Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New setup advice, 800whp

What search button? Club Member bayside_supra's Avatar
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

New setup advice, 800whp

Hi everyone

I have had my single setup for about 2.5 years now, time to go further. I am thinking to push the bottom end more, if it breaks I will build it, rather than build it now.

I want to push for as close to 800whp as possible, and I want as fast spool as I can get. To do this I am thinking about changing the turbo, current Borg Warner is a journal bearing, so going Precision Gen2, upgrading the fuel system (another pump and bigger injectors), new intake manifold and 272 cams. I also want to raise the rev limit a little so new springs and retainers. Might need a new clutch too I guess.

Current setup is this and putting out just over 700fwhp:

Garage Whifbitz twin wastegate turbo kit with a Borg warner S366 SXE turbo
    Syvecs S6 ecu
    Toucan display
    Walbro 450lph fuel pump
    ASNU 850cc injectors
    Ngk iridium spark plugs
    Turbosmart raceport BOV
    SPEC stage 2+ clutch
    SPEC lightened flywheel
    Whifbitz 264 cams
    Whifbitz 4" intercooler
    Whifbitz 3" downpipe into 4" exhaust

Advise I would like is mainly on the turbo. Does anyone know how a Precision 6466 1.0ar would compare for power and spool against a 6870 0.87ar?

I want as quick spool as possible but I think eventually my power goals are going to go beyond the 6466. So the 6870 with the smaller housing would be better as I could always upgrade the housing at a later date, rather than the whole turbo.

Any advice on any other things I should upgrade or consider with this new setup? I know a few others are running this sort of power on the stock block, I do not use the car much so I am just thinking to save the £7k on the bottom end for a later stage.

Cheers
    1993 Aerotop 6 Speed Single

Follow me on Instagram @bayside_supra

I'm addicted now! Club Member
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    £7k on the bottom end?

Surely forged pistons/rods and rod bolts, polished crank would come in for under half that? Unless you're going stroker kit ..
    1994 Stock TT Supra & N/A 5 soon to be NA-T 6 speed

Do Luck owning Club Member Swampy442's Avatar
    Feedback
    51 (100%)
    800 whp is nearly 1000 actual hp, you'll definitely need injectors, fuel pump, probably a clutch for starters
    I would gladly pay you £10 to never log onto this forum again, and I am serious. Scott M

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
    I did terrible things to girls I had only just met, and they loved it.

SRD Project Auto Club Member Chris Bailey's Avatar
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Precision 6870 1.00 A/R
    ASNU 1500cc Injectors
    2x Walbro 485lph

Are you planning on running ethanol or just pump fuel? Ethanol will defiantly help, but youíd need fuel lines, injectors, pumps that can cope with ethanol.

Also Iíd say go for a 4Ē downpipe from turbo back.

It has been proven the stock intake can handle 1000bhp, but gains are to be had from an aftermarket intake.
    Life is like a camera...
    Focus on what's important,
    Capture the good times,
    Develop from the negatives,
    And if things dont work out,
    Take another shot.

Built not bought! Club Member
    Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AC93 View Post
    £7k on the bottom end?

Surely forged pistons/rods and rod bolts, polished crank would come in for under half that? Unless you're going stroker kit ..
    Labour is always a strong part of the bill in a proper engine build. If you do any head work etc, valves cams the price soon balloons

Work... what work? Club Member
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by bayside_supra View Post
    Hi everyone

I have had my single setup for about 2.5 years now, time to go further. I am thinking to push the bottom end more, if it breaks I will build it, rather than build it now.

I want to push for as close to 800whp as possible, and I want as fast spool as I can get. To do this I am thinking about changing the turbo, current Borg Warner is a journal bearing, so going Precision Gen2, upgrading the fuel system (another pump and bigger injectors), new intake manifold and 272 cams. I also want to raise the rev limit a little so new springs and retainers. Might need a new clutch too I guess.

Current setup is this and putting out just over 700fwhp:

Garage Whifbitz twin wastegate turbo kit with a Borg warner S366 SXE turbo
    Syvecs S6 ecu
    Toucan display
    Walbro 450lph fuel pump
    ASNU 850cc injectors
    Ngk iridium spark plugs
    Turbosmart raceport BOV
    SPEC stage 2+ clutch
    SPEC lightened flywheel
    Whifbitz 264 cams
    Whifbitz 4" intercooler
    Whifbitz 3" downpipe into 4" exhaust

Advise I would like is mainly on the turbo. Does anyone know how a Precision 6466 1.0ar would compare for power and spool against a 6870 0.87ar?

I want as quick spool as possible but I think eventually my power goals are going to go beyond the 6466. So the 6870 with the smaller housing would be better as I could always upgrade the housing at a later date, rather than the whole turbo.

Any advice on any other things I should upgrade or consider with this new setup? I know a few others are running this sort of power on the stock block, I do not use the car much so I am just thinking to save the £7k on the bottom end for a later stage.

Cheers
    Would be interested to see your power graph for your current setup if you please. Going with the 362sxe but just like to see different setups for comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback
    Only other issue i have heard about is physical torque the stock bottom end can take. You may have to have the fueling done to reduce torque or rods will be bending.

As far as setup. I think you have hit most items on your list. If you are after saving money aswell, just get springs and not retainers for your valve springs. An extra £200 on titanium spring caps for no real gain unless you are planning on raising the rev limit alot.

If you are after the best spool possible then keep with the stock intake. I have seen back to back dyno runs with stock to aftermarket intakes. Aftermarket will make you hit bigger numbers later on in the rev range and overall higher hp but sacrifice spool by nearly as much as 500rpm in some cases.

Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Surprised at the lack of spool on the new intake. I have an SSI one ready to go in, is this a bad move?

I have been thinking about running ethanol but I canít see an easy way to get the stuff. Any advice one that?
    Is meth injection worth looking into as it seems a bit more readily available?

The idea I had was the 6870 0.87ar with 1050 injectors and a second 450 fuel pump. Will this be enough fuel?

The £7k estimate was made up of around £4K in parts, £1k machine shop and £2k labour.

Sorry for all the questions in one post.

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by bayside_supra View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Surprised at the lack of spool on the new intake. I have an SSI one ready to go in, is this a bad move?

I have been thinking about running ethanol but I canít see an easy way to get the stuff. Any advice one that?
    Is meth injection worth looking into as it seems a bit more readily available?

The idea I had was the 6870 0.87ar with 1050 injectors and a second 450 fuel pump. Will this be enough fuel?

The £7k estimate was made up of around £4K in parts, £1k machine shop and £2k labour.

Sorry for all the questions in one post.

Intake : you will find the stock one will limit your power if your going for 800whp and will drop off earlier in the revs. The aftermarket one will help get your goal easier but again you wont have the reponse or quick spool as the stock one. Its a play off with what you want most.

My dad used to buy ethanol in 200L barrels and have it delivered to the house. But not sure how he aquired it nor how expensive it was.

Wmi is more readily available but... needs its own map for running the stuff. And needs to be topped up regular. There isnt many that run wmi in the supra scene that i know of. On tfsi cars they run it to keep the intake valves clean as direct injection cokes up the intake valves.

It needs to be monitored better than running ethanol and make sure its working correctly 100% of the time.

I would think 2x450 walbros should be more than enough, with new bigger fuel lines from the tank. Injector size: i know some people prefer to run bigger injectors 1200-1400 sizes but i think 1050ís might be right on the limit. Better off going sightly larger if you said before you may build the bottom end in future. Kinda future proofs your injectors and will still work well.

costing wise: i do all my own machining, engine work and everything else so for me cost is just parts. I also try and get stuff second hand. Can save a bit of money there

Feedback
    45 (100%)
    I think you are mad! and "Dad mode" putting this link in for balance........includes many comments from those who have been there and done that.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...ght=sweet+spot
    Number 8 ...........doing my best to keep
    Number 9 ........been and gone!
    Number 10 ........on its way

Feedback
    2 (100%)
    So what parts would I need to look at for the bottom end to hold my goal? I donít know that much about this side of things, I am guessing there are various degrees of building the block?

I donít like that idea of having to tone down the torque to save the engine, I think thatís why I have an issue with spool now. If you need to to do pistons etc to handle the torque then maybe I should.

But I am limited to about £10k total for this update, any advice on how that money is best spent would be amazing.

This is my current graph on a hub dyno...

Me? Post? Never! Club Member Style's Avatar
    Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Bottom end would be updated bearings (ACL or King), a set of rods that could probably do with the ARP 625+ rod bolt (most come with the 2000 bolt and limit power slightly), a set of forged pistons, ARP head studs and main bolts.

That’s about all you’ll need for the bottom end. Slap in a set of 262 cams, fresh gaskets and fluids...jobs a good un’
    '96 SZ-R 6 Speed.
    Whifbitz NA-T
    Project Thread Here

Feedback
    2 (100%)

Feedback
    I am now in the same boat as you for rebuilding and forgong the bottom end. But i rekon i can do all the lot for under £1200. Just gotta look around for the best prices. I find whifbits slightly pricy compared to some other places. All i will say is look around for the best prices. Money saved is always a bonus!

Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I am now in the same boat as you for rebuilding and forgong the bottom end. But i rekon i can do all the lot for under £1200. Just gotta look around for the best prices. I find whifbits slightly pricy compared to some other places. All i will say is look around for the best prices. Money saved is always a bonus!

Fair enough, is my list of parts complete though? Have I missed anything?

Itís not as many bits as I thought

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast