, I have been keeping an eye out for ducting for some time now, it's good for the Oil cooler but, does it have an impact on the brake cooling with that side of the front bumper NOW taking the air feed from them ?

Is that not the point of the slats in the plastic wheel arch for extra cooling to the brake area ??

wouldn't this be comparable to the stock IC on the other side though?

Also won't the same or very nearly the same amount of air get through to the brakes it will just be a bit warmer than before the cooler was there?

To which I'd ask - would it be better to have things:

1. As per the drivers side (very limited air reaching the brakes due to the stock IC, but the air that does is cool), or;

2. As per the passenger side with a modified cooler (allowing air to reach the brakes more easily, but that air is hot)?

The first picture shows JUST how it should be done, very nice! The linked pic shows how a lot of people do it, better than nothing, far from ideal.

• 1 year later...

I make no apologies for bringing this thread back to the top again but I reckon that all of you who are currently considering bigger brake kits for your Supra should give this a read first; more specifically, you should check out Chris Wilson’s #32 post which kind of underpins the whole argument of wanting bigger brakes.

I was just about to spend 3.5K on AP Brakes until I read this thread. I now realise that I was barking up the wrong tree and that all I needed was a better understanding of how brakes actually functioned, as opposed to getting dazzled by lots of ‘pots’ and a designer manufacturers name

Personally speaking, I won’t be tracking my car and I don’t drive like a loon so a set of UK Brakes with good hard biting pads and discs will more than do the job. In fact, it is very apparent that the UK specs will outperform most of the better upgrade packages and by some at that!

Have a look at the table in the link and check out the following stats for yourself (figures in Braking Horsepower):

http://planetsoarer.com/suprabrakesII/SupraBrakeUpgrade.htm

Position – 5: Supra TT 4-Pots with Mintex Grooved discs: 1760

Position – 7: Brembo/AP-Racing 6-Pots with 355mm discs: 1680

Position – 9: Supra 4-Pots standard discs and pads: 1665

I may have to spend a few hundred quid on discs and pads but that will be money well spent.

Oh yes, almost forgot: Chris, you're one bloody knowledgeable fellow:Pling:

Edited by SupraAyf
spelling (see edit history)

I make no apologies for bringing this thread back to the top again but I reckon that all of you who are currently considering bigger brake kits for your Supra should give this a read first; more specifically, you should check out Chris Wilson’s #32 post which kind of underpins the whole argument of wanting bigger brakes.

I was just about to spend 3.5K on AP Brakes until I read this thread. I now realise that I was barking up the wrong tree and that all I needed was a better understanding of how brakes actually functioned, as opposed to getting dazzled by lots of ‘pots’ and a designer manufacturers name

Personally speaking, I won’t be tracking my car and I don’t drive like a loon so a set of UK Brakes with good hard biting pads and discs will more than do the job. In fact, it is very apparent that the UK specs will outperform most of the better upgrade packages and by some at that!

Have a look at the table on the link and check out the following stats for yourself (figures in Braking Horsepower):

http://planetsoarer.com/suprabrakesII/SupraBrakeUpgrade.htm

Position – 5: Supra TT 4-Pots with Mintex Grooved discs: 1760

Position – 7: Brembo/AP-Racing 6-Pots with 355mm discs: 1680

Position – 9: Supra 4-Pots standard discs and pads: 1665

I may have to spend a few hundred quid on discs and pads but that will be money well spent.

Oh yes, almost forgot: Chris, you're one bloody knowledgeable fellow:Pling:

Uk's do perform well, ive had them on both my mkiv's and been impressed with them but they look naff when compared to a big set of AP/brembos, and for some people (me included and i susspect you?) that does mean a lot.

Uk's do perform well, ive had them on both my mkiv's and been impressed with them but they look naff when compared to a big set of AP/brembos, and for some people (me included and i susspect you?) that does mean a lot.

Exactly Jamie mate! They do look naff but 3700 squidlies equates to 40% of a new Hayabusa on the 1st April.:cool:

I think my head will have to rule my heart on this occassion