Thread: Underseal service recomendation

Work... what work? Club Member Scott-tt's Avatar
    Feedback
    3 (100%)

Underseal service recomendation

I want to get my supra undersealed does anybody have a good recomedation I want to find someone who's going to treat any existing rust and do a really good job I'm in Scotland but don't mind travelling for a really good job

93/L Toyota Supra SZ
    95/M Toyota Supra V8 Build
    95/M Mitsubishi FTO GPX Mivec SOLD

I'm addicted now! Club Member
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    1994 Stock TT Supra & N/A 5 soon to be NA-T 6 speed

Work... what work? Club Member Scott-tt's Avatar
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AC93 View Post
    Thanks that sounds perfect

93/L Toyota Supra SZ
    95/M Toyota Supra V8 Build
    95/M Mitsubishi FTO GPX Mivec SOLD

Me? Post? Never! Club Member
    Feedback
    My recommendation would be don't do it.

I've had and seen enough older cars where the underseal has either failed or trapped in live rust that it really is something I now avoid like the plague. If you paint a surface or coat it with corrosion preventive then you can see if rust occurs or reoccurs. If you underseal or raptor coat then its out of sight is out of mind.

Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rider View Post

I've had and seen enough older cars where the underseal has either failed or trapped in live rust that it really is something I now avoid like the plague. If you paint a surface or coat it with corrosion preventive then you can see if rust occurs or reoccurs. If you underseal or raptor coat then its out of sight is out of mind.
    What do you recommend ?
    95' Black TT6 UK Spec . UK spec Supra register LINK if you have a UK spec send me a pm or post on the thread

What search button? Club Member
    Feedback
    9 (100%)

I agree with rider on this point��

I'm addicted now! Club Member shaky's Avatar
    Feedback
    11 (100%)

Did mine 10 years ago, had no problems, but it's not seen rain in 10 years

Feedback
    Its a bit of a tough decision.

Rider is right, in that its not unheard of for people to get their undersides sealed up, and actually trap rust in, which can't be easily seen going on, and cause's bigger issues later.

Of course, the flip side is also true - if you don't do anything to protect the underside at all, and just leave it to chance,.. well then, obviously your unprotected, and rust is very likely. A underseal now, may prevent a much much more costly job later.

Catch 22.

I'd suggest put it up on the ramp, get a supra guru to go over it in some very serious depth and put it in a spotless state first before considering under sealing (obviously however, that might add on reasonable cost.)

Feedback
    44 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    What do you recommend ?
    You could go with pressure wash, steam clean, removing bits that are easy (exhaust, exhaust heat shields, tunnel braces exhaust hanger bracket, tow hook tank guard etc), elbow grease in the hard to reach areas. You will gather the general state from the bits you take off and what you then uncover, as generally how often do we really examine underneath?

I did this almost two years ago with one of mine, it was in good enough shape and I didn't plaster it with anything in the end, some dinitrol greasy stuff (under hockey sticks and rear brake duct/vents, I coated the tunnel braces in dinitrol under seal type stuff and por15'ed the exhaust heat shields and fuel tank cover. Also sprayed some acf50 around some places.

I had a little look under the other day and may strip it again to see how it's faired.
    Number 8 ...........doing my best to keep
    Number 9 ........been and gone!
    Number 10 ........on its way

Me? Post? Never! Club Member
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    What do you recommend ?
    I'd use POR paint or aquasteel on a prepped surface followed by zinc primer and a matt black or OEM colour paint. For tubular parts or hard to get to parts I spray Dinitrol 3125 which is a wax film corrosion preventive. That way you can see what is going on with the smooth top coat or wax film to know what is going on underneath.

Ride Or Die Club Member Supra-love's Avatar
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Got to say I’ve seen quite a few underbody restorations where they cover nuts, bolts, rubber grommets and even some of the lines.

Which just hides things and makes things more difficult to remove later on although mine didn’t have rust anywhere, I made the decision just for extra protection long term, although it’s never used in the wet etc, I decided I wanted it done.

I’m currently having my complete underbody restoration finished off now by little Num

Will start a thread on the project with all the pics once complete
    Last edited by Supra-love; 02-06-19 at 16:01.
    In the words of sir Winston Churchill, Never, Never, Never, Give Up.

The Non-PC Club Member Frank Bullitt's Avatar
    Feedback
    12 (100%)
    This is how to do an underbody restoration - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...ec-Restoration

BPU happy Events Organiser Shane's Avatar
    Feedback
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott-tt View Post
    Thanks that sounds perfect

It did for me too and maybe this is nothing, but may be worth checking out:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...filing-history
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
    Satin black BPU. 12.83 1/4 @ Santa Pod Saturday night special May 2015
    N/A auto, Red..Sold
    N/A Auto Silver..Sold

Daily commute BMW E53 X5 M57 power
    Nissan Navara D22 twin cab PU,Mercedes W210 E300TD, W202 250TD powered by veggie oil,
    Vauxhall Tigra with Isuzu diesel engine conversion. Powered by veg oil

Work... what work? Club Member
    Feedback
    Unless you are going to drive it regularly in rain and particularly on winter salted roads I would not do it. Having said that (noting that you want a good job) doing it properly is not cheap as there is a lot of labour involved.

What search button? Club Member
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    I have a UK car which has had to have a fair bit of work, stone guards replaced etc. I too share the concerns that a hard coating/paint can do more harm than good as it can trap moisture accelerating the rust and keeping any corrosion from view.

My regime now is to apply some of this every year or two to the whole underside and spray into cavities and gaps. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0035KKK66

These creep oils get into everything and displace any water, the down side is that as they are a bit thinner they will eventually wash off.