The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rejuvenating the forum

Branners

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Discourse "The 100% open source, next-generation discussion platform built for the next decade of the Internet."

From a developer point of view it adopts lots of modern practices, easily allows for things like storage of all attachments in AWS S3 (Cloud storage) for example. All means faster, more reliable, hopefully cheaper.

Hi Branners, Pleased to meet you, i have been a member for many years and owned my MK4 for 23 years, this club and some of the members have been a life line for me especially recently when i carried out a headgasket replacement.

I like the Club as it is, BUT realize, like most things, nothing stands still, so i welcome a refresh.

Can you post your CV with a photo, there must be many members like me who do not really know you, we just look for the tech info we need and only really remember the member that helped us. Herbie.

Whilst i, like many dislike change. I really hope it's not the same software supra forums ran on. I stopped visiting as it become a convoluted mess impossible to navigate.

I mentioned Supraforums to JB, I believe he was going to check it out. Their forum suffered two hits. Dusty sold it to a company who basically use it as an advertising platform to raise revenue and as you say, the forum software wasn't great and that is where the other half of the problems lay. There was a massive thread on there somewhere, lots of issues listed and nothing was ever addressed.

Not AFAIK. I thought they used vBulletin too? Can't remember.

I've noticed Supraforums looks a lot different now to what it did even 6 months ago. Looks to have had a fairly major re-work?

It was originally vBulletin then moved over to XenForo. It seems pretty good but if you read the long list of complaints none of the teething issues have been dealt with. VerticalScope, the new owners are an acquisitions company.

Hopefully with the forum being freshened up and the new club car, we might start to see an increase of interest in club events and car shows.

Really demoralising putting in money and loads of time for an event for only a handful to turn up :(

Fingers crossed next year is bigger and we can back to having a good time :)