The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drag Racing Tips (10 sec street car)

Chris Bailey

After a recent trip to Japshow Finale with dad, It's got me thinking I would like to achieve a 10 second pass at Santa pod. Now I know its not going to be simple and going to require abit of work. But I think it can be achieved looking at the times from Japshow Finale. Below is the best 1/4 mile time.

RT: +0.6290

60 FT: 2.3047

330 FT: 5.6058

1/8 ET: 8.1297

1/8 MPH: 98.14

E.T. 12.0635

M.P.H 122.90

On a later run we got 126mph.

I know the 60FT times are not great, But all the races we did were on 19" rims and street tires. I know we could dip down below 2 second 60FT times with drag radials. And we still are running the stock cams, So top end is not at its strongest at the moment. Plus still running the stock auto diff. Am I right in thinking with a TRD diff we would get better traction and launch???.

Im also aware Jamie P run a 10.9 1/4 with around 630bhp - So I know it can be done :) If anyone has any tips or advice that would be great!

Cheers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a TRD diff would be a lot better for you from what I understand. From talking with your dad on Saturday I would say it would would get into the 11s easily with better cams and drag tires maybe into the 10s. It is a very nice car you have there and from talking to your dad is a setup I would like to aiming at for my own car

Im also aware Jamie P run a 10.9 1/4 with around 630bhp - So I know it can be done :) If anyone has any tips or advice that would be great!

Cheers

I did a 1.6 60ft on that run, same 60ft as I do in my GTR, you have the advantage of being auto, you will need a hi stall and some 15" wheels with new et streets, don't buy old tyres, waste of time.

Its got more in it - But would benefit from cams. You got any links Jamie to some 15" rims and tyres?

I can't remember the back spacing required now mate, have a look on supraforum and you will soon find it.

Edit, all the info you need is in the first post.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?324616-Drag-Wheel-Tire-Setup-Thread-*PICS*

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

You wont get a quicker time with a TRD diff, all my 10's were run on a stock J spec Torsen diff, the 15's will help but again all my 10's were run on 17's with drag radials, best thing you can do is get some DR's of some sort and a line lock to do a proper burnout and make sure the launch control is set to give as much boost as possible.

You wont get a quicker time with a TRD diff, all my 10's were run on a stock J spec Torsen diff, the 15's will help but again all my 10's were run on 17's with drag radials, best thing you can do is get some DR's of some sort and a line lock to do a proper burnout and make sure the launch control is set to give as much boost as possible.

Got some J-spec 16" with Mickey Thompson ET Streets lined up! :) I think dad wants the car re-mapped early next year so I'll ask Ryan if he can fit launch control etc. How much power was your running John when you done the 10 second passes?

[ANGRY][/ANGRY]

I had 272 cams a 67 P trim precision turbo, BL turbo kit, BL box with 4200 rpm converter an apexi SAFC and ITC running 2 bar boost.

I remember you taking me and my old man out in that many years ago. My first single experience, still remember how well it went.

Quite abit then! Never knew you could get 4200rpm converters. I hope the 3600 should see us down into the low 11's then :)

Theres no such thing as a set RPM a stall converter will stall at! It depends on the weight of the car and the torque it produces, you need to get Ryan to make as much boost as poss on the launch control, remember whatever you save off the line is X by 3 on the run, so if you shave a 1/3 sec off you 60ft thats almost 1 sec off the total time.

as for a fair bit the SAFC altered fueling at only 6 points for a relatively broad band and the ITC chucked a bit of timing in !!!

How many shifts was the run you did ???

- - - Updated - - -

[ANGRY][/ANGRY]

I remember you taking me and my old man out in that many years ago. My first single experience, still remember how well it went.

Nippy wasnt it !!!;)

Theres no such thing as a set RPM a stall converter will stall at! It depends on the weight of the car and the torque it produces, you need to get Ryan to make as much boost as poss on the launch control, remember whatever you save off the line is X by 3 on the run, so if you shave a 1/3 sec off you 60ft thats almost 1 sec off the total time.

as for a fair bit the SAFC altered fueling at only 6 points for a relatively broad band and the ITC chucked a bit of timing in !!!

How many shifts was the run you did ???

- - - Updated - - -

Nippy wasnt it !!!;)

Wicked! I'll have a word with Ryan next time the car gets mapped - Im not sure I didn't go passenger with dad on that run. I would imagine 3/4?