The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JAE 2008 and TOTB Date Conflict

Gaz Walker

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was a virgin at JAE last year and drank myself silly until retiring to the tent at 4.30 AM. I was f*$%ing horrified to hear Tom and the megaphone waking us up at 7.30 with tents down within the hour.

This year I shall be mostly drinking the same quantity but camping on the periphery so that I can get my beauty sleep :p

For the last few years Claire an I have been running JAE and in that time we have seen it grow whilst still retain the spirit and of what the event is all about. Throughout the years the event has become a bigger and bigger thing to manage and I for one have never taken a penny in profit from the event. Similarly Claire has only ever taken money to cover her costs in all that time. Yes it is a big event and yes there are a lot of people, but this kind of thing costs a lot of money to put on.

After being backed into a corner last year by the showground we decided to look at how we could keep the event alive and make it even better. As a result of some discussions a company came forward to take the show over and run it professionally. For months we have been in discussions with them and recently they have stopped returning our calls despite giving us a verbal assurance and a handshake on taking over the event. Now it seems they may not have been honest to their word, which saddens me greatly and Claire too. To further add to the pain one company is even promoting the fact that JAE is no longer!!!!!

As it is today both Claire and I feel very let down and, to make matters worse, the venue have now decided they don't want the event to continue. Right now I am trying to find a new venue and am looking for people to really take on the spirit of JAE and make it the people's event that it always has been and always will be.

If you have any ideas or can help - in ANY way - then I would love to hear from you. I can't speak for Claire but the wind is completely blown from my sails right now. JAE will continue and I personally will work to make sure it happens in 2008.

If you can help or want to offer your support please let me know.

Thank you and most sincerest of apologies for not keeping everyone up to speed with progress.

Thank you

John

and...

I can only reiterate what John has said in his post. I am totally gutted and feel that I've let people down by one my lack of communications about this current situation that we find outselves in. For the doubters who have listened to rumors as to reasons JAE isn't on...well if I may I would like to put some things straight. Neither John nor I have made a profit on JAE. We have both remortgaged our homes in order to bring JAE to Peterborough in 2006 & 2007.

I'm stepping down from organising JAE because last year my daughter was diagnosed with a rare disease and we raised money last year for the Royal Marsden Hospital, childrens unit for toys which was a great success and I thank everyone whom took part from the bottom of our hearts. John has taken JAE on by the horns now and I will always be supportive of this event, sadly though my personal circumstances says that I can not continue as an organiser which saddens me and haven't been able to put into words what has happened in the last few months.

JAE 2008 WILL happen and your continuing support and JAE spirit will continue for ever!

Thank you

Claire

http://www.japcarclub.com/jae/forums/index.php?showtopic=722&hl=

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the organisers of JAE in December announced it was likely (but not 100%) that JAE will be the last weekend of July, which conflicts with TOTB - I'm sure thats going to cause a number of problems as a lot of the attendees of TOTB were at JAE.

If it goes ahead on the date, our choice would be JAE as its a better all round event :)

Theres a thread here about it:

http://www.japcarclub.com/jae/forums/index.php?showtopic=709&st=30

Regards,

Gaz.

Aren't both of these events quite important for your product awareness- a Go and a Show? Would it be possible for Kevin to take the Envy car to TOTB and you show a customers/club members car to JAE to show what you sell, what you can do etc?

Aren't both of these events quite important for your product awareness- a Go and a Show? Would it be possible for Kevin to take the Envy car to TOTB and you show a customers/club members car to JAE to show what you sell, what you can do etc?

Both are important, however we don't have the manpower to do both shows on the same date.

JAE is looking v much undecided at the moment, I've not been able to speak to John yet so will have to play it by ear.

Regards,

Gaz.