The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin turbo Vs Single Turbo

Axle

Which set-up do you prefer - Twin Turbo or Single?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which set-up do you prefer - Twin Turbo or Single?

I've driven stock, BPU, BPU TTC with extra bits and bobs, BPU hybrids set up for drag racing and finally T61 current setup. Small single wins hands down IMO. It's devestatingly quick road car. I've yet to try a bigger turbo and to be honest don't think I will until it's engine rebuild time and I get to rethink the great scheme of things. I love the way the car goes in this setup. Now I've just got to quieten her down a bit to get back to the 'Ring.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've owned a bpu manual, a big single manual and now own a mint bpu auto, i can honestly say i love them all but for me the bpu auto wins hands down, no clutch problem's, the kick down is great, relaxing on long journey's and touch wood has been very reliable compared to my single. It all depends on how you drive and how often your car is used, everytime you get in a single it's like the armagedon mate and there is no need for that sort of power on todays road's imho

I've been holding off replying to this thread until i got my car back :) I've gone from stock to BPU to Basic single to advanced single(bar the built bottom end) and the difference is amazing!!!! My single now is so drivable (even with crap tyre's which are about to be changed) but the thing that amazes me now is how close to stock the car is now when just driving about. Their is no loud noise(from exhaust etc), really quite smooth considering the BL+3200 and 264 cams, starts from hot or cold etc etc.

As others have said its all in the tune and parts and i must say that Michel and Ryan really are excellent in what they do!!!!

I have been lucky enough to own a T78 Single Auto, A T04R Single Auto, T04R Single Manual and a Stock TT Manual (now going towards BPU), the last two being my current cars, I love the way the stock car drives, very confident handling, power is there all the time, very quiet a true GT car, the single is a real handful on boost and is an exciting car to own and drive but you need very deep pockets IMO

If I was to start all over again I would have a TT6 BPU and leave it at that

Great minds think alike :D

Ive asked a few questions with very poor responce and guess its down to this, the search facility is good but i'd rather chat on here about.

Its good to talk :)

My thoughts exactly.

However i can see how it could annoy some people as it becomes repetitive to some.

Although im apart of a huge Powerlifting/bodybuilding forum and i have the same questions asked over and over again by new members, im still happy to repeat advice i have given before.

Because although advice is repetitive, conversation often isnt.

But anyway i think its turnt out to be a good topic nonetheless.

Thanks to all that have contributed to a decent thread anyway.. :grouphug:

Being a driver of a Twin Turbo and Single turbo vehicle, i do love the power delivery of a twin, but the pure animal of the single is so addictive.. I personally cant make my mind up though.

That's a good point. Do you single boys have to change the official description of the car to single turbo on the V5?

I certainly haven't and dont know of any that have. My V5 still says auto and not interested in changing it.

but Im still tempted to go back to a twin turbo tiptronic for ease of driving and all round fun with relaxed driving.

JB

Shame on you JB

the single is a real handful on boost and is an exciting car to own and drive but you need very deep pockets IMO

If I was to start all over again I would have a TT6 BPU and leave it at that

It certainly is a handfull and IMO not a daily driver once single. It becomes a toy to have fun in.

As far as sticking with BPU - do you REALLY have the will power :eyebrows: im dam sure i dont

hold on...is this true for the small single (550 bhp and less) singles too...?

I run a T61 513bhp @ the hubs. IMO yes, you can use it as a daily driver but i cant resist driving it as its designed to be and this isnt correct for road use.

I find the single on poor roads to be easier to drive than the TT, sounds crazy but the single drives off boost until 3500 rpm and behaves like an NA, the TT is on boost all the time and greater care is needed

see that makes sense...not to mention you have to careful of the transition point between 1 and 2 coming on. So I would assume that the single would be easier to drive (speculation).

Having said that...completely agree with Pig's comments - not being able to resist opening her up :D

hold on...is this true for the small single (550 bhp and less) singles too...?

Nope, not true for any single hence ....

Firstly I like the jekyll and hyde of a single, ie you can tootle around off boost and then unleash hell when you fancy it.

I find the single on poor roads to be easier to drive than the TT, sounds crazy but the single drives off boost until 3500 rpm and behaves like an NA, the TT is on boost all the time and greater care is needed

I found exactly the same with my stock TT auto. Come out of a bend or leave a junction and you can find you get +ve boost when you don't want it.