The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin turbo Vs Single Turbo

Axle

Which set-up do you prefer - Twin Turbo or Single?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which set-up do you prefer - Twin Turbo or Single?

What? :blink:

I posted up to say that not many people on the forum had experience of both single and twins - fact.

I said that you would be better off doing a search - fact

What was immature about that?

CJ you know full well mate. I think even members in the blind could read into your last line and the winky..

Anyway nevermind CJ, lets let old dogs rest..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CJ you know full well mate. I think even members in the blind could read into your last line and the winky..

Anyway nevermind CJ, lets let old dogs rest..

CJ is one of the more knowledgable persons on this topic, he's probably owned more Supra's than anyone on this board (stock, modded and one very special single)

What he's said is correct - there is an enormous amount of information on the forum about single turbo conversions. Have a good search on the topic and I'm sure almost all questions will be answered. Your next one needs to be budget and provided you don't pass out from that, turbo choice (if of course the single conversion is for you ;) )

I can`t wait to get mine up and running. The reason ive gone single is the frustration of waiting for the 2nd tubby to kick in and even then i found it wanting, i reckon i`d got to a stage where bpu wasent quick enough especially on the track, so watch this space.

I'd like to go single at some stage, but the expensive horror storries I've seen on here kind of put me off.

The thought of p******g £1,000s away and still having issues with the car fills me with dread.:(

I do know there are some well sorted singles out there, but I wonder what the success / failure rate is for single conversions?

The single setup is much simpler than the TT setup, but you are relying on the tuner doing a proper installation job and the mapper doing a proper job. The big expense in the single conversion is, sadly, parts !

in my case ,crap tuners, cost me way more than parts for it:(

I'm consistently amazed at how people manage to screw up a single conversion. I think sometimes it's actually more difficult to do a bad job!

A single turbo installation, having chosen the right bits (that's the difficult bit!) will be vastly more reliable than the stock set-up, simply due to the reduced number of components / mechanism's involved.

As I said though, choosing the right components for the job is the difficult part of the installation, but having said that, if you listen to the few people on here that have been doing single conversions for any amount of time (check the FAQ's and make a note of the people that are writing them is a good start) then you'll struggle to go wrong.

Anyway, back on topic. Big single or twins.... me I'd do both ;)

Hey guys I thought the whole point of a forum was to have disccusions and comparisons through chat,so what is the point of stating a thread only for some to say do a search,if everybody was to just search for info there would be no reason to have a forum would there?

Hey guys I thought the whole point of a forum was to have disccusions and comparisons through chat,so what is the point of stating a thread only for some to say do a search,if everybody was to just search for info there would be no reason to have a forum would there?

Because there is so much information out there that would probably not come up in a general conversation but would come up in a search. You could even save the search for future reference. :)

Asking people to do a search is not being flippant nor nasty. If anything, it is probably the best advice you could give.

Great minds think alike :D

Ive asked a few questions with very poor responce and guess its down to this, the search facility is good but i'd rather chat on here about.

Its good to talk :)

I've had a TT for a few years. It's an auto. I recently went for a ride in a properly built T61, 6spd. Result - There's no comparing the grin factor. Those who've posted above speak the truth. If you're gonna do any track time, find a 6spd. If you're gonna drag, build an auto. If you're gonna putt around town and don't have the funds to go single, it's best to build up to BPU safely and properly and be happy with it.

Oh, it's wise to be nice to other forum members when you're new to a forum Bob. These are the people you may some day call friend and hope to see at meets. They're also the wellspring of knowledge and experience from which you will drink. The 'search' tab is there for everyone, including new people, to learn from those who have asked the same question before. Generating new threads on the same topic that's been answered before just generates a longer list for others to dig through when looking through relevant information and who likes to follow 5 links to different threads. On that note, welcome to the forum.

im sure this has been discussed before. do a search mate:p

How it's been built, who built it, and how it's been mapped is the key. I've been in a dog of a T61 that would have been left for dead by a stock TT (except a motorway) especialy on a track, but I've also been in some absolute gems that would make mincemeat of a TT.

Given the choice I'd rather have two aftermarket turbos than just the one, because:

a) I'm compensating

b) It looks nicer

c) The V5 says twin turbo

I think it really depends what you want from the car.

My T-61 6sp is nice, it spools quickly and gives a great power kick, but Im still tempted to go back to a twin turbo tiptronic for ease of driving and all round fun with relaxed driving. But then Im getting old and finding it hard to justify even getting the supra out of the garage let alone running it hard.

JB

Good thread...some great posts from Homer too. I love the TT BPU for round the town driving, however I am seriously tempted to go down the single route for that monster performance at higher revs.....despite realising that I wont be able to enjoy that performance around London.

I said Tempted....havent made a decision yet :D

EDIT: I have experienced a single turbo only ONCE and I dont believe that was a very well setup car which is why I refrain from submitting an answer to this poll.

anyone in or around London that has a well tuned single that wants to take me out of a spin.....feel free to drop me a line :D